Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen knives,"?

Reply to
micky

Well, you can buy one and see for yourself.

Careful you don't cut yourself.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I've had a couple and yes, they are sharp and hold it for a long time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks. Good to know.

And I'll try not to cut myself. :=)

Reply to
micky

It's not mainly about being sharper, a steel blade can be sharpened the same as a ceramic blade and vice versa, the issue with ceramic is they hold their sharpness much much longer than a traditional steel.

Reply to
Meanie

Can the ceramic knife be sharpened at home without any special equipment when it does become dull ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There are sharpeners but I have no idea how well they work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Diamond sharpened I guess. I use the ceramic rods to sharpen steel knifes.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Use a Dewalt reciprocating saw with a smooth/knife blade.

Reply to
Jeff Mauro

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food professionals using them?

Reply to
badgolferman

I guess if you drop it on a hard surface it is going to break. A good knife can last many years and sharpening is not that difficult. Apparently ceramic knives stay sharp much longer but to restore a good edge might require sending them off to be resharpened.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Correct on breaking. Many butchers us knives from a service that comes in and sharpens them, replaces them, etc. They get a lot of hard use. While great for home use, I don't see them working as well for a butcher that does more than the typical straight cut.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ordinary kitchen knives" are not sharp at all, unless you sharpen them. If I left sharpening to the wife they'd barely cut through a banana, and I'd be forced into a life of decadent vegetarianism. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Brittle and easy to break would be one good reason.

Reply to
trader_4

Some people destroy their knives within minutes of taking them out of the box.

The proper way to cut with a knife is with light downward pressure and a back and forth sawing action.

If you slam it into the cutting board (like the TV chefs), you'll distort or roll the cutting edge. Then you have to resharpen.

Reply to
Bod F

They are brittle. That's something to remember when sharpening them too. When sharpening conventional knives many people introduce a bending force to the blade. What you don't even notice when sharpening a steel blade with snap a ceramic. Diamond stones aren't 100% necessary if you don't mind taking hours to wear down the edge.

Another thing from the conventional technique; feeling for a slight burr on the off side edge won't work with ceramic.

Steel, preferably carbon and not stainless, has sliced anything I've needed to slice.

Reply to
rbowman

I prefer a sharp knife for vegetables (for everything, really). It's much safer.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Google & read-up ...

Never use a normal sharpening steel on a folded-steel knife.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Probably the best reason to avoid them. If you drop your trendy ceramic knife on your trendy granite counter top you will have trendy Picasso art.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe there is some difference in how we interpret "ordinary kitchen knife".

I'm sure those knife sets that are sold are already sharpened.

I bought 3 large knives at a yard sale 10 or 20 years ago. I don't even take care of them and they're still sharp.

Every few years I buy a paring knife at the supermarket. They're still sharp, just not quite as sharp, when I buy a new one.

micky