OT T8 Tubes

Shunted tombestones are for 'instant start' ballasts only (never 'rapid-start').

From NEMA document available here:

Numerous ballast manufacturers have received and verified reports of incorrect applications of shunted bi-pin lampholders (tombstones) used with rapid-start (RS), programmed start (PS) and dimming ballasts. These incorrect applications have occurred in both new luminaires and field lamp and ballast retrofits.

For the purposes of this discussion, ballasts operating T8 rapid start lamps can be divided into two classifications; rapid-start and instant-start.

Rapid-start, programmed rapid-start, and dimming models provide lamp cathode power before striking the lamp (and sometimes after operation) and require that two wires be connected between the ballast and each lampholder. Instant-start ballasts do not preheat the lamp cathodes and need only one wire between the ballast and each lampholder. Correct wiring of instant-start ballasts and rapid start lamps necessitates that the lampholder terminals be shorted together, either via wiring or the use of a shunted lamp holder.

There are two basic types of lampholders, normal (or non-shunted), and shunted. A normal lampholder does not short or shunt the two lamp contacts within the lampholder, whereas a shunted lampholder shorts the two lamp contacts within the lampholder. Other than possibly a manufacturer?s part number that is stamped or molded into the lampholder, it is very difficult to identify whether the lampholder is normal or shunted. These "shunted" lampholders were designed for instant start applications only.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Yep, The units required that. I thought I had chosen rapid start. But found out Friday that they were instant start. Surprise, surprise. But they are wired correctly.

When I looked up the model # of the ballast.

I don't know what the 3 bulb drop ceiling units in the basement are. I didn't build them, just installed them.

The stripes have disappeared after the gases stabilized in a couple of hours. New bulbs they told me (Philips) will do that.

At any rate they recommended I try other brands, which I have explained I have, and they did work well. It's the phillips bulbs that are not working well, and providing short life.

So, I think I've got to be tough and not take the easy way out while at HD. I've got to either go to Lowe's or a supplier, or online.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'm curious as to how those Feit A19 LEDs are doing for you now. I remember you had a couple that flickered right out of the box. Did you end up returning them all, or are you still using them. If so, do you like them?

Spalted Walt

I kept them, I like what I see so far. HD by work no longer carries the Feits, and neither does my other store by my home. Now they carry the ECO line (if I remember).

I would like some brighter bulbs 60w equiv is ok, but I want 75 and 100, and those are still very , very pricey.

I'm considering what to do when I redo the bathroom. I haven't decided, but the Vermont style ceilings are going away, which means fixtures or recessed. Not sure I want recessed due to heat loss, and the bathroom is where the roof comes down, so it's tight to work in; for insulating that is.

Reply to
woodchucker

do not know what they are but you may have a problem with your electrical

have you ever checked your lines for excessive noise and other anomalies

Reply to
Electric Comet

One might try yer local hydroponics grow store. Yes, living in CO, I know what hydro grow stores are for. Regardless, T8 bulbs and fixtures play a huge part in indoor hydro grow lighting. I know growers who use T8's exclusively. May be more costly than HD and Lowe's, but yer not likely to get flakey flickers from grow-light T8's.

nb

Reply to
notbob

woodchucker wrote in news:rN6dnZ0e snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Have you looked at Home Depot's site to see if they're available online? Sometimes you get free "ship to store" or "ship to home" (I think it's $45 for Home Depot) shipping as well as more product availability.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I bought 12 and put them in the lamps that stay on all day. Installed them in January and will see how well they last. So far they are ok.

Reply to
G. Ross