OT: WW in Seattle area

Page 1 of 2
Earlier on today I applied for a job in Seattle. At the time I was only half-hearted, yet, after thinking about it, I realise I am quite qualified for the position. So, if it were to come off, what is the area like for acquiring wood? Expensive or not? I haven't been in the States since late 1999 and I never got to Seattle when I was there so I am not familiar with it.
This time though, I'll make sure I get to a WW show or two, and meet up with some fellow moron bench dwellers!
Greg
Greg Millen wrote:

I checked woodfinder for a very wide search since you didn't say exactly what you wanted and there appear to be lots. The first 10 were:
search criteria: Retail or retail/wholesale sales businesses closest to zip code '98115' Thank you for using WoodFinder! Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #2 Seattle WA (2 miles) Compton Lumber & Hardware Seattle WA (6 miles) Crosscut Hardwoods, Seattle Seattle WA (7 miles) Hardwoods Supply, Inc. Redmond WA (8 miles) Woodcraft Seattle WA (10 miles) Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #15 Tukwila WA (16 miles) Edensaw Woods, Ltd. Port Townsend WA (37 miles) The Wood Well Port Townsend WA (37 miles) Western Green Woods Port Townsend WA (37 miles) NW Wood Tacoma WA (38 miles)
Hope that helps, Dave in Fairfax (with parents in Seattle)
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

I imagine that almost any hardwood that was harvested in the United States, and then needed to be shipped 2500 miles, then retailed, would be 'expensive'.
On the other hand, the Seattle portion of the world has marvelous native woods in great variety and abundance, with which artisans have been creating really nice things, for generations.
One of the great activities I have been wanting to see in the Northwest is the wooden boat building gatherings. I can do straight and plumb, but if one of my tables isn't exactly perfect, nobody has to go swimming. The folks who build wooden craft that brave the ocean when everything isn't just perfect deserve a whole different level of respect, in my mind. I suspect they have much from which I could learn.
Some September, maybe....
Patriarch, who would REALLY like to visit some of the Viking museums someday, being of Danish descent...
patriarch < wrote:

Take a look at http://www.woodenboat.com/ the Family boatbuilding link for small boats, and the Online Calendar for events. There are also links to large wooden boat building projects there also. Joe

Woodworking?!?! You philistine, we don't cut down trees in Seattle, we hug them. Besides, haven't you heard about the constant rain? We make everything out of plastic and concrete. With the rain and being so close to salt water, all of our tools rust out anyway. ;-)
I have purchased wood from Crosscut hardwoods, the local Rockler franchise, and Hardwoods Supply. I have not found any great bargains on wood at these locations.
If you are in town, check out the showroom for Northwest Fine Woodworking in downtown Seattle: http://www.nwfinewoodworking.com/
Neil
Quilted maple is one of our local specialities. There are some pictures at the bottom of this page.
http://www.randlewoods.com/photogallery.htm

It's a good place to live and a good place for WW. If you think you're going to actually get there, drop me a note and I'll spill all I learned living there..
Good luck with the job! Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Greg Millen" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
calmly ranted:

Hmmm, doesn't "Seattle" mean "42 degrees and raining" in the Haida, Siuattle, and other Indian languages?

(Ditto, Grogs.)
======================================================== Save the Whales + http://www.diversify.com Collect the whole set! + Website design and graphics ========================================================
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:06:16 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

If you can't see Mt.Rainier, it's raining - if you can see it, it's going to rain.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

And that's pronounced "rainy" + "er", right?
--

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has
become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:10:25 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

An authoritative "yes" - spent my first 46 years on the west side of the Cascades (and a few summers on the west side of the Olympics - read rain forrest).
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:46:22 +0000, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Make that forest - my son's name is Forrest...
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:46:22 GMT, Doug Winterburn

Yeah, the leeward side do get a bit damp. Brookings gets 100" and we get 32. The difference is a set of hills.
--

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has
become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:45:56 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Dat'd be the windward side :-) I learnt never to pi^H^Hspit into the wind.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 04:03:46 GMT, Doug Winterburn

Oops, I be on the leeward side, but far after your liquid has dropped. Your next comment reminds me of the SNL rendition of and old Dylan song which went
"The answer, my friend, ain't pissin' in the wind. The answer is pissin' in the sink."
======================================================== What doesn't kill you + http://diversify.com ...makes you hurt more. + Web application programming ========================================================
They named a mountain after the beer? Cool.
BTW: I miss the big red 'R'. The green 'T' just just do it for me.
codepath
Doug Winterburn wrote:

"You can tell when it's summer in Seattle -- the rain feels _warmer_."
Q: What do you call the first sunny day after 8 months of rain in Seattle?
A: Monday
codepath
(of Bellevue, WA)
Robert Bonomi wrote: