OT Revere Copper on China and a VAT

Let me know what you think of this:

RicodJour

this:

It was interesting. I have to say that I almost plonked the topic because of the title, then I saw your name attached to it, so I went ahead and read it.

Reading that has re-motivated me to try and buy Made in USA products. My next set of pots and pans will probably be from them. They have a very solid reputation, and from my understanding they cook as well as anything from China, and the price seems reasonably competitive.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

this:

>> It was interesting. I have to say that I almost plonked the topic

Thanks. Most of the time just the opposite happens! ;)

I also think it's one of the few entities in the country that can speak its mind and not have an 'unpatriotic' label thrown at them if the view doesn't agree with corporate America and the current administration.

RicodJour

Forwarded to everyone I know.

jc

Reply to
joe

Reply to
My News

Interesting but I really really do not like the VAT tax....it skews the market place and makes everything you buy considerably too expensive. I do think in principle the article understates the competitive advantage of the respective labor rates between countries and overstates the impact of a VAT on imports/exports. Incidentally economically a VAT or a "hidden sales tax" discourages consumption i.e. citizens in WA state with a 8% sales tax buy fewer new cars and keep cars longer which may or may not be a good thing but when tax policy controls the market choices, it is not a good thing...although the repair & tow shops like it.

Much of the articles actual motive seems to be a simple desire for a national medical plan and how to pay for it (reasonable enough).....But the problem with any proposal that merely desires a solid revenue stream for medical costs ignores the rampant inflation in medical costs such a stream will cause, in other words the 10% annual medical inflation we've had for most of the past two or three decades (fueled largely by third party payees including the Gov. and employers) will soon be the "good old days". Any and all solutions to be effective either have to ration care (not my choice) or increase supply....we need to flood the country with doctors, nurses and medical facilities. At the moment there is a fairly effective effort limiting entry into the field. Drug companies need some oversight as well since they justifiably cry over high drug development costs but apparently spend far more on advertising. There are many basic flaws in our current medical structure when almost any official medical device makes Festool look cheap and how does any ER visit result in prices starting at $1000? Step by step it needs serious reform, a blank check just makes the hole deeper. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote

To "reform" you must first insure that you have "legislators" who are forced to live like those whom they govern.

This will happen only through 1: revolution, which is highly unlikely in a society purposely dumbed down to accept the status quo; or 2: A visit to the very brink of moral and economic collapse.

... guess what!

Reply to
Swingman