OT: Social Security Admin or scam?

Page 4 of 5

Duane Bozarth wrote:

I don't object if there is a reasonable expectation of saving a similar amount of money as a consequence of the accomodation. In this example, tax forms and instructions, I expect the publication of Spanish language instructions for tax forms would improve the efficiency with which taxes are collected.
There are any number of situations where a pig-headed insistance on English-only will exacerbate problems. It is a measured decision as to where to draw the line.
--

FF

Seeing that the Constitution was written in only one language; good enough for me.
Or are you saying that because he was an English speaking CUSTOMER in the US, he should not feel the need for customer service to speak English?
Chris
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:31:10 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ron

If you used an American Express card you wouldn't be so lucky. Ayup, they're all Indian CS now, too.
- Metaphors Be With You - http://diversify.com Web Application Programming
My first reaction was 'SCAM' but maybe not; see http://www.ssa.gov/prescriptionhelp/vendorfollowup/factsheet.htm
In any case I would at least demand that the caller provide proof that they were indeed the SSA, keeping in mind that a scam artist might be better prepared to do that convincingly than the SSA itself. My best advice is don't trust anybody calling a senior citizen. I'm just about one myself now but, more particularly, I'm recalling how my elderly mother was hounded by all kinds of persons/organizations trying to extract money in any way they could. Some of the mailings were cleverly disguised to look like official US Government origins. She's been dead four years now following two additional years in a nursing home and we still get mail solicitations addressed to her; but we live in a different part of the country from when she last lived with us.
My personal rule is 'don't cooperate with anybody who calls me unless I know them and are expecting a call'. Usually that means I hang up following the first few words of the spiel but, at most, I might agree to call back, not to any number the caller provides but to that organizations number from the phone directory or the internet.
David Merrill

I'm all for it, so long as we take it to its obvious conclusion and outsource Congress.

Be patient, they're already outsourcing lawyers.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

They already are 'mentally'. That's the first step! John
Charlie Self wrote:

If they asked for your social security number, it is a scam! And, the bbb here says there currently is such a scam ongoing and the interviewer is threatening legal action for some infraction.

You may answer it or not? You have been remarking for some time about how your medication(s) is really impacting your cost of living, comfort, quality of life etc. I love your bitching about the VA. Were you really at Parris Island? Hank
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

Yes, you may answer or not. What has that to do with anything. You can always refuse to answer anyone about anything over the phone. Just hang up, which is what I did. I'm not exactly sure where you read anything, from me, about medicine "impacting" my cost of living. My medical costs, thanks to VA, are far lower than for most people. I wasn't happy when GWB's boys more than tripled that cost immediately after his first election, but that still leaves prices relatively low, so they don't much affect my cost of living.
Oh. Yes. I went through Parris Island, in early '58. But Parris Island is not the sum total of a tour in the Marines.

I've never seen you mention anything about medicinal costs either. You may at one time have mentioned something in passing, but either way, I think he's just trying to bait you.
"Henry St.Pierre" wrote in message

When you've actually spent a slice of your life serving your country you've thereby earned the right to criticize any part of it you damn well please.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

YEP!
--
Nahmie

So much for social responsibility. Every man an island. To hell with unity!
"George" wrote in message

There are damn few higher forms of "social responsibility" than serving your country; "Every man an island" is inarguably the antithesis of "serving your country"; and "unity" is something while learn by doing so.
And it is well documented that those who haven't will attempt to argue otherwise ... and to those, it's always a waste of your breath.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

their country, than take from their country.
Chris

I was told many years ago that one of the reasons Switzerland has been able to "enforce" their neutrality from world conflicts is that every adult has served in their armed forces and is a permanent life member of their military, including having their uniform, weapon, etc, @ home ready for immediate callup.
This was told to me in the '60s/'70s by a Swiss who was attending a tech school with me. I have no idea if this is still true.
--
Nahmie

Well, the terrain may be a contributing factor, but a resolute and ready citizenry doesn't hurt. All the tunnels are pre-mined and good defensive positions prepared, so they say.
Israelis were doing pretty well as long as they had clearly identified enemies, then too many people started "bitching" about their country's internal politics and ignoring the threat. Got a bit more dangerous. When the propagandists and the people spend their time harping on the single issue with which they disagree, and see the opposite party as a greater enemy than the external ones sworn to cut their throats ... well, it's not good.