Planing Tapered Blanks

In the latest shop notes there are plans for a hardware cabinet with tapered drawer pulls. The author makes the tapered blanks by building a sled to hold the blanks at the proper angle as they travel through the thickness planer. The sled does not travel. Questions:
Has anyone tried something similar? Results? Tips?
I would think the surface of the sled would have to be slick to avoid having the blank "jam".
Any thoughts appreciated.
Ron
Wed, Apr 7, 2004, 8:10am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@ee.net (RonRobinson) queries: <snip> Has anyone tried something similar? Yep.
Results?
Excellent.
Tips?
Don't bet on horses.
I would think the surface of the sled would have to be slick to avoid having the blank "jam". <snip>
Slick? Depends on what you mean by slick. Mine's smooth, no prob, it is wood after all. And, not sure what you mean by the blank jamming.
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
Wed, Apr 7, 2004, 8:10am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@ee.net (RonRobinson) claims: <snip> sled to hold the blanks at the proper angle as they travelthrough the thickness planer. The sled does not travel. <snip>
Whoops, missed the sentence where you claim the sled doesn't travel, when I responded. Mine does. I'm not picturing a sled not traveling, and still planing a taper. That's why it's called a sled, it travels. Sure you're reading it right?
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
JOAT,
It sure looks like it from the picture. The "sled" (their word not mine) looks like a big T-square with the square registered against the infeed table of the planer. The directions say to tape the "sled" to the infeed table. It seemed to me (as it does to you) that the fixture holding the blank at the proper angle should travel with the work.
Ron
I haven't seen it but the fixture that holds the piece at an angle would have to travel with the piece.