OT - Snowblower on a packed gravel drive

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Cool.

Can see where an overhead trolley could be pretty handy.
Be sure to post pictures when you get done.

Thu, Dec 13, 2007, 7:41pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth query: snow? what's that? <snip>
Stiff water.
samson wrote:

Hasn't hurt my '83 Ariens 10 HP 2 stage. Set the scraper a little higher to start so you don't actually scrape gravel into it. Once a crust forms, and it won't be slippery unless you get ice storms, you can set the feet back down. I've had more trouble with ice chunks & debris from the snow plows than the grave in the driveway. Had to replace a shear pin a few times, but nothing was damaged and all worked great afterwards. But I do keep shear pins handy<g>. Ya just gotta keep up the PM on them. PM Preventive Maintenance; sorry.

If you go to flush mounted markers for that grave in the driveway you won't have so many problems. Those marble headstones are a bitch for snowblowers.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

No, that's not it; it's the darned pieces of bodies that keep popping up through it. They plug the auger, chute, the whole thing. The headstones so far have all been wooden ones.

Oh hell - that's easy to fix. Just run the lawn mower over the driveway before snowblowing - set on the lowest setting. That prep's the drive nicely. Oh yeah - in case you're one of those who thinks that if a little is good, more must be better - don't get it into your head that if the lawn mower does a good job, the roto-tiller must do a better job...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:28:25 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

We're in the middle of an ice storm.
By the looks if it, a roto-tiller will do a better job on this stuff than the snowblower. <G>
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

I'm north of you and it's just snow for the moment. But a shitload of it. I've shovelled twice and expect another couple before dark. And that's just to the woodsheds and shop. The rest of the slogging will come when (if) it lets up. I live on a small lake, and can't see the other side, which is only about 300yards.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

Have Mel call the military..LOL
Oh stop your whining...LOL Sarnia is getting a dusting too
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/snowDec16.jpg
FrozenNorth wrote:

I have a 4x4 Silverado and the house is about half a mile from the main road. Just after I posted, I decided to run out to see if I could. If it was too heavy, tomorrow was gonna be a snow day. Transfer cases were dragging and there was one hill/curve combo that nearly stopped me. I got out and back in but wouldn't do it again.
Snow plow just arrived (private road - private plowing) and that same run would be much easier. BUT - this doesn't look like it's letting up anytime soon. And another 10-15 cm forecast. It may be a snow day yet, tomorrow.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

Must be fun when the ice melts...does the basement get a little wet?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
John E.
John E. wrote:

Gotta watch what I say. That's the second time this week.
But ...no basement.....so if the house were on the lake, I'd either be floating.....or not...then I'd be living in the lake. For a short period of time.
I"m sure SWMBO would have something to say about that.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.
Whoa, Tanus, Dude! I see you may have gotten a little more snow than I expected. The whole snowy mess kinda made a sweep towards you... My Gatineau friend assures me that he also got an assload of the white shit.
Just can't trust them there satellite thangs....
Mike Marlow wrote:

LOL!
Twayne wrote:

Speaking of PM, kid next door has been shovelling my drive for years. This year he's got a real job so he's not doing that anymore. So tried to start the snowblower and it cranked and cranked and nothing happened. Last time I ran it I didn't run it dry and didn't put fuel stabilizer in it (I think that that was the year that I had to go out of town on an emergency that lasted until after the last snowfall). Never overhauled a Tecumseh carb before. Can't say I much like the design of the thing--idle screw is placed so that you're guaranteed to burn your hand on the exhaust for one thing.
He's been mowing the lawn too so come spring I probably get to overhaul the carb on the lawn mower.
--John
Sat, Dec 15, 2007, 7:18pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.Clarke) laments: <snip> Never overhauled a Tecumseh carb before.
Try this instead. http://home.earthlink.net/~lenyr/pplmwr.htm