Pawn shop inflation

Page 2 of 3

I'm not in that business, but the explanation _is_ fairly simple. The 'secondary' re-sellers price based on 'what they know' about the marketplace. If it is a piece they are familiar with, for which there is a 'mass market', they will sell at a 'significant' portion of list price, and offer to pay 'less than that', when buying, of course. With stuff that they are _not_ familiar with -- high-end, 'pro', stuff, for example, they don't have any real idea of the 'worth' of the pieces, *or* _how_long_ it will take them to find a buyer. Thus, they'll only offer to pay a 'pittance' (pennies on the dollar, or less) for the item -- finding _any_ buyer for *that* item is much more of a gamble than with well-known 'consumer' stuff, and price it 'to sell'. They're not interested in maximizing their dollar return, as much as maximizing the turn-over of the inventory.
The type of client who brings things _to_ the shop may not be who you want in the shop. The same five fingers that lifted what he brings can work on what you've got.
Pawnbrokers have to consult some general reference to price items. I imagine it's MSRP on the internet.
As to real estate, it's the cost of money, not the cost of the footage that drives the market.

One of the clerks in the pawn shop I frequent compares the cost that is marked on an item with what he finds on EBay. IMHO if you pay what an item is marked in a pawn shop without asking something like, "how much do you want for this?" or bargaining then you've probably bought a few bridges in the Brooklyn area before. Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Thing is, they mark the price so high, that one doesn't even feel that trying to bargain to a reasonable price is worth the effort. i.e., that policy can work against them.
Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

Yeah, they love it when somebody just pays the sticker price. Around here anyway stuff usually goes for 60% of what's marked. Less than that if you catch them at a time when they'd rather have some money today than see you walk away empty handed.

There's a used tool store in Cambridge, Ontario where the owner's philosphy isn't much different. The place is stuffed floor to ceiling, and he whines about having five times that much in storage, but if you ask the price on anything, he makes up some story about the price of a new one, and offers it to you at about 20% more than new retail.
Last time I was in I asked about a 3/8" air ratchet that looked like it had been dragged in behind a towtruck from the next city. Only $80, as is.
Of course, he had a brand new one-ton Ford with every option beside the store, so there must be enough idiots with money to keep him going...

Same philosophy keeps Ebay going strong! Greg
Mon, Oct 18, 2004, 5:32am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@home.za (PhilHansen) claims: Maiden on her way to you. All charges prepaid <G>
From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Maiden \Maid"en\, a. 1. Of or pertaining to a maiden, or to maidens; suitable to, or characteristic of, a virgin; as, maiden innocence. 2. Never having been married; not having had sexual intercourse; virgin; -- said usually of the woman, but sometimes of the man; as, a maiden aunt. 3. A woman so ugly none will have anything to do with her.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Mon, Oct 18, 2004, 8:55pm (EDT-3) novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com (LarryJaques) is trying to enter the religion game with: No, no, no. You're supposed to send the virginal maiden to me. Send JOAT the middle finger off your left hand. He'll give the finger to the WW gods. Er, so to speak.
OK, we'll compromise. Phil, you send Larry a sheep, and I'll give him the finger.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:25:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) calmly ranted:

That's no compromise, sir, except of me. (Make it a ewe.)
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:35:50 -0700, Larry Jaques

<http://www.ratedtoons.com/flash/Dirty_Deeds.cfm
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:55:48 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Damn. Ewe owe me a new monitor and keyboard, boy. <sheepish grinne>
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:11:12 -0700, Larry Jaques

Baaa, not me! :-)

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

No problem. Consider it done. :)
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

'acourse, it's kinda a long trip for JOAT, going all the way up to Larry's just to finger a sheep....
Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 5:26am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com says: 'acourse, it's kinda a long trip for JOAT, going all the way up to Larry's just to finger a sheep....
You're absolutely right. Time to delegate some authority. You're now the Chosen One. The Woodworking Gods will bless and watch over you.
And I made them promise not to take along the video camera.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
First I wrote: OK, we'll compromise. Phil, you send Larry a sheep, and I'll give him the finger.
Than on Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 6:03am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@home.za (PhilHansen) wrote: No problem. Consider it done. :)
Unless you're made at him, best not send him a blind ewe. He might live near a cliff.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.