Ping: spray lacquer experts

I used some Deft rattle can semi-gloss on two turned bowls. Three light co ats with 30 minutes drying time between coats, per the instructions on the can. The bowls are not quite as smooth as they were before spraying. I ha ve some micromesh pads, equivalent to 1000 grit. Question: if I give the b owls a light sanding with the micromesh am I going to muck up my lacquer wo rk?

BTW -- first time I've used spray lacquer and I sure like the look!!

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

So here's the thing, lacquer is fast drying, but it really requires time to harden. The longer the better, in a month it is really up to full hardness. It gasses off for about that long.

If you start sanding now, you will end up with clogged sandpaper. You can wet sand it use some dish detergent in the water to break the water tension, and clear the swarf away., but for the best outcome wait a week, or more.

Then sand it. You used semi gloss which I never use. I always use gloss, then sand or use steel wool to get the look that I want. If I want a real mat look, I might do a dry spray... ontop of the wetter coats.

if it is not really bad, you can use steel wool or scotch brite pads, and go through the grits.

Reply to
woodchucker