Painting MDF?

Page 2 of 2

I thought the only appropriate finish for Cherry was semi gloss latex paint. Maybe I'm confused.
I am covering an existing brick fireplace and mantle so I am a bit constrained. I also have a home that is not so upscale so I want to bring in some class but not so high end that it is over done. I am using some classic influences and holding the stacked molding down to a minimum. I am using an MDF backfield to be CNC'd by my buddy to match the shape of an archway I am constructing betewwn the living room and kitchen to tie the things together. Here is a link to my current design.
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/images/fireplace.jpg
Nice design. That should be quite a bit of upscale.

I like your design. Painted MDF should work fine.
I haven't tried it, but some people recommend using wood glue to seal the edges of MDF. Shellac should work fine, too. You're just trying to prevent that area from soaking up tons of paint and leaving a rough finish.
Pre-drill before you put in screws. MDF is so dense that it swells a little wherever you use a screw, especially if you screw into the edge. Someone else recommended countersinking both sides of screw holes, and I agree.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I like BIN pigmented shellac as a primer. After that, it's perfectly paintable.

Can't help there.

I've used Bondo and drywall compound with great results, followed by BIN.

See #3
Barry
In article <13f46dc9-bf82-4f10-94b7-

It takes paints fine. My paint guy recommended a water based primer (contrary to my expectations) and I took his word for it. I have built several cabinets for our kitchen from mdf, brushed with water-based primer, sanded smooth, then oversprayed with several coats of enamel. They have come out very nice indeed, including the edges.
One cabinet that is attached to a wall on one side and supported by a pillar on the other side was brush-painted in place by my wife, and that one does not really come up to what I'd consider acceptable standard, but that may just be her (lack of) brushing technique. Or my perfectionism. Anyway, I'll opt for spraying if it comes up again.
-P.