Ping Leon - Sawstop problem?

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, July 5, 2013 9:17:09 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

the max displacement.
No, it is not proportional. I pointed out the estimated % displacement the guy was showing for his numbers. If he had applied more pressure, the est imated % at rest dislacement would be less. Part of his validating that hi s evaluations are completly trustworthy, also, depends on his validating th at his caliper is accurate.
No matter, in either case, I suspect both his SawStop and caliper are worki ng normally, reasonably, within their limits and/or tolerances.
Sonny
On Friday, July 5, 2013 12:09:49 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:

And because it's not proportional, less force applied could achieve the same amount or close to the same amount of rest displacement as the larger force.
Again, more data is needed and the concern is warranted.

Assumption.

On 7/4/2013 10:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

I am not real familiar with that particular SawStop, It is the Pro/hybrid version, basically the bottom end unit. Mine is the ICS, Industrial cabinet saw.
I am wondering why SawStop has not been contacted. There are bolts that can be loosened and if they are loosened this will happen. Most any saw will be sloppy if every thing is not tight. The whole assembly is moving, I even see the brake moving. His arbor is not the moving by it self, it is the whole carriage. Basically what is moving is the adjustment to make takes care of setting to keep the blade parallel to the miter slot when the blade is tilted. Older TS,s uses shims between the table top and the cabinet. The SawStop and perhaps even yours use a different method for this adjustment. It is basically how the Euro style saws are adjusted.
On 7/5/2013 4:07 PM, Leon wrote:

To follow up a bit and after looking around a bit. I would be willing to bet that when he pushes on the arbor that the back and or front of the cabinet is flexing too. I think the play is the give in the cabinet area that the trunnion sets on. This is one of the reasons many move up to a full blown cabinet saw with much larger/wider trunnion to cabinet contact point. My old Craftsman contractors saw bevel angle would change if you pushed in on the right side of the saw under the table.
My ICS Saw stop has trunnion mounts that are the entire width of the saw cabinet, front and back. The table bolts directly to the trunnion mounts so if the cabinet flexes and or has any movement the trunnions and table move as a unit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8635558850/in/photostream/