8' T8 fluorescent fixture

Who sells these? I have been racking my brain on this one. I am looking for an 8' 2 bulb (not 2- 4' 2 bulbs ganged together but one long 8' 2 bulb) T8 fixtures for my barn. I have called all the local area Home Depots and Loews as well as several electrical supply companies and no one seems to have these, plus none seem to think they even make them. I also called 2 local electricians and both called their supplier that said the same thing. The odd thing is almost any Home Depot or Loews I talk to have the bulbs in stock but not the fixtures.

The really weird thing is I cannot find them online either. The only place that has them is goodmart.com, but they have a 14 day ship time. I have not called, but they are probably backordered everything else ships out in 1 day.

Is it just me why does everyone seem to stock bulbs for a fixture that no one can buy?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
bhieb
4-footers might be more economical, better light distribution w/ less watts, can put them on various kinds of switches (incl individual pull chains) for more lighting control. I've learned not mess with anything that's "rare".

But if you want, there is a fluorescent guy by me who makes fixtures from scratch, to order. Sparkle Lighting, Yonkers, NY. I've bought a bunch of fixtures from him, 'til I discovered the $6-7 4-ft T8's at HD. :) Number should be on yellowpages.com or sumpn. If not, email me. Also has T8 bulbs 33% cheaper than g-d HD. $2 vs. $3.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I bought mine at Lowes a year ago. They were rated for cold and cost $45 each or so.

Reply to
Pat

Also, any True Value hardware store can order them:

8', Metalux 2 Lamp Fluorescent Strip, 120V, Electronic Ballast, Uses 2F96T8 Lamps, Not Included, Baked White Enamel, UL Listed, IBEW Labeled. MFR. COOPER LIGHTING Ask for True Value #822687 (will be replaced by #725624).
Reply to
Karl S

I don't know where you live, but any manufacturer of fluorescent lighting will make them. These are often small local companies like procto... describes, in fact just a few miles from where Sparkle light is in Yonkers, NY is another manufacturer called Apollo lighting in Mt. Vernon, NY, and I'm sure there are hundreds of others across the country. The only difference between an eight foot T12 and T8 fixture is the ballast transformer, which you could install yourself if you were so inclined

Reply to
RBM

The secret is that most newer 8 foot T12 fixtures will take T8 bulbs without modification. Thus the need for all those bulbs.

And if it doesn't it takes little skill and effort to convert.

Reply to
DK

I couldn't agree more, there is a reason 4' bulbs are cheaper, the very same reason parts for a small block Chevy are cheaper. I won't use anything else unless there just isn't room enough for a 4' even 2' bulbs are more expensive which always made me wonder about burger King.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Thanks everyone for you quick input. I think I will go with the ganged

4 footers, I don't like the "rare" concept either. I am not overly concerned with electrical expense, I mainly wanted to future proof the install by going with the T8's since IMHO the T12's will probably phase out over time. I was just looking for the least amount of bulbs since this is going in a 40X50 shop with 16' celings. It is going to be a pain to change the bulbs so the 4 footers are twice the number of bulbs to burn out. But I also don't want to have to get online and special order some 8' bulb because no one stocks them anymore. 4 footers seem to be the sure one that will stick around the longest so that is what I will do.

Thanks Again!

Reply to
bhieb

Again, why even gang the 4 footers? W/ 16 foot ceilings, you will certainly want to hang these on chains, and at

*various* heights: higher perhaps, for "general" areas (walkways, etc), and lower over specific machines. Of course, some place can use 8' worth of bulbs, sometimes even 4 bulb 8' fixtures--iffin you want a tan. :)

I notice, for example, in NYC subways and other places, they will put a continuous row of fluorescnets, for 600, 700, 800 linear feet! They could have put in literally 1/3 to 1/2 the number of fixtures in that line, and still have had adequate lighting. Ditto the 4 bulb 2 ft x 4ft fixtures for hung ceilings. Just one after the other.... My eyes ain't even all that good, and this stuff is too much for *me*....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

When people (other than contractors) call home depot about the availability of a part, they usually lie and say they don't have it.

Get off your lazy ass and scoot down to the store and you will find they have them on display.

Reply to
DK