Plane Question

So first the gloat. I made my first bad ass mortice and tenon joint today. Bad ass meaning perfect, square, tight, ya know perfect. Considering the mortice was through three inches of african teak, three inches in length, and using my inch reg mortice chisel I am pretty happy with the whole affair.
So the question. I think a big chunk of the success of this joint is due to my new fancy Lie Nelson Rabbet Block Plane. It rocks, and is on sale at woodcraft this month. So finally the question, when I tighten down on the brass screw to lock the blade in place it frequently skews off the the side. It seems to be square ground, so I am thinking that it isn't intentional. Am I wrong about that? I am able to get it to line up straight but it takes quite a bit of playing around, something I wasn't expecting. Is this user error? User ignorance? Or something afoul with my new toy?
Thanks
Looks like you are having a hard time getting an answer. I wish somebody would reply, as I'm interested in that plane and getting it on sale, but not if its got those kinds of adjustment problems. I have a Lee Valley small block plane that does not have any of the symptoms you describe.
Of course it doesn't have the blade that goes all the way to the sides either - nice feature.
Bob
I suggest you call or email LN. Probably a call will be faster in response, but maybe not.
I've got a Stanley and I've got the Veritas medium, but there are enough differences that my info is worthless to you. Try LN and then let the rest of us know, if you will.
You may be getting carried away with tightening. The wheel is large, so it is easy to overtighten the lock screw.
From the point of just snug enough to hold the blade in place turn the wheel an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn. See if that causes the blade to skew significantly.

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

Lapping the sole might help to fix that...

You might try putting brass shim between the screw and the blade.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Lapping the sole might help with what? I did lap the sole, quite well in fact, but I don't see how the sold could have anything to do with the question being asked???
I think I was over tightening the brass screw, though even so it seems to drift a little bit. From looking at the problem it seems to me that the notch in the blade that beds with the screw that sets the depth might be out of square with the blade. Or maybe it should be out of square more or something like that. Meaning I think the notch and the blade ride parallel to each other, and when tightened that is somewhat off.
Or something along those lines.
Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

It might help stop the plane from rocking.
--

FF

PS (I should have used a smiley!)

So it seems there is a misunderstanding due to the vagueries of local dialectical variances.
I was saying the plane rocks. As in is real sweet. Like I am into it. Not rocks as a rocking horse rocks.
The problem is with the blade adjustment, otherwise a great little plane.
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:29:22 -0800, Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

"He who laughs last didn't get the joke."
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com