Planer knives are sharp!

Note to self: If jointer clogs with chips don't reach all the way up the dust chute without gloves.
I was clearing some chips and reached up and ran my index finger straight into one of the knives. The blood, the pain. Luckily my private duty nurse put some Dermabond (superglue for skin) on the cut and sealed it right up.
The good news is a sharp blade makes a clean straight cut.
Dave.
Mon, Aug 6, 2007, 8:17pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (DavidBridgeman) doth exclaimeth: Note to self: If jointer clogs with chips don't reach all the way up the dust chute without gloves. I was clearing some chips and reached up and ran my index finger straight into one of the knives.<snip>
Interesting, actually it would never have occurred to me to reach up in one with or without gloves. I'd have used a stick or something - so I wouldn't run a finger(s) into one of the knives. Does that mean I do it wrong?.
J T wrote:

I guess I just didn't think I reaching up that far. In hind sight, it was a bit of a brain fart!
Dave
(David Bridgeman) doth exclaimeth: Note to self: If jointer clogs with chips don't reach all the way up the dust chute without gloves. I was clearing some chips and reached up and ran my index finger straight into one of the knives.<snip>
Interesting, actually it would never have occurred to me to reach up in one with or without gloves. I'd have used a stick or something - so I wouldn't run a finger(s) into one of the knives. Does that mean I do it wrong?.
Interesting...two decades ago I was splitting some bamboo with a machete....being careful not to cut myself with the machete.....sliced my hand open with the edge of the bamboo. We all do things wrong once....no sense to condescend.
regards...Ken
Island Teak wrote:

I was helping a buddy with some minor demolition. I'm wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. I have my safety glasses. I bought some new work gloves.
I cut the little cord that holds the gloves together with a utility knife. I was expecting a nylon cord, not cotton thread. The lack of resistance is spectacular: I neatly slice open my finger, requiring three stitches.
Safety precautions can be hazardous to your health.
Tue, Aug 7, 2007, 1:48am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (IslandTeak) doth sayeth: Interesting...two decades ago I was splitting some bamboo with a machete....being careful not to cut myself with the machete.....sliced my hand open with the edge of the bamboo. We all do things wrong once....no sense to condescend.
No condescend about it. I consciously think about what can hurt me in my shop, and I take steps to try to make sure it doesn't hurt me. As I know damn well jointer knives are sharp, I'm not about to stick my hand in something like that without seeing where my fingers are in relation to the blades. So, I'd use a stick. I also knew bamboo was used as punji sticks in Viet Nam too. It'll slide thru a regular boot sole just as easily as a sharp metal blade. Buddy of mine got a purple heart that way; and I never even saw a punji stick whie I was there. Go figure.
(Island Teak) doth sayeth: Interesting...two decades ago I was splitting some bamboo with a machete....being careful not to cut myself with the machete.....sliced my hand open with the edge of the bamboo. We all do things wrong once....no sense to condescend.
No condescend about it. I consciously think about what can hurt me in my shop, and I take steps to try to make sure it doesn't hurt me. As I know damn well jointer knives are sharp, I'm not about to stick my hand in something like that without seeing where my fingers are in relation to the blades. So, I'd use a stick. I also knew bamboo was used as punji sticks in Viet Nam too. It'll slide thru a regular boot sole just as easily as a sharp metal blade. Buddy of mine got a purple heart that way; and I never even saw a punji stick whie I was there. Go figure.
Well damn, I guess you know everything!
Tue, Aug 7, 2007, 1:30pm locutus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Locutus) doth stateth: Well damn, I guess you know everything!
Nope, but being around longer than most here, I've picked up on a lot more than they have.
David Bridgeman wrote:

Be thankful you at least had the smarts to turn it off first.
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:17:33 -0400, David Bridgeman

Yes they are sharp.
The Delta, Tupelo factory was designated a refurb center and one of the units refurbed was the small portable planer. We had more recordable injuries with planer knives during that period than any other single cause.
Be extra careful when changing the knives, that the wrench doesn't slip on the lock screws. that was a primary root cause. Special wrenches, special gloves eliminated the injuries, but, if you're handling hundreds of units a day, you can spring for such. If not, be very careful.
Frank