painting the etchings on a framing square

I have an old steel framing square that had alot of surface rust that made it difficult to read. I used a sanding block to to bring it down to a brushed steel surface. It is much improved, but I could be better if I could fill the etched markings with some sort of pigment. I tried a wide sharpie followed by a re-buff. That didn't appreciably darken the lines.
Has anyone ever had any success trying something similar?
Thanks,
Steve
Get a small touch up bottle of automotive paint-from anybody/any make. Apply it to the line areas-let it harden fully, then re-sand using a flat block wrapped in wet/dry paper-keep flushing with water as you go-result will be a nice shiny-well marked square. A light spray of clear sealer (Krylon) will preserve the shine for quite awhile.
Stephen, why not try using a very smooth/fine roller, and paint everything BUT the etched lines? That may achieve the same effect.
Shane Andrews
Stephen M wrote:

Years ago I was a tool and dye guy. We used something very similar in composition to a pastel, you know those soft crayon like things. The parts templates would be finished and have all the necessay info stamped on them. They would painted a flat back and then we would rub this crayn like thing over them and then wipe. The material stayed in the stamped info and would last quote some time.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:04:23 -0400, "Stephen M"

Unless this tool has some special meaning to you I'd be inclined to buy a new framing square... too much effort for a relatively low valued working tool... Note, however, that one time I took a 1/2 size framing square and hit it with the random orbit sander to make it usable for a project. Real quick like... haven't used it again since then either!
John