pecan

I obtained a couple pecan logs (about 4 ft long, 10" diameter) Ultimately, I would like to make a small table top from them. Should I leave them dry for a couple years as they are (uncut, with bark) or should I saw them up now?

Reply to
prasarita

You need to cut them quickly and then dry them properly. If you let them dry as logs, they will develop checks.

Reply to
Bruce

Rough saw them up NOW, then store and dry

John

Reply to
John Crea

Have them sawn now -- the quicker the better. Bugs LUV pecan. Make sure to get the bark off too (DAMHIKT!!!) Sticker, stack, and let dry approx. 1 year per 1" thickness.

Cheers, Gary

Reply to
Gary Greenberg

Have as much of it sawn in 8/4 or more, this will give you options if the boards cup or twist during drying. You can always resaw once it's dried and you've figured out your exact plans for your project.

Cheers,

Reply to
A Dubya

Reply to