Philisophical Woodworking Question

Page 1 of 5
This is not my fault. This morning I was thinking, and I thought about the recent thread on Pondering in the Workshop.
Now, I am not religious, I consider myself spiritual now, rather than Christian, altho originally raised Christian. Still believe in God too, just probably a bit different perspective than most people. High Priest for the Woodworking Gods.
That said, the question: What does a Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, or whatever, woodworker say when he hits his thumb with a hammer? If he was raised in the U.S., I figure he's probably gonna put "Jesus Christ" in there somewhere. Far as that goes, what would an Amish woodworker say? I don't care how religious you are, there aren't too many peope who aren't going to say something.
Now me, I know for a fact that sooner or later the words Jesus Christ would probably fit in there somewhere. Probably proceeded by sonovabitch, and several other choice words.
And, I'm convinced there is no athiest or agnotic in existance that's just going to say "Oh my, I have gone and hit my thumb". They'll be instant converts to religion, and calling on God and Jesus.
The more I think about it, the more curious I get.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss

I usually utter an 'AAAHHH SHIT!!!', firmly grasp the injured digit, then dance in place to placate the Hammer God.

That would be "Thor", as in "Thor Thumb" his full name, as given to him by a lisping Viking many moons ago, shortly after he invented the hammer. Man had no need for gods until tools were invented.

Hmmm. me too.

When that depends on how hard I have hit my thumb. Having put up a couple thousand linear feet of wood siding 2 summers ago, I can speak from personal experience.
I know that when I have really injured myself there is just a sucking in of air as tears well up in my eyes.
For lesser blows, "Bastard!" is a personal favorite followed by colorful but not expecially creative explatives.
-Steve

When I shot a 3" long framing nail into my left index finger (lengthwise) while building my house, it was "ouch. Son of a bitch. (pause) (look) Son of a BITCH!".
The X-ray is impressive.
That's one xray I'd love to see. Your story reminds me of the guy who took an 18" auger bit straight thru the skull. For those who haven't seen it....
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/090203_nw_drill_survivor.html
Wonder what _he_ said?
Joe C.

Wayne

That gave me the willies!
Dan

I'm screwed
(snip )

Post pics in ABPW!!
Mekon

Gotta find the film & scan it. I'll put it on a webpage and put a pointer here when I do.
Dave

How?? I just got a framing nailer, and would like to avoid this.

I was building a half-wall, and things were a bit wobbly. So, I was holding one of the studs in place with my left hand, while nailing with my right hand. The nailer bounced against the top plate of the half-wall, and double-fired. The second nail out of the nailgun hit the head of the first one (which was properly embedded in wood), and as it couldn't go down, it went sideways-ish. Recall that my other hand is below and somewhat forward of the intended nail location.
Nail broke out the side of the wood, flew through the air down six inches, and lengthwise into the tip of my left index finger. Missed the bones, missed the nerve and tendon bundles, and came right out with a pair of pliers at the hospital after being carefully checked for the above.
It was not pleasant. Worst part was, because I wasn't sure if I could drive, and my now-wife, then-girlfriend was looking a bit pale about the whole thing, is that I had to call 911 for transport, and of course the ambulance that responded is the one that I'm an EMT with. Still haven't lived that one down.
Dave "Hey look, I've got 11 fingernails!" Hinz

Double ouch. Working in a station 25 years, I know how teasing goes (and comes). But, if you can't stand the heat..... LOL
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:01:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

J T wrote:

Well, my German friend says "Shit" in those circumstances. "Sheise" just doesn't do it. I think it's the hard consonants. Consider the following candidates: Sex!, Copulate!, Coitus!, Fuck! See, it's those hard consonants. Fuck! is much more satisfying.
Nonetheless, the word doesn't matter _that_ much. My father-in-law, a very devout Roman Catholic, makes up his own swear words. For some reason they involve the Demgee brothers. Take any word, say it the right way, and it becomes an expletive. That's why banning naughty words doesn't do a damn thing.
-Peter

"whimper whimper... Mommmmmmyyyyyy!"
-j
J T wrote:

"Oh dear, I sincerely wish that I had not done that. Oh my, that is very painful. I must learn something from that."
    mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Or something akin to "fuck me. damn. damn. damn. Dumbshit." Whilst the dancing goes on.     j4
All I could think of was that little martian guy from the lonney toons cartoons saying that now I have to clean the monitor again LOL Chris Melanson BLH Millwork