OT: Replace plywood flooring: Perfect tool

Friends, I know this is off-topic but this group has people who know things.

I need to cut out a small square piece of plywood around a toilet that was water damaged. What's the perfect tool for this job?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

You could try a plunge cut with a circular saw.

Set the saw for the depth of the plywood or slightly less. Cut out most of the wood and then use a chisel or multi-function tool or any other appropriate tool to remove what ever is left so you can lift the piece out.

The depth that you set the saw depends on what is directly under the plywood. If you have to avoid cutting into it at all costs, then go shallow and then carefully go deeper with a different tool.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A Fein Multimaster or a clone of that tool.

Leon

That's easy and effective. The smaller the saw diameter, the less work will be required at the corners. Beware nails, of course; a 'remodeling' saw blade would be good, it'll take no damage if it does hit a nail.

Reply to
whit3rd

Leon, Derby and Whit3rd,

It's a tight space so I could use a circular saw but I think the multi-master might be the better option because I can see so many uses for it as I fix stuff around the house.

I have two questions about the multi-master:

1) I prefer corded power tools except for my drill. Is the multi-master like the drill in that you use it in so many ways that a cordless just makes more sense?

2) Is there a massive difference between the Fein and the DeWalt? Is it one of those tools where the extra 100 really makes all the difference?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

My vintage Fein is one of the most versatile tools I own, to the point it is always in my truck ... when you need it, nothing else will do.

Personally I would buy the corded version ... it is not a tool you use every day, and, as above, when I need it I don't want to be dealing with how much juice is left in a battery in a tool that has been sitting around since the last use.

My helper/working buddy, tired of always going to get _my_ Fein out of _my_ truck, bought the Home Depot Rigid model for himself a few months back. So far so good, for $99.

A price which, makes it easy to replace when it grows legs on a job site.

If I had to replace the Fein, I would probably go with the Bosch or DeWalt.

Also know a couple of tradesman who are using the HF model ... for limited use, might be all you need.

Basically, let your budget and intended use (and where you will use it) be the deciding factor.

Reply to
Swingman

Ah... the real agenda has been exposed! It was a fishing trip for a good excuse to buy a new tool! LOL

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I'd use a circular saw set to just cut the plywood. Remove the nails/screws holding it to the joists first or risk breaking the teeth on the blade!

If you have the finish flooring removed from the room you might be better off replacing a larger area of the sub-flooring... this as a patch that just spans the two joists near the toilet would tend to flex excessively whereas a piece tied into other joists spreads the load better and is more rigid. Also, make sure you orient the face grain on the plywood across the joists and not parallel to the joists.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Great point, John. I'm also going to install tile so it's probably a good idea to cut a larger piece so there's no movement behind the 1/4 tile backer.

Yes, any excuse to buy a new tool!

Thanks for the info, Swingman! I think I'll go with the DeWalt. It's in my price range and I've always had good luck with the brand.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Did some work for my brother, needed a multi-tool. He bought the Dewalt (cordless) and gave it to me when done. I like it, use it often.

I have no experience with any other brand.... other than a Stryker cast saw.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The extra $100 vs the HF model really does make all the difference. I have the Bosch and love it, but the HF gets more use... Mainly because I donated the HF to the club "in case we need it" and we've needed it a couple times.

The Dremel Saw Max is a potentially handy thing to have around, if you're doing cuts best suited to the circular saw but have clearance issues.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You probobably will not use it daily or as much as a drill. I look at as the tool that do what no other tool can do and a real problem solver with minimal destruction. Like Swingman I would go corded as batteries will be a constant expense and likely will not have the charge you need when you need it.

I cannot answer that but probably not a whole lot. I would however steer clear of brands that are not known for quality tools. Some cheaper models scream, noisy, and do not hold the attachments securely. Those are ok for limited use but are not usually a pleasure to use. I would use one of those as a last resort.

I would look at DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, maybe even Dremel, basically brands not exclusive to a particular bargain basement store.

If you can at all demo one I wold recommend that. While Fein may be a bit to pricey for you most WoodCraft stores sell them and you can demo them in the store.

I would look for corded, ease of changing attachments, and those that have a way of securely holding the attachments so that they do not slip.

I bought my Fein before anyone else offered a clone and I would prefer the latest tool-less model so that you don't have to keep up with that.

Now that there is competition Fein has dropped the price of their $35~$65 blades and other brands are offered that will fit many different brands tools.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not a tradesman but I disagree. I have both corded (Dremmel) and cordless (Bosch) Fein clones. I never use the Dremmel. I have a bunch of 12V (or 10.8V, if you think they're lying ;-) batteries that I keep charged, so they're always available. LiIons don't have a significant self-discharge, so that's not an issue. IMO, if you have trouble keeping cordless drill batteries charged, you probably shouldn't use any cordless tools. Otherwise, they're great.

Reply to
krw

Nothing was said about cordless drill batteries, those get used almost daily. The multimaster, 20~30 times in 10 years.

And you do have a valid point, but in 15 years the Dremel will still be working but probably not the batteries you have in the Bosch now.

Nothing against cordless, but long term, cordless tends to need to be replaced because of obsolete batteries while the tool itself is still in good shape. If you buy a decent multitool the tool is likely to never need to be replaced unless you can't find batteries for it. And unfortunately I don't believe that any one rebuilds Li-Ion which is more and more the battery being sold with new tools.

Personally I am more inclined to buy cordless if I use it a lot, daily in the shop, "if" cordless is more convenient. But so far I have only bought cordless drills/impacts for the last 30 or so years.

In 1983 I bought a Makita right angle cordless, 7.2 volt. It was great and much like a multimaster it got me out of jams, but not a tool that I would use every day. I finally got rid of it, the chuck had not a spec of tarnish or rust on it but I could not justify replacing the battery after 29 years. My Festool drill has a right angle attachment that I use on occasion and I am glad that I have it. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The battery technology is the same, so self-discharge isn't an issue. In my case, my 12V drill, driver, and impact driver, use the same batteries as the twitcher.

Probably not but I'll be out of a bunch of drills, too. The Dremel will probably still be working because it never has. ;-)

If I replaced the Dremel, it would probably be with a Fein. Their price has dropped a *lot* and the package isn't a bad deal anymore. That said, if there is a real choice of a cordless tool and corded, I'll take the cordless every time.

I believe you're right. Liability is a huge problem with LiIons. Aftermarket has the problem in spades.

I have cordless circular saws, as well. The little Makita paid for itself when I resided our VT house. It could even be used to cut trim on the ladder. I later bought the Dewalt but the batteries aren't worth crap.

I also have a RA Makita, somewhere. Hmm, I guess it is over 20 years old. I've replaced the battery when I've had need of the saw (not for the drill). They aren't all that expensive. I never really liked the drill, though. It's kinda wimpy and slow. It did have its uses.

Reply to
krw

I'll agree that li-ion does hold its charge very well and for a long time. But you always have the day when the battery simply poops out in the case. I have a Bosch impact, 18 volt Li- ion. I seldom use it but it always had juice in the battery and I always tried to recharge it before putting it away for 6-9 months. Then one day I opened the case and the battery was no longer useable. Fortunately I got a new generic from Batteries Plus for about $25. Like the original the amp rating was 1.2. IIRC.

Ohhhhhh. :-). I thought Drexel might be better than the HF version.

Yeah the Fein is really a decent deal these days. I believe I paid in the $300+ range for mine many years ago. Any I would love to have the tool-less version when changing attachments on simply readjusting the angle of an attachment.

From what I understand it is very important to test and match the cells which I understand is time consuming. A handful of brand new Li-ion cells do not necessarily work well together.

Yeah :-) my Mikita RA drill was wimpy too. And single speed and no clutch so it was only good for drilling ut to about 1/4" diameter. As little as I used it I would recharge the battery every time I pulled it out. Oddly the battery could be recharged enough to drill a hole or two for 20+ years.

Reply to
Leon

Puckdropper wrote in news:576b0ebb$0$43732$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I have one of those - it's essentially useless. If you think you need one, buy a 4" grinder instead, and a diamond wheel.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

"Personally" being the operative word, I agree ... mainly because it would be both unreasonable, and futile, for me to disagree with your actual, personal experience. ;)

For the OP's benefit, my rationale for recommending the tailed tool in this case basically boils down to the ratio of actual use versus time in storage for that particular type of tool.

I don't have a problem keeping my half dozen "cordless drill batteries" charged as they spend about 50% of their existence out of storage and in use.

However the tool in question, while admittedly indispensable when it is needed, in reality will spend a good 98% of it's life in storage conditions.

And, in my case personally, in an environment (Texas), where prolonged exposure to heat unarguably reduces battery life.

Just my tuppence when it comes to grabbing a specific tool whose use is generally of rare, but urgent, nature.

Repeated for clarification ...

Reply to
Swingman

I have eight or ten batteries for it (and the small drivers and drill). One battery had a very short life but the others are ~5 years old. We'll see.

I meant that it sits in its case because I use the Bosch. It's like new. ;-)

They were demoing the Fein at Woodcraft when I was in there a year or so ago. It was a lot easier to handle than the Dremel or Bosch, ISTM. Very little vibration.

LiIon has a habit of catching fire if not treated well. Most small companies don't want to get into that.

Reply to
krw

Yep.

The vibration, and quieter operation, is what sets off the Fein from others I've used.

Especially if you're prone to CTS. :(

Reply to
Swingman