OT - Sen-Sen

We got our first in '52 ... remember the gray scale "Indian Chief" brightness/contrast adjustment screen that was on 20 hours a day?

Before we got one, a local furniture stores had one in their window that we used to stop at after driving in to buy the obligatory Saturday night ice cream cones. Half the town would be there on the sidewalk watching.

How times have changed since the camel stuck his nose under the tent.

Reply to
Swingman

When one of the granddaughters was six, we took an overnight trip. Stopped and got out when I saw fireflies on the side of the road. She had never seen one, and I couldn't tell you the last time for me. Why don't we have them in the cities anymore?? DDT?

Small bottles were 2 cents and big ones were a nickel. We used to beg all the neighbors for newspapers and bottles, it would buy some candy and maybe a comic book, it almost made me cry when they went to 12¢. I can remember the ice man coming to sell us ice before the refrigerator and another man collected rags. When they told us to bring pens to school to learn cursive, it was a fountain pen.

Good memories! Gee, I'm getting old. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

... don't think it's pesticides. My wife has relatives in a small town in KS and we spent several summer nights where the kids were chasing fireflies. That small town is pretty aggressive regarding spraying for mosquitoes, can't imagine large cities using more in that regard -- may be habitat related.

BTW, definitely wouldn't be DDT anyway that's been banned for 30+ years; we won't even help the Africans spray with it to prevent malaria-caused deaths.

Mark & Juanita

G'day all, Surprising, but being on the other side of the world and things weren't that much different. I used to collect bottles and we would get tuppence (2 Pennies) for large bottles and a penny for small ones. It was amazing how many lollies you could get for a couple of bottles. Around Cracker time bottles would be at a premium, as all the youngsters would collect them and save the pennies for crackers. Gees I miss Fireworks :( When TV came to town, (about 1967) we lived on a farm and the nearest "Big Town" was about 20 miles away pop. about 3000. it was a big moment. Dad came home and took us all into town that night and we joined a crowd standing on the footpath watching TV's in the shop window. The shop was across the road from one of the towns pubs so all the blokes were standing on the footpath watching telly and taking turns to go back into the pub and buy the beers. Women were not allowed into public bars back then. Yep the Good Ol' Days, Some Good, Some not so good, but only good memories.

regards John

Reply to
John B

I live & garden in Detroit. I've got 'em. That might be because I garden organically ... but they had to have come from somewhere before they showed up here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

I also lived in a small Pa. town til I was 14. (Pottsville, at the southern end of the anthracite coal region; population at that time about 23,000i.) I remember some of my earliest woodworking took place there. 8 oz bottles of Coca Cola were sold in wooden cases holding 2 dozen. There was a nickel deposit on the case. A friend and I would take a wagon down to the bottling plant. In the back where they tossed the trash we would collect all the pieces of broken cases we could find, take them home, nail them together, then take them to the Acme supermarket & turn them in for the deposit.

Reply to
Larry W

You said it!

Ah, yes, fabulous wealth for a youngster. Recall walking into the suburban town we lived in circa 1955 and using net-type shopping bags like my grandmother carried. Walk was only about 3/4 mi but generally you could fill up two bags with both the quart bottles and smaller bottles. Wasn't unusual to score a buck's worth of deposits at the local liquor store which, conveniently, was on end of the business district closest to my home. Talk about rolling in the clover

Black Jack gum's available from the same link that had all the other candy, etc. I still see it now and then as a "special" at certain stores - seen it (and other vintage candies) at, of all places, The Hobby Lobby stores.

Pretty common stuff. You can find it at most any good liquor store or food store.

Y'know, that's one thing that's kinda odd. The price of .22s really has been remarkably stable. I don't think they've even doubled in price since I started buying them in the late 50's. If you shop carefully you can still buy a brick of 500 for ~ $10-$12 (long rifles at that, IIRC)

Don't recall the former and you'll never see the latter. Not politically correct, don'tcha know

Yeppers. While on board ship in the late 60's we had the Coke in the

8oz bottles. We'd be playing cards and such and just grab a bottle. Always in a betting mood, guy with the bottle closest to our present location would pay for the round.
Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

True enough. Habitat is likely the reason. They tend to hang around the tall grass and wet areas. Urban places invested a lot of money in their drainage.

Given the habits of certain members, I'm sure the feminists will blame the good old boys....

Reply to
George

Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 11:42am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth sayeth: everything for a boy's rites of passage.

No chew? And my rites of passage included some first class moonshine, around 120 proof, aged in the jar..

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 7:53pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Vic=A0Baron) doth query: JT - licorice has always been my favorite also - remember the licorice "pipes" and "cigars" they uses to have? Loved those.

Ah, yes, now I do. Always seems just a bit "off" in taste tho. Maybe they added something to let 'em keep their shape. The licorice whips, way longer than the imitations today, had the best taste. They'd get like a piece of rope in hot weather, and stiff enough to snape into pieces in cold.

Another of my favorites, were the malted milk balls. Nothing like the lame chocolate covered imitations to today, these were solid bals, no covering, and tasted absolutely wonderful. I remember the first ones I had were when I visited the doctor and he would give me one before I left. Haven't seen any of those in probably 50 years. Anyone know if they're still around? Ah, doesn't matter, the taste has probably been changed even it they are.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 3:15pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: RC yet lives Moonpies as well As for the glass bottle, google "rc cola proposition 65". Lock up your weapons first or you may find yourself locking, loading, and looking for the nearest lawyer.

I kinda thought RC and moonpies might be still around. Hasn't been that many years since I've seen them. Just haven't bothered checking, or noticing.

I don't hunt any more, but seriously considering getting a license. Problem is, the lawyers are fighting the prospect of an open season, or even a limited bag limit. Can't uderstand tt myself, I figure the herd should be trimmed..

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 2:26pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark=A0&=A0Juanita) doth sayeth: =A0=A0=A0=A0Cracker Barrel restaurants carry a number of those products. I know I've seen Blackjack gum there. They also have Stewart's Orange soda -- yum!

Alas, I'll probably never find out then. I've only eaten at Cracker Barrel a couple of times, had about the worst prepared food I've ever ran across. I don't tcare to try them again.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 3:49pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: We got our first in '52 ... remember the gray scale "Indian Chief" brightness/contrast adjustment screen that was on 20 hours a day? How times have changed since the camel stuck his nose under the tent.

We moved when I was in the 7th grade, and got a TV sometime after that. Before that all the neighborhood kids went to the only neighbor with a TV (and no kids) and watched the Lone Ranger. He'd hav watched it anyway, only had one station. But I still listened to the Green Hornet, Tarzan, The Shadow, Amos & Andy, Fibber McGee & Molly, Sgt Preston of the Yukon, and I don't know what all else.

Yep, now you can even buy a pocket size "color" TV, for about $100, maybe less. If I want to carry something along for entertainment it'll be a book, first choice, or a portable radio - they've got a 24 hour classical station her, when they don't ruin it with some opera - got nothing against opera, IF it's in English, just never saw the point of listening to singing in a language I can't understand. Come to that, the way a lot of the singers sing, operat or not, I can't understand them even if they're singing in English. .

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Fri, Mar 2, 2007, 11:46pm snipped-for-privacy@online.com (Bill=A0in=A0Detroit) doth sayeth: I live & garden in Detroit. I've got 'em. That might be because I garden organically ... but they had to have come from somewhere before they showed up here.

We lived about 40 miles west of Detroit, first at the edges of a really small town, then moved about 5 miles, and about a mile out of a only slightly larger town. I never remember seeing ANY fireflies - until we visited kin in Tenn, and I was absolutely amazed at them..

That country road was a real treasure trove of beer bottles. My sister and I could pick up maybe once a week. There were always some there, and it wasn't too unusual for use to get $1-$2, at 2 cents a bottle, when we turned them in..

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

Sat, Mar 3, 2007, 12:36pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (Unquestionably=A0Confused) doth sayeth: The price of .22s really has been remarkably stable. I don't think they've even doubled in price since I started buying them in the late 50's. If you shop carefully you can still buy a brick of 500 for ~ $10-$12 (long rifles at that, IIRC)

THE .22 ammo of choice was always Winchester Super-X, everyone knew it was more powerful. You only bought another brand when the Super-Xs were sold out. Seems to me you could even buy single rounds too. Don't remember the exact price but know it was around 50 cents a box of 50 - which would make it around $5 for a brick of 500 - I only recall ONE of those being bought. I just DAGS and a brick of Super-X can be got for $19.77, not including shipping, about four times increase. That's for solid points, hollow points are a bit higher. Nowadays for plinking I usually get the cheapest I can find. For accuracy I'm willing to go higher tha the Super-X priceing. Nothing quite like a day spent knocking tin cans around with a .22. Nowadays, if you can even find a place to shoot, seems like someone is bound to bitch about the "noise".

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

You don't need to eat there, just go into their store front, find the Blackjack gum and buy it without even going into the restaurant.

The Cracker Barrels around here are pretty good, I'm surprised to hear that they don't measure up in other places.

Mark & Juanita

... snip

... back in those days, one could buy the rifle for not much more than that (or so I've been told, repeatedly ;-) )

Yeah, unfortunately. Those candy cigarrettes used to be a favorite. Not because of the fact they were pretend ciggy's, but because I liked the flavor of them. ... and no, I never was ever tempted to start smoking even though we had candy cigarettes and people on TV smoked; somehow, we were smarter than that.

Mark & Juanita

We have a stream in the back and of a June evening the fireflies are so thick in the trees as to put you in mind of a christmas display.

I always liked the seers catalog. it was handy in the small house out back.

t.

Reply to
tom watson

Ah, yes, now I do. Always seems just a bit "off" in taste tho. Maybe they added something to let 'em keep their shape. The licorice whips, way longer than the imitations today, had the best taste. They'd get like a piece of rope in hot weather, and stiff enough to snape into pieces in cold.

The licorice ropes are still being made, 2 or 3 feet long. The candy cigaretts and pipes are still being made but I haven't seen them in stores for a long time but the web site that the OP posted for the sen sen sells a lot of the obscure candy.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

My customer probably has 80% of the US market.

Manufacturing located in the SF Bay area along with a lot of other candy manufacturing companies.

Fun to watch it being extruded, cut to length, and packaged.

I'm a red guy myself. Never acquired a taste for the black.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett