Ouch

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, July 6, 2012 11:03:08 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

That has not been my experience. A while back I was resawing on a TS and there was a significant hollow on the blade side of the board. Due to the extremely splintery nature of the wood I was wearing leather gloves. About halfway through the cut the blade came out the side of the wood and I felt a slight vibration on the tip of my middle finger. The blade had cut through the leather and had just nicked my finger. The blade didn't catch and slam, it cut.
On 7/7/12 8:31 AM, JayPique wrote:

I sit corrected. :-) As I mentioned in Leon's reply, I would like to see what happens with a glove made of kevlar and steel mesh. I think a strong woven fabric would be a different story than natural animal hide.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/7/2012 10:28 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I could see the the steel mesh cutting your hand off if it did not cut and got pulled in.

I have this vision for a horror movie. The Cheese Slicer Glove of Death Watch as the stainless steel wires are pulled across the fingers of prisoners in the torture chamber
On 7/7/2012 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah!

I didn't realize that leather was a "new-age" material.

Apparently *you* are not aware of what a "cut resistant" glove is for.
Their purpose is to protect woodcarvers from a slip of a knife or carving chisel. They WILL NOT protect your hands from a saw blade. Sure, maybe the blade won't cut through the glove, but it can sure as hell snag the fabric. When a 10" table saw blade (tip speed approximately 110 mph) snags the glove, what do you suppose will happen to the hand that's inside the glove?
Wearing gloves of any sort when operating power woodworking tools isn't very smart.
"Doug Miller" wrote

That fits into the category of neckties, long sleeves, untamed long hair, etc. Anything a fast moving, cutting tool can grab is dangerous. Don't give the tool something to grab! It is that simple.
On 7/7/2012 12:06 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

No problem ... ex post facto, file a suit against the manufacturer in Massachusetts.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/6/12 11:19 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

It will cut through the glove... followed by the hand, followed by the bone. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/6/2012 9:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And like the gloves were going to prevent a cut. Actually the gloves don't add any danger from the aspect of pulling your hand into the blade, the blade will simply cut through the leather as it wold the wood or your hand. I have conducted an experiment with leather/canvas work gloves. I laid the glove on the saw and pushed it into the blade with a stick. The glove stay where ever I pushed it regardless of how far into the glove the bade had cut.
Now gloves around a drill press or lathe would be another matter, the glove is less likely to be cut and really pull you in.