Photo and Article Credits

To protect yourself in the future of people who might snag an image or an article it would be a good idea to attach a copyright By Line on everything you do. And/Or a copyright disclaimer at the end. Even contact information. Then if someone does want to use your material you can be paid for it. You don't need to sell the article outright but sell a use license based on number of printings, number of years it can be used, etc.

If the material does not have a copyright attached to it the snag-or has a out if caught.

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

A question or two. Is just indicating that the material is copyrighted legally binding? Or does it really need to have a copyright license? Or is indicating that it is copyrighted like putting a "large dog sign" on your fence when all you have is a cat?

Reply to
Leon

Every work is copyrighted, just by the act of creating it. A "license" (registration) may entitle you to monetary damages, whether or not any "profit" was made. A copyright statement, without registration, simply names the owner of the work, perhaps making it easier for anyone who want to use it to either license it or beg forgiveness. ;-)

A "large dog" sign may just be an invitation to a suit should your cat maul someone. ;-)

Reply to
krw

If you're the creator of the work and you have not sold the copyright then it remains yours whether you stick a © symbol on it or not. If the material is valuable then registering it makes sense but how many woodworking photos etc. would that apply to? *Enforcing* your right if someone swipes the material is another issue. What it comes down is whether the material is valuable enough to justify paying a lawyer to threaten to haul someone into court--who is going to pay thousands of dollars to protect a photo or whatever which is never going to generate enough revenue to justify the cost of threatening to sue? Sometimes just complaining about unauthorized use of such material is enough to get it taken down, especially if you've tagged it in a way that identifies it as yours (I know that can be done although I don't know the technical details). But beyond that it's a matter for the lawyers, and that's going to cost you.

Reply to
DGDevin

LOL.

Be forewarned that nothing on earth brings more self-styled expert opinion into the fray than the phrase "copyright" ... a phenomenon noted, on networks like Fido, long before most Googlectuals alive today could spell "www".

... and even more likely to be misleading than the proverbial "electrical" question on the wRec! :)

Reply to
Swingman

How would you prove that you yourself did not steal the "what ever" and claim it your's if you don't legally register it?

Reply to
Leon

As I said, if it's valuable enough for someone to steal then registering the work would make sense.

If you're the one with the photographic negative, or the server logs showing you uploaded the work to your website before anyone else, or you mailed a registered letter to yourself with a copy of the manuscript sealed inside and so on and so forth then you're probably going to prevail in court. But again, how much trouble is it worth to protect a photo of the birdhouse you built or a short article on how much your wife hates it when you track sawdust into the house? Serious copyright protection is available to those willing pay to pay their lawyers to provide it, the rest of us can write a letter of complaint but if that doesn't work then we probably have to chalk it up to experience.

Reply to
DGDevin

Under US law you don't have to do _anything_ for a work to be copyrighted--your kid's scribblings are copyrighted the instant she touches crayon to paper.

The difficulty comes in proving that you were the originator of the work. With your kids' scribbled crayon drawings it's not a problem--possession of the paper with the drawing will generally do it--but with digital proving that you were the originator is more difficult--this is where registration of the copyright helps (it also confers some other benefits, like you can collect both punitive and actual damages and violation of a _registered_ copyright is a criminal offense as well so the government in principle will take care of it without you having to go out of pocket for a lawyer). The trouble is that registration costs 45 bucks (but you can register a whole bunch of stuff for that 45 bucks--it's not per item, it's per form filed.

You might want to consider steganographically signing your images--unlike EXIF data there's no way for anybody to tell that the signature is there without extensive analysis, and if done right then it's hard to remove too.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The posts at techdirt.com offer some perspective on copyright...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

OTOH, you can download "Circular 92 - Copyright Law of the United States and Related Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code" (dated October 2009) in full from

(1.6MB)

At 350 pages, it's not a quick read, but might make meaningful dialog with a capable attorney possible.

Found with a Google search. ;-)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I had to look up steganography to know what you were saying - and it looks like pretty neat stuff! I think I'm going to have to write some code to try it out. :)

From a practical standpoint, wouldn't having a dated original (higher resolution) copy of an image would be sufficient to establish origination?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

In keeping with my original post, and before you forget how you did it, quickly Google and post a link to the NEC and we'll surely have all bases covered, eh? :)

Reply to
Swingman

Not in a court. Applications exist to alter EXIF and other information. Having another photo of the same scene with a date-proving item (newspaper front page, for instance) may be effective.

But it's SO easy to manipulate an image these ays, that proving anything is going to be a battle of the expert witnesses. It better be worth your time and money.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I just downloaded (and am about to delete) "NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code - 2008 Edition" (840 pages, 7MB) from

'm not sure if that's what you're after or not. As long as I have the Yellow Pages handy, /I/ don't need it. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That's actually a good idea--if you use commercial stego then someone with the same software may be able to detect that there's something there--if you roll your own it's going to be pretty much undetectable.

That should do it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Doug Miller

As you indicated in the part I snipped but also what needs to be considered.... If you buy a widget and leave it out and it gets stolen, you also are the actual owner of that widget but with out proper registration there may be no way to prove ownership.

If one is complaining about carelessly not protecting something of value to themselves they pretty much get what they receive. If you lay a baseball cap down on a park bench and leave it there for a week and don't find it when you come back you cannot really blame the person that picks it up and makes it his. I would also suggest that if you post pictures on the internet you should expect the same. THAT IS NOT RIGHT, BUT you have to take responsibility for yourself and your property if you value them and quit expecting others to watch over you.

There are thousands of laws that are not and will not ever be enforced, those laws are esentially moral suggestions for those that don't know any better. A moral law however is not going to actually guarantee protection for you or your property.

Reply to
Leon

No lawyer needed. Registering a copyright is just a matter of sending off the refistration fee - $45 IIRC - and a copy of the item along with the proper form. Note that items can be ganged; i.e., many can be registered with one fee.

The advantage of registration is that it provides recovery of statutory damages of up to $100,000 plus lawyer's fees plus actual damages (money lost by infringement); actual damages need not be proved, merely the infringement. Registration must be done before the infringement and within

3(?) months of publication.

One can also recover for use of unregistered material; however, one must register the item before bringing suit and - unless the time constraints mentioned above are met - recovery is limited to actual out of pocket damages. No lawyer's fees automatically awarded either.

Reply to
dadiOH

and electrical issues. What a relief! :)

Reply to
Swingman

You can apply for your own patent too, that part is relatively easy. But in both cases as soon as someone violates your patent or your copyright you either let it go or start spending money to defend it. At that point you have to ask yourself if spending umpteen thousands of dollars over a period of years makes sense, will the work in question make such an expenditure worthwhile? How many readers of rec.woodworking are in a position to invest that kind of time and money over some web site using a photo or whatever without permission?

A takedown notice might cause website operators to remove content you claim violates copyright, but if they don't how much will you spend to pursue the issue? Big companies send takedown notices all the time (the DCMA is a corporate playground), but their notices have teeth in them because they can afford to sue.

I've known people who obtained patents and instantly sold them to big companies because they knew the idea would be ripped off and they'd be unable to spend the money to defend the patent, unlike a big company which has serious landsharks on retainer. A right you can't afford to defend is a bit pointless, that's why I said that copyright protection is available to those able to pay their lawyers to provide it.

Reply to
DGDevin