Ping Leon

I replaced the broken spring in the base of the Speedbloc and the vibration problem has been fixed. Thanks again, JG

Reply to
JGS

could you detail this fix/diagnosis? I have the same sander and it about shakes my arm off on the lapses of memory when I forget and turn it on. I was going to send it back for replacement, but if it is easy to fix, I might do that instead.

TIA,

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I have learned the hard way that every thing on the pad/shaking end of that sander has to be tight and perfectly balanced. Several years ago the spring on mine broke and made a lot of noise although it did not move freely. I removed the spring and clamp thinking that a solution had been found. Ha! I could hardly hold it from all the excess vibration. I put the broken spring back and clamp back on, and the vibration went away. I might add that replacing springs or clamps on the pad assembly is a chore. Replace the whole pad assembly. The local PC repair shop recommended replacing the pad, clamp, and spring assembly altogether. Seems they have seen/heard horror stories about parts being thrown loose when operating the sander and a spring gave way. The pad assembly replacement is a 3 or 4 minute job and every thing is new and tight. It'll set you back about $35.

Reply to
Leon

That was a real PIA wasn't it. LOL I took mine off and put it back on a immediately after realizing the weight of the spring is very important in keeping the sander balanced. I never use the clamps on the router and thought that I could simply remove the broken/noisy pieces. If I have not mentioned it, after the spring breaks the base usually breaks requiring the pad assembly replacement. About $35.

Reply to
Leon