OT: Replace plywood flooring: Perfect tool

John McCoy wrote in news:XnsA6306E916B812pogosupernews@213.239.209.88:

You're probably right about general use. It wound up being really handy the other night as we were working on the model railroad. It was compact enough to get into the area we needed it to and quite efficient at cutting the board that was in the way.

I can see it being useful later as we try to cut the old Homasote out while leaving as much of the existing scenery as possible. A circular saw would require 1 1/4" minimum clearance, but that miniature saw requires only about 1/2" or so.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:576c1321$0$11973$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Yeah but - a 4" grinder is just as compact if not more so, a diamond wheel cuts faster than the Saw Max wheels, a 4" grinder is cheaper (even if you buy a good quality one like a Makita), and a 4" grinder can be used for a lot of things a Saw Max can't do.

Suffice to say I regret spending money on the Saw Max. It's in it's box somewhere in the back of the shop, and I doubt it will ever come out again.

(for those not familiar with it, the Saw Max is basically a 4" grinder with a circular saw style shoe. To quote the late Lew Hodgett, it's overpriced and under-peckered)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

water damage around a toilet sounds optimistic

but i would use a thick blade in a skilsaw

might want to wear a dust mask and gloves

might find more work to do when you cut out the small square

Reply to
Electric Comet

There's also the Festool. ;-) Nice attachments for it, but I don't think so. I don't use it often enough.

I have problems with gout in my middle fingers[*], along with trigger fingers. I wouldn't notice the difference because I'm not likely to do any woodworking when it's acting up. It's hard to control tools when you can't bend the middle fingers.

[*]"I can't bend my finger, honest! I'm not saluting you."
Reply to
krw

I would disagree. I have one and it's one of the best purchased I've made. The thing cuts through tile like butter and works great against a straightedge.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Used my today on OSB and 2x8s in an attic to put in a fold down staircase. I believe I posted an extension review on it, in here. Quietness, lack of vibration, and the soft-start were all high praises from me.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Floor or wall? What sort of blade?

Reply to
krw

I've used the diamond blade to cut back tile on a floor, against a straight edge which worked very well. I also have a 4" grinder with a diamond blade which which I'm fairly skillful as using to cut corners in tile using just my hands. I find the depth stop and fence on the Saw Max to be very useful and effective.

I've also used the drywall blade to cut a very straight lines through drywall, using the shop-vac attachment which was as satisfactory as capturing gypsum dust can possibly get.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Actually the Festool multi tool is made by Fein.

Reply to
Leon

That is a concern, although we've left that bathroom unused for several months so whatever went on should be pretty dry by now. Still, you are right that this could be a much larger project than planned.

I have another question about multi-tools. I tried posting this question before but I don't see it.

I see that the Fein has a little fence that one case use for straight cuts.

  1. Is this a standard attachment for multi-tools, esp. the DeWalt?
  2. How well does that fence work?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Thanks. I have a wet saw but it doesn't do everything. I've been trying to figure out how to do more complicated cuts. I'll take a look.

I haven't had to cut long lines through drywall. Interesting that there is an attachment for it. I'll have to look into it more.

Reply to
krw

Didn't know that. It's not the same unit, though, is it (same attachments?)?

Reply to
krw

For tiling work, the wet saw is the work horse, but my 4-1/2" Snap-On angle grinder with a dry cut diamond blade is the cats meow for cutting out outlet box holes in the center of tiles and cement backer board.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

I am not aware of any fence, got a link?

I did see a depth stop but not necessarily a fence to guide the cut.

Reply to
Leon

That's my mistake. I was looking at this video and at the 1:50 mark or thereabouts I thought I saw a fence but it's probably a depth stop. Could it conceivably be used as a fence though?

Mike

Reply to
Michael

NO, but you really don't need a fence. At least with the Fein the vibration is so little that you can easily follow a line.

Watching this video below, Dremel vs. a new DeWalt, I think the user was not real impressed with the slop in the blade clamp with the DeWalt and I absolutely did not like the switch. Much like a VS drill, you hold it and lock it on to full speed. The Fein and Dremel have a dial for speed and a switch that does not need to be held. You will find that you hold this tool in all different positions. This would be aggravating with the DeWalt if you are used to a Fein. Once turned on the Fein and Dremel can be held anywhere at any speed. Still the Fein is the gold standard and vibration would be a serious consideration if I were buying again. The user also mentions the DeWalt light only shining forward. That is not helpful if you use the blade at an angle in tight spaces. I use mine at an angle quite a bit. The light is a nice feature but not well thought out.

Leon

[...]

Looks as if there is no reason it couldn't be used as a GUIDE for a clamped on piece of wood, using the wood as a fence; basically, it would work just like the shoe on a cut off saw, just smaller.

Reply to
dadiOH

John,

Here's another question if you have a moment. If the flooring is particle board, will that have to be replaced with plywood, or can you nail tile backer to particle board. If it needs to be replaced with plywood, what is the minimum width? 1/2 inch?

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Am I overlooking something? Why would anyone want particle board in such a water-vulnerable location?

Bill

Reply to
Bill