Pinging: Charlie b

Charlie, I tried guessing at your email addy, but guess wrong. Could you clarify? Thanks!
dave
replace AT with @ and DOT with a period as in accesscom.com - yes my ISP included com in its name and they have a commercial .com suffix (is that what you call what comes after the dot?)
charlie b
charlie b <charliebATaccesscomDOTcom> wrote:

It's an accurate descriptive term , yes.
The 'technical name' for the rightmost part of a name is the "top-level domain", or TLD.
The next part to the left is, oddly enough, the "second level domain", which could be abbreviated SLD, I suppose, but I don't think I've ever seen it used.
"foo.bar.com" is a third-level name,
"And so on, and so on, ad infinitum."
The formal terminology comes from set theory, with a lower-level being considered a sub-set of the higher level. Thus things might be referred to as "'accesscom', within the .com domain", for example.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Robert:
Thanks for the information. Caused a horrible flashback to the early days of GIS - "schema", "attribute", "parent/child", "DDL", "DAP, digitizing menus the size of my assembly bench and dark rooms with dual screen pale vector displays, pen plotters, "pucks" with cross hairs - shudder. The early days of data base management and computer graphics were bad enough but when worlds collide and GIS got started - oh the horror. And everybody had their own proprietary hardware, software and terminology.
Then the first Mac and its GUI came along and I escaped the bounds of computer geekdom and started "playing with computers" rather than "working on/against computers".
And now I'm learning a new language - of woodworking. Dado, rabbet/rebate, miter/mitre, rail and stile, cope and stick, flitch, riving knife, BLO ... "Working" harder and enjoying it more!
charlie b