pie crust edge

Anybody have a link for instructions on how to make/apply a piecrust edge to a table?

TIA,

Joe

Reply to
Joe C

Wet fork. Press REAL hard.

Reply to
CW

salad fork, dinner fork or some other type of fork off the shelf?

Reply to
Joe C

?

With a fork?

That's what my mom used on her pie crusts.

?

;}

Reply to
Mark

lol!!!

Reply to
Rob V

Dinner for pattern, heavy duty.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Got a good router? You can make your own fork! Or you can get a deal on ebay and take the rust off yourself!

My mom never used a folk - she neandered her pie crusts with her fingers around the edge.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

And if he meant a "scalloped" edge, well, that takes *mussels*, too.

Reply to
admin

Let's see...I had an aunt that used to use her false teeth to make pie crusts....And you do NOT want to know how the donuts were made.... :)

Joe C wrote:

Reply to
The Guy

Joe;

I'd take these collective replies as: "No, we don't know."

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

This thread has been phun... :)

Not online, but the book "Woodcarving, the Beginners Guide" by Wheeler and Hayward (ISBN 0-8069-8790-1) has an entire chapter (12) devoted to pie-crust edges. Basically, the interior of the top is turned flat, leaving the molding on the edge to be carved from the reminder. Real pie-crust edges are not applied, they are carved in place...

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Reply to
Michael Latcha

Finally!!!!

Thanks Michael.

I was assuming they were applied since I've seen some rather large pieces (36" across) that had that detail and I don't know how the center portion could be turned. Now, power carved, that may work....

Thanks guys, that was fun.

Joe

Reply to
Joe C

Joe, you could use a router to remove the inside waste since I doubt you have the capability to turn a 36" dia top. At some point most of the inside will be removed so you'll need a spacer the same thickness as the removed portion for your router to rest on. Use a router would be easy to ensure a uniform amount of wood is removed across the top.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Now that I think of it, Mom did finger pinch the crusts.

She used a fork to distress the top and bottoms.

Reply to
Mark

Traditional Piecrust was always carved in the solid, never applied. I'm not sure it could be applied, in fact. Basically, the top is turned, dishing out the center, and turning a molding on the edge. The edge molding is then carved, leaving some of the turned portion, and hand-carving the rest.

You could use a router as well, using a variety of jigs. It's still alot of handwork, though.

Eugene Landon had a nice article on carving pie crust edges in Fine Woodworking, back in 1987, I think. I believe it was the cover photograph, in fact.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

Yea...it has brought a chuckle or two. I learned to put the edge on the piecrust with my fingers...I use a fork to punch holes in the crust to keep it from puffing up.

And, although I can't bring the exact issues to mind, I am pretty sure that American Woodworker (a few years ago) and (I think...) Fine Woodworking have had articles on carving this edge. If one has a lathe big enough to turn the table top, it is pretty easy to get the basic form done. One can also use a router to hog out the depressed center. I have not taken on that project, yet, but, I think about it every so often. Actually, if truth be known, when that happens, I usually take a couple of Aspirin and lay down for a minute, and the feeling goes away. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Oooh Mean! My Mom always used her hand to distress my bottom....

Steve

Reply to
Steve and Lizzy