paint/finish for whirligigs

Hello everyone
I have a question regarding how to properly protect something like a whirligig that is outside all the time. Can I paint it with water-based paints and then use marine varnish over that? What is the common-sense approach here? Also, are any kinds of wood better/worse that others in terms of absorbing water?
Thanks very much. Adriaan
Joe (posing as Adriaan) wrote:

Yes. You'll want to apply a sealer coat of dewaxed shellac between the water-based paints and varnish. Zinsser makes a good one, and it's available at the BORG (accepted nomenclature for The Home Depot). Look for Zinsser Shellac Sealer. It's good stuff. Thin it 2:1 fresh alcohol/sealer.
O'Deen -- http://www.klownhammer.org/ - Home of the World-Famous Original Crowbar FAQ
On 3 Oct 2003 08:46:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Joe) wrote:

Primer
Aluminium paint (to protect the wood - this is the layer that does all the work)
Coloured paints
Varnish (to protect the coloured stuff. Use one with good UV resistance)
-- Smert' spamionam