Pet ramp plans?

I'm looking to build a pet ramp for aging Golden. Anyone have a plan for a vehicle pet ramp?

Reply to
Jason

lost my Golden last summer. 15 years young. Still think about him everyday.

Reply to
Dukester

Thanks! I hope our golden lives a healthy 15 years! Shes only 7 and showing signs of a old lady already!

Reply to
Jason

Glucosamine and condroitin (I spelled both of those wrong, I bet) did wonders for our aging (now departed) German Sheperd/Golden Lab.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thu, Jan 13, 2005, 4:34pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jason) says: I'm looking to build a pet ramp for aging Golden. Anyone have a plan for a vehicle pet ramp?

I doubt you'll find plans. Probably a piece of 2X12 would work. You probably haven't done a search either, have you? Try google, and get some inspiration.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

SWMBO made a set out of that solid 2-inch-thick foam insulation. It isn't a ramp, it's a couple steps but the ol' dog likes it fine. Uses it to get up on the bed.

She thinks it's a better material than wood for this use. Really light, plenty solid, and you can stub your toe on it in the dark without screaming. Covered in with some leftover fabric and it looks pretty nice.

I think she's right. Sometimes wood isn't the right material. Sometimes.

Want me to hunt down the website she found it on? It's not much of a project. Just cut the sheets to size and laminate them together to form steps, either with spray adhesive or something out of a tube gun, then cover 'em with something. I can't go hunt for it till tonight sometime.

Reply to
s2s

I lost mine to cancer last June. Couldn't go into the workshop for 3 or 4 months afterwards because he had always been in there with me while I fiddled around making firewood. It was just too hard to go in there without him. Shut off the tv once in a while and use that time doing something she likes. They are here and gone too quickly. I have a 12 year old Lab/ridgeback that has cancer now. It seems like I just lost my Golden and now it's happening all over again. Two in one year is rough.

Give'r a big hug for me.

Reply to
Dukester

Heck, i just wish i could get my 2 yr. Golden to wait until i open the door before trying to get in the truck. He usually has a lump on his head from hitting the passenger door trying to get in before it's open. Plus, the door has several marks from his paws where he jumps on it to "let me know" he wants to go to. I dare say they are about the most energetic creatures on earth. If you've ever watched one make a water retreive, you'll quickly realize this. And the fact that they don't have a tail. It's really a rudder! Hope all goes well with yours, they really are man's best riend. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I built a wheelchair ramp for our front door out of 2X4" and 1/2" plywood. Not much need for plans.

rcook5

Thanks for the idea.My golden Joe is 13 yrs thankfully pretty healthy but he needs help into the truck and the occasional bed trip. I kept thinking ramp which would be to heavy long etc... The idea of steps and made from the insulation panels is great. Light weight and rigid enough for my 90lb bud Sorry for your loss. We know our time is limited with Joe I guess that's the deal with dogs Joey

Reply to
joey

Keep in mind that your dog may want nothing to do with a ramp.

A few years ago my 12 y/o Golden was having trouble going up and down the stairs on our back deck so I built her a ramp. She wouldn't go near it.

I thought maybe it was that she was sliding on the ramp so I added traction strips to it. She wouldn't go near it.

I thought that maybe she was afraid of it because it was open on the sides so I added side panels. She wouldn't go near it.

For the last two years of her life she was carried, all 100 pounds of her, up and down the stairs.

I still miss it.

Nova

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 04:47:20p, "Dave Jackson" wrote in news:YTCFd.6178$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

That's how Zeke was, just a year ago. Almost from one week to the next he went from not touching one step on the back deck, both ways, to having trouble jumping up on the bed. He seems to be dealing with it better'n I am.

Reply to
Dan

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 02:34:08p, "s2s" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Ah. Here it is:

Dan

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:03:50 GMT, Dan vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. PMFJI. Have you had him checked out for injury? Hernia, back injury, ligament?

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri 14 Jan 2005 01:06:23a, Old Nick wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep. He's just old. The only thing that surprised everybody including the vets was how long it took to catch up with him.

Reply to
Dan