OT The Storm

The excitement could not be at a higher level, if you need proof of this turn on the TV to any local Houston station and you will get 24 hour around the clock coverage. We saw this during Rita 3 years ago and began to see it last week. This week is different however, we are probably going to have strong winds for the first time in 25 years.

For the last 48 hours we have witnessed "on the scene" reporters pointing all the drastic changes that are starting to happen. Tides that would normally be at a certain level are already 3 maybe 4 inches higher than normal. With 105 mph winds this has become a "strong and dangerous" storm as over the last 48 hours the winds have increased by 5 MPH! We have been reminded over and over and over and over again what a Cat 5 storm could do although this one is barely a Cat 2 and expected to be a Cat 1 at land fall. It could however magically be a CAT 4 if the media's wishes come true. Hell, we are way behind everyone else in number of storms, we need a bad one, we are due and we want what is due us. Oh!... back to reality.

I cannot tell you how informative it is to see lines of people waiting for buses to evacuate from Galveston Island. The news coverage there is shockingly thorough. I have learned what a couple of teen age girls think of the whole situation and that they are more behaved than the reporters kids. I have learned just how important it is that a 10 year old boy can take his little dog on the bus ride also. When asked for the 3rd or 4th time how important it was for him to be able to take his pooch he finally came up with, "A Lot". And it only took 5 minutes to get the answer that the reporter was apparently looking for.

Another exciting scene was from a street corner in Galveston where we all witnessed cars going down the street in lighter than normal traffic. Across the street we saw a boarded up fast food place and on our side of the street we saw a Sonic that was open for business. An Exxon station had cars filling up with gas! Oh! Be still my Heart!

If you were wondering, Home Depot has wood and generators, Good to know and well worthy of round the clock coverage. I think I will run out to Home Depot in a few minutes to pick up some stain and get in line.

Countless references and comparisons have been made of this storm to Carla. Carla had its strong effects here 47 years ago and occasionally there is a reference to the most recent storm Alicia, which hit here in 1983. To be honest with you I think we get snow more often than hurricanes. Darn!

I know that soon we will have the relief of seeing our local reporters changing over into their Kmart approved Alaskan King Crab fisherman gear to weather the first sprinkles of precipitation preceding the storm. It goes with out saying that all of them will be go out to the water to stand ankle deep in water and describe how "treacherous" the water is. They will point out that the water goes up and down the coast line as far as the eye can see. As the storm nears the reporters will seamlessly go in to "wind reporting mode". Your apparently cannot really get a grasp of how windy it is unless you watch a reporter do his thing, or go outside your self. Yes the reporters put on a good show and it keeps your attention as you look for the remote to find another channel. "Its really beginning to pick up" yells the reporter, I can hardly stand up in the wind, watch me squat and lean in to the breeze that is hardly strong enough to blow my pony tails or my loose fitting cap. During this interesting display you see a family of 4 from Oklahoma enjoying the beach in the back ground. And for those of you that don't get out much there are countless shots of boats tied up at the docks. I was surprised to notice that there were no cars tied up at the docks.

ANY WAY...... I have personally been through 4 hurricanes in my 54 years, my first 3 were in Corpus Christi before I was 15 years old. Houston has had 1 storm since, and I was in it also. My third storm in Corpus Christi started out as a lot of fun as I leaned at an angle into the early winds in our front yard, 3 hours later I believed that my family and I would be killed. As we stick our heads out the front door for the first time there was nothing quite like seeing an entire complete roof sitting in our front yard and blocking the street. It came from the house across the street . Looking to the left the apartment complex 1 block away is all but gone. Looking right and 3 houses down more houses with walls but no roofs. All of these homes and the apartment complex were less than 6 years old. That was

38 years ago and it still seems like yesterday. Typically a hurricane brings a lot of wide spread and varying degree of destruction and for probably 90% of the people that experience one there is not much to talk about except the reporters on TV. The loss of electricity is typically the biggest problem to the majority. Occasionally a storm is terrible beyond a reporters wildest expectations. More often a storm is built up to be more terrible that it turns out to be. IMHO reporters basically do a disservice to the community. They let their excitement get in the way of facts. They scare most into a panic with exaggerated adjectives that simply are not true. If the reporters were to ever once experience a storm that is terrible I highly suspect that they would cover their next storm from a few hundred miles inland.
Reply to
Leon

We went through the Hurricanes that hit Wilmington North Carolina in the late 1990's.

We found it amusing to watch the reporters show the sea grass and discuss how hard the wind was blowing. One of the favorite spot to show how bad the flooding was, was to show pictures of an area of the county that flooded in a heavy dew.

Another thing was the reporters who would go out on the areas of Wrightsville Beach, which are only marginally suitable for building houses in normal times, and show how the ocean was eroding the beach and threatening the buildings.

I believe the highest spot in the county is only 24 feet above sea level.

I thing the solution to damage in hurricane comes from the bible. If you build you house on the sand expect the wind and wave to wash it away. If you build on a rock (Or high ground) you are not going to have a problem in a hurricane with winds.

With our world of 100% news coverage the reporters have to make everything seem to be the end of the world to maintain the viewers who are use to the violence of TV shows today.

Reply to
Keith nuttle

That is just SOP for storm reporting. Anyway, I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to determine what they know about the storm path. The conclusion is that Fort Worth may or may not see much. However, did you see that Childress recieved 6 inches of rain yesterday from a Pacific storm? It certainly is a very long way from Childress, Tx, to the Pacific Ocean.

As near as I can tell, we can expect 45 mph winds and 2 inches of rain. We get lots more of each from spring thunderstorms. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I live inland in an area hit by the remains of a hurricane in 1954, the wind was not bad but it rained for several days straight after a week of earlier rain, causing floods. Roads were damaged, trailer parks washed out and houses were damaged. After that episode, the government declared ALL areas that were flooded were to become permanent flood zone with no building was to be ever allowed on the lands. It remains that way today. The flood zones are all parks. Plus we have never had a repeat of the earlier hurricane floods.

Why do other governments forget the past and allow houses to be built in unsafe areas?

Reply to
EXT
[lots of stuff I can identify with snipped]

Having been raised in South Florida for 13 years, then living there for four years again 30 years later, and now in North Florida for a second five year tour (total 28 years in Florida), I've had more experience with hurricanes than some folks. I can't even name all the hurricanes I've been through. I know that we were in the eye of two of them in the '60s (meaning they passed right over us), and Charlie in '04 went right over us, too. Anyone who knows anything about hurricanes, however, knows that you can be quite a ways from the eye and still be significantly impacted.

Coverage sure has changed. Back in the day, one usually got one, maybe two updates per day, which, with a storm moving 30 miles per hour or less, is about all you need. Today's 24/7 coverage is ridiculous. Imagine your relative is driving 1000 miles to visit you. Imagine them talking to you on their cell every mile of the way to keep you updated on their progress. It won't take but about 30 minutes for one or both of you decide that you really don't need to hear from them again until lunch or the motel. That's about what 24/7 coverage of hurricanes is like.

I started getting upset with the constant updating phenomenon with Georges in 1998. We were visitng some friends in TN who had friends in Key West. They were practicallly glued to the Commercial Channel (some call it the weather channel, although it probably should be the Whether Channel, because anytime you tune in, there's a 50/50 chance of whether you'll see any actual content or not). I could understand their concern for their friends, but they were nearly 1000 miles away, and there was nothing they could do about it. Their constant, and pointless focus was a huge distraction in our activities. I tried to share my long experience with hurricanes to allay their concerns but the damned Whether Channel was singing its siren song.

A year later, back to South Florida, we got Irene, which was SWMBO's first hurricane. A glancing blow, if you want to call it that (euphemistically or otherwise), the eye passed about 25 miles west of us, but it was less a wind hurricane than a rain hurricane. Broward County was absolutely drenched. The Whether Channel and other media had SWMBO convinced she needed to get out in the gray, blustery, spitty days before its arrival to stock up on milk and plywood--the archetypal staples of hurricane "readiness" (followed closely by flashlight batteries).

We got the hat trick here in Volusia County in 2004 with Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne. By the time of Jeanne, there weren't any tree branches or other detritus left to blow around, so it was fairly benign. We still spent two days without power. No big deal, you say? Try that with a CPAP machine, sometime.

And of course there's Katrina. Poor New Orleans. Unfortunately, everyone (except those who lived it) forgets that Miami got pounded with Katrina first. Yeah, yeah--scale--I know. It all depends on whose ox is being gored. Then, while all the focus was on her devastating effects in NOLA, Miami gets hammered again with Wilma. The condo we lived iin (but not by then, although my mother is still there) still hasn't fully recovered from Wilma.

The recent Fay-asco had/has me so POed I can't see straight. I didn't make the scale, and maybe it needs to be revisited, but technically tropical storms have wind speeds from 39 MPH to 73 MPH. I can assure you that there is a world of difference in those marginal speeds. In the entire coverage of the Fay-asco in Florida (was it two weeks?) I never saw a wind speed reported higher than 40 MPH.

Yeah, there was lots of rain--particularly in Brevard County (the county south of us). But every time I looked outside, my front yard was dead calm--maybe some tops movement in the higher trees around, but not really much more than usual. And yet, the Whether Channel (and everyone else) hammered, hammered, hammered (obligatory WW reference?) about Tropical Storm Fay.

You see, if you sell a tropical storm as sort of a heartbeat away from a hurricane, you have marketing opportunitie$ galore. But if you report it as a barely enhanced tropical depression, you got squadoosh. Follow the money. Thus, we got days and days of "almost a hurricane" coverage, when in truth, it was barely a tropical storm.

Land fall. It hit Key West, it hit Collier County (Naples), it crossed the state (and by the way, the Whether Channel morons were predicting it would increase in strength as it went across, in utter defiance of the laws of hurricane physics and the collective conventional hurricane wisdom developed in the last century), soaked Brevard County, sat off the coast of Daytonoa (just a couple of miles from me), and meandered north toward Jacksonville.

Now, I can assure you from contemporaneous and on-the-scene experience, that it's virtually impossible to claim that it was out to sea at any point between Brevard and Duval (Jacksonville) Counties. Even if one had been able to pinpoint some imaginary spot in the "eye" (which was almost always poorly defined at that point in the storm) as being offshore (for "landfall" counting purposes), a cyclone is so huge that anyone within 100 miles of that spot is laughing wet at the notion that it's not still "ashore."

So how did we jump from two landfalls and a vaguely theoritical potential third at Jacksonville, to four? I maintain it never left the state after Naples (until after crossing the Gulf shore westward from Jacksonville), thus rendering its appearance in Jacksonville as part of the same, second landfall. I'll concede that it might possibly, somehow have been a third landfall at Jax, if the definition or positon was wildly exaggerated, but they were "forecasting" a fourth at that point. It's a miracle.

Don't even get me started on forecast tracks. A tropical wave 2000 miles east of Barbados and they post a predicted track through Florida (almost two weeks hence). Threre will be people in the area around me talking about "the hurricane we're getting." Ludicrous doesn't remotely begin to describe it. And they don't even fill their bathtubs or start stocking up on milk and plywood...

One final thought, which I'm confident will net agreement from Leon based on his report of the reporting: do we really need to see one more idiot in a canoe paddling down a street ankle deep in water? Or however deep it might be?

Reply to
LRod

Officials: Flee Ike or 'face certain death'

Reply to
Leon

Leon ... hit the power button, put the remote down, and back away from that TV!!

My next door neighbor (from CA, and obviously sorry she had elected to stay) asked me this morning what to do ... told her the first thing was to turn off the damn TV!

Reply to
Swingman

Well, if the forecast 20-ft+ storm surge really materializes and you're one of those in such low-lying area (to whom the directive/warning was aimed), that's pretty good sum up of likely consequence. And, if one waits to see and it does happen, it'll be too late.

If, otoh, one is farther inland/higher and has good protection, odds are better.

From what I hear/see, the storm surge from Ikey is much higher than what would normally be expected from a Cat 2 and the size of the cyclone is quite large extending the surge area extensively.

So, what are they _supposed_ to say?

"Hang around, hope you can swim?"

Reply to
dpb

Got to admire our public officials for their calm, level headed, rational, panic-avoidance approach to unusual circumstances.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

The announcement mentioned anything about specific areas.

They may as well have made that announcement a week from now. The area has been evacuating for 2 days. The head line announcement was aimed at the masses. The masses are ahead of the announcement. They need to be targeting individuals that are staying in dangerous areas.

The local government has been making it a "Big Point" for every one to stay put unless you are in a tidal surge area. If every one that is going to be affected by Ike were to evacuate there certainly would be many more deaths. During the last exodus 3 years ago 2 million people evacuated the city and that was started by reckless comments like the one I quoted. Its exactly like yelling "FIRE" in a movie theater with limited exits.

Reply to
Leon

I literally sent this comical bit to channel 2, 11, 13, and The Weather Channel. Channel 11 IIRC responded that they were sorry that I was so jaded. They apparently missed the point.

Reply to
Leon

they may be wrong but they may be right! Haveing been through 2 BAD ones and several false ones I understand where you are coming from but given the shear size of this beast I would be erring on the safe side. JMHO. we hope to hear from ya in a few days. good luck to our houstonians and those from surrounding area's. I realy hope the media is just hyping it up! :-]

skeez

Reply to
skeez

Actually, I have to agree. The local government seems to be on top of the situation and is requesting that only people that live in certain zip codes evacuate. They don't want to see a replay of what the media started 3 years ago. I'm sure that if the comment I copy/pasted was a government remark it was certainly taken out of context.

Reply to
Leon

The point I am trying to make is that 98% of the news coverage is more of a holiday for the reporters to play at the beach. They really are not being of any help at all. Only the announcement by city officials are of any value. And as I stated in another response, the local government only wants those in certain zip codes to evacuate and for every one else to stay in place to make room on the roads for the those that need to evacuate. It would be impossible for every one in the Houston Metro area to flee Ike, that was proven with disastrous results 3 years ago with Rita.

Reply to
Leon

lmao. I know what you are saying. they make it realy hard to believe them! If you are at least 30 feet above sea level there probly isnt much to worry about exept wind and rain. I just hope the oil rigs and refineries come through all this in good shape. our gas here in N.C. has gone up over 50 cents a gallon in the lest 3 days! We are over 4 bucks a gallon in some places again! It's all bullshit! IF stuff gets destroyed THEN we should see the rising prices. NOT NOW!!! anyway our thoughts are with you folks down there and hope all goes well. KEEP UR HEAD DOWN!!! :- ]

skeez

Reply to
skeez

"Leon" wrote

I can already see the commercials from "The Texas Hammer" next week: "If you listened to their advice and stayed put and got hurt, call 1 800- ..."

FYI: Finally got my generator started this morning ... and it runs the margarita machine just fine!

Nuff said! :)

Reply to
Swingman

I heard it last night and it was quite specific.

That was exactly what the announcement from the hurricane center was after.

It's possible MSNBC didn't translate the message, they I don't get.

--

Reply to
dpb

"Leon" wrote \

No damn wonder ... they share a large bit of the responsibility for the "crying wolf" that resulted in 10 times more deaths from the last "evacuation", than from the storm itself.

Reply to
Swingman

Gas went up 13 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario Canada last night, which is just shy of 50 cents a US gallon. We have our own gas and oil, and are a major exporter to the US, go figure.

I just can't understand it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Leon wrote: ...

If that's all that was given, it certainly was. I saw the actual announcement/warning last night on one of the networks; I forget which. In response to the (inevitable) leading questions it was reiterated repeatedly this was _ONLY_ for those who would be affected by 20+ storm surge, most particularly those in headwaters of inlets, etc. Others on high ground were told to hunker down (or up, maybe :) ).

OTOH, they were adamant that if you're in low area, this'un's gonna' be bad and your chances of riding it out in those areas aren't good.

--

Reply to
dpb