OT: Two parties

Page 2 of 9
Han wrote:

I'm for it! But the SC decision does not allow corporations to fund campaigns - the change merely allows corporations to speak out for or against a candidate. They are still prohibited from contributing directly to a candidate or coordinating their expenditures.
Allowing a corporation to spend money on behalf of a candidate does not mean the corporation can use the money to buy votes! It means the corporation can expend funds to get more information - true or false - in the hands of the voters. More information is usually good.
We spend more in this country on potato chips than campaigning. I say the more money spent, the better.

But, but, there are 3 things in electioneering, facts, well-founded opinions (on all sides of the issues), and falsehoods. To me it is getting more and more difficult to separate them.
--
Best regards
Han

I call bullshit. When have you ever seen facts enter an election campaign?

You think that is wishful thin king on my part? Maybe democracy isn't such a good idea after all??
Just feeding the righteous ... (snickering sarcastically) - nothing personal REALLY!
--
Best regards
Han

Are you an American? If so, why do you think you live in a democracy? You don't.

Well, it's not like you're strong on facts...

Be gentle now, you old fart curmudgeon, he's one of the good guys! <g,d&r>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Don't get me started on what Canada did for the Dutch... My great uncle came home a serious mess after WWII and liberating Holland.
And now they kowtow to the islamists and prosecute free speech...
On Jan 31, 11:32pm, Dave Balderstone

They're heading in the same direction as the French. They want their country back and life is no longer as simple for a muslim as it once was.

I take umbrage at your suggestion that the Dutch denigrate the Canadian contributions to their liberation. That is not a true reflection of how the Dutch feel. ANd I can go on about that.
I grew up in Wageningen where the Allies under the command of the Canadian General Foulkes accepted the surrender of the Germans on 5 May 1945. My high school was on the "Generaal Foulkes weg". I am very grateful to the Canadians (and other Allies) who liberated Holland. I have expressed this more than once.
I don't know anything about the Dutch prosecuting free speech. As far as I am aware of they very painstakingly protect free speech, to rather extreme extents. As for kowtowing to islamists, the Dutch have always let people do their own thing, and sometimes that has gone to far, yes. But do read "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It gives (IMHO) a good idea of what we are all up against. Ms. Ali is now working for a conservative think tank in Washington DC, I believe.
This is a link to the memorial for WWII with in the background the Hotel De Wereld where the surrender took place. I believe that usually there is more activity in this "square" than shown here. <
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Blote_Jan.jpg
"blote" means naked, unclothed. "bestand" means file
Off my soapbox.
--
Best regards
Han

The recent decision doesn't do anything of the kind. You better read it again.
J. Clarke wrote:

Given the fact that McCain/Feingold and other laws have been passed that ban political speech (i.e., the exact speech the founders were seeking to protect) and other rulings have protected junk mail, spam, and offensive material. It's very likely the founders would have specifically included clauses delineating the protection for freedom of political speech by all people of the US, not just a protected press class that happened to own presses and other media distribution capabilities. That, or just slapped silly some of the people claiming otherwise.

Rob Leatham
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Belief: An opinion with nothing to back it up. GB Shaw
The existence of the Constitution is a fact. Perhaps you meant "I believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution."?
Pedantry out of the way, times do change. A document designed for a sparsely populated agrarian society may need some adjustments for an overpopulated post industrial society.
Or do you also obey all of rules in the Old Testament? Which, BTW, *is* a proper subject for "belief".
On 1/29/2010 11:42 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Like the ten commandments?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Or the Three Commandments . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkRYaMiP4K8

Dave in Houston
"Dave In Texas" wrote:

He always did have a humorous way of cutting thru the crap.
Lew
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:11:18 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Why does everyone always get the number wrong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L940yIeVZzE

-- It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self. -- Agnes Repplier
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

========================Probably because it ain't funny Magee.
Lew

Eh, you had to be there!
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:16:06 -0600, Swingman wrote:

I know I shouldn't say this, but ...
There's no penalty for breaking the ten commandments :-).
And no, I don't accept creation myths that say there is.

Nonsense.
Believe it is the highest law of the land. To be obeyed. Important. Means something.

...and the FF fully appreciated this and left a means of change. It's in there.

I haven't killed anyone, if that's what you mean. Note that the country does not state the Old Testament as law.

I thought you had all you pedantry out of the way?