Are chain link screws sharp?

On the People's Court, a dog is left to be boarded and it gets a cut in its front paw with much blood and requiring three stitches.

Acc. to the kennel owner, all it had was a cement floor, block walls, and chainlink gate.

Isnt the chain link attached with screws and nuts, with the head usually facing out and the threaded end facing in, and since nothing else is around, isn't it most likely arent' the end of one of the screws was sharp enough and cut the dog?

Do they make vinyl caps to cover the threads of the screws?

The owner seemed to sincerely think there was no way to make his kennel safer.

(Cost him over 1000 dollars in vet bills.)

Reply to
micky

More likely the dog was trying to dig under the fence and got cut on the twisted ends of the fence wire. They are pretty sharp. If this is a domestic fence they put the twisted end down and the bent over end up. On a security fence they turn it the other way with the sharp twisted ends up. That is usually 6' or 8' mesh tho. The other possibility is the wire they tie the top and bottom of the mesh to the rails. A good installer turns that twisted end in so it is not sticking out. I did a little "fencing" in High School. Lot of work for not enough money.

Reply to
gfretwell

Obviously the poor dog wanted out of its concrete prison cell kennel pretty badly.  Most people don't give a shit but kennels are a bad place to board a pet.

Reply to
Fido

There is always a way to cap or coat the bolts if that was the problem. Ignorance is the real problem. Chain like is used in most kennels so no excuses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sat 15 Sep 2018 03:46:15a, Fido told us...

I hae only boarded my cat once when I was unable to get a cat sitter. It cost a little more, but I preferred boarding our cat with our vet. She got very personal care, a large cage with cushions and toys, and all of her favoarite foods. If I'd had a dog I'd have done the same thing.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

We took our dog to the vet. They had some young girls that would take the dogs out, play with them for exercise. The dog was always happy to go.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

400 for xrays, and 2 visits. The first night he was vomiting, diarrhea, and some other bad symptom, so they took him back.

Yes, they have that stuff that one dips tool handles in. That would work probably if there are sharp spots and pre-fab caps can't be found.

I'll have to go find a chain link fence and check, though what screws are used in one place doesn't guarantee what will be used somewhere else. One could be sharper than the other.

It couldn't have been from digging because it was indoors and the floor was cement.

He was only there an hour this time before he got hurt. This was the

5th time the dog had been there, the other times for 2 or 3 days each with no incident, but he was very restless this time, the kennel owner said, "fence fighting" with the dogs on either side of him, who didn't respond. But they put him in a "kennel" with cement block walls and a "guillotine" door to the outside, where he hadn't gone, and a chain link gate, which I figure must have been the problem.
Reply to
micky