ot technology:

I bought one of Apples new Ipads and was amazed at what it could do.My wife and I use it mainly to talk to our daughter in Amsterdam on facetime . It is so reassuring to see her and talk in real time. The world is changing fast and its hard to keep current on anything.

Sal

Reply to
sal

I'm on my third iPad, and in my third year running day to day operations in construction/remodeling using an iPad (DropBox and Priority Matrix are my main goto apps, among others).

There are three iPads in this immediate household; recently helped my 89 year old father to purchase one; and my daughter and SIL in the UK each have one, which we all use, with FaceTime, to stay in touch with each other over long distances.

Basically, the iPad has revolutionized the way I do business on a day to day basis.

Reply to
Swingman

Is or was your Dropbox free for a limited period and/or are you paying for it now? My recently purchased Samsung Galaxy S3 comes with a 50 gig (I think) free Dropbox account for two years and then they'd start charging for it.

So far, I've resisted the urge to use the Dropbox because I know I wouldn't be interested in paying for it after those two years lapsed. I just don't what to get into the habit of using and relying on it, despite all the advantages that it offers. But then, I don't have anywhere near the organizational needs that you have with your business.

Reply to
Dave

What are you using for number-crunching, Karl? Apple's Numbers?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Actually, I'm still using the free version of DropBox.

As a project ends, and I no longer need to access that specific information out in the field, I simply copy the associated folder/files back to my office hard drive(s) (where a copy is also automagically also uploaded to Carbonite), and delete them from DropBox.

A plus is that I can also access the files that were removed from DropBos with Carbonite's iPad app if need be, although that need rarely has arisen, and then it is just for a quick reference, with no need to perform any operations.

That way I have been able to keep my Dropbox account within the limits of their free service, and have not even come close to bumping the limit.

Reply to
Swingman

I use Excel for all spreadsheet work. I maintain the specific project Excel file(s) in the live, mirrored, DropBox folder on my office laptop (which is also backed up to Carbonite, and a local network hard drive, automajically).

Any changes made to the Excel spreadsheets in the field, using either "OnCloud" or "HD Office" apps on the iPad, are automatically synched to DropBox on closing the iPad app.

This insures that all the files in DropBox are current and automatically synched regardless of the device with which they are accessed in the field.

I also use my DroidX, using the same apps that are available in both Android and IOS, on occasion, but will be phasing that device out as soon as the new iPhone comes out.

.... the iPhone being IOS, plays nicer with the iPad, although that has not been an issue keeping files synched between all devices (laptop, iPad, DroidX) and DropBox.

The other IOS iPad apps that I use daily for other tasks are "EverNote" (a good place to keep information from websites when ordering materials online), "NoteShelf" (for handwritten stylus input during meetings with clients), and "Project Matrix" (for management and prioritizing project critical tasks).

I also automatically upload all photos taken with either the iPad, or the DroidX to Google Picasa.

I have not taken a laptop to a construction site in two years ... it is all done from my iPad while offsite (or laying in bed at night when I remember something that needs to be addressed ... ;) )

FWIW, I'm currently using a 64GB Verizon WIFI/4G iPad3 ... 4G/LTE here is almost as fast as a WIFI network, but I can usually piggyback on a clients WIFI, so mostly keep the cellular network turned off until needed.

Current technology provides a huge boost in productivity over previous methods, just in the last three years, and the iPad has been instrumental in me taking advantage of that boost.

Reply to
Swingman

Congratulations on finding a wonderful new tool. :-)

I am on my second iPad and my only regret is I had to wait decades for Apple to finally create one. I use mine to stay in touch with family and friends, read books, watch tv/movies when exercising, listen to music, play an occasional game of solitaire, write, keep track of my schedule and addresses and search the internet for information. I can't tell you how many times I have searched for something on the net and found great information that saved me tons of money. I hope you get tons of enjoyment out of yours. Keep waving to your family! `Casper

Reply to
Casper

He is trolling you Bill and you're contributing to the problem because you keep responding to the asshole.

Reply to
Dave