OT: Ping Basilisk

Page 1 of 2
Your pic in abpw: http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw /
Reminds me of a sign on I-49, between Carencro and Sunset, La. "For Sale. Cajun Squirrel Dogs".
I'm still trying to figure out if they mean Cajun squirrels or Cajun dogs. I'll have to take a pic of it. The seller is obviously Cajun, though. LOL.
Sonny Can I claim no affiliation?

I'm wondering what dog is both small enough and fast enough to "take" a squirrel, or vice-versa...
-- Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought. -- Albert Guerard
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

I had a pure bred English Setter that loved to hunt squirrels.
Lived in the middle of a woods full of wild life, especially squirrels.
"Mike" would look up into the trees as he walked below and then "go on set".
Look up and you would see a squirrel hugging the trunk of the tree a few feet above "Mike".
Lew

L:
Watched a documentary on Siberia once. People rolling wheels of milk down the road, usual stuff. One guy was an ermine hunter. Riding down a path, talking to the film maker, he says "There's one up there in the tree running between branches".
The camera zooms to nothing. He had an ancient Mosin-Nagant surplus rifle butted into his crotch with the hand holding the stock on the trigger while the other arm was busy with the reins. He remarked, " The pelt is no good if you don't shoot them in the head", takes the shot while moving and the ermine falls shot in the head from 70 or so feet up. Flat amazing.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Tue, 24 May 2011 18:36:10 -0700, Edward Hennessey wrote:

Damn right, I happen to own a Mosin-Nagent, I keep it at the barn for the possible coyote sighting, most inaccurate gun I have ever owned.
basilisk

Assuming you have a decent bore, crown and throat on the thing, there should be some rounds out there that will be accurate in your rifle. Info on ball surplus accuracy is here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm
Sometimes they can be particular about what you feed them. Have you tried some of the S&B ammo? If that is not accurate for you, at least the S&B is brass case and boxer primed, therefore easily reloadable. Since the case will be fire-formed you should be able to come up with an accurate reload, especially if you only neck size the cases and go with a boattail. Somebody over on rec.guns probably has just the answer you need.
To get on topic, maybe somebody will post a picture or plan of their favorite reloading bench? Mine amazingly looks a lot like a Workmate 400 clamping a cleated piece of plywood that has a press bolted to it.
Regards, Roy

Did you ever try it with American made or match ammo, or just with the (much cheaper) steel jacketed Russky stuff?
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On Wed, 25 May 2011 06:52:09 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Using the steel case, steel jacketed and berdan primed but newly manufactured Russian ammo. The bore has a bad section about midways of the barrel, I doubt any grade of ammo would help much. It will shoot a 4 inch group at 128 arshins, good enough for its purpose. Cheap beater gun for a bad environment, I leave it proped up handy at the barn, if someone should happen to steal it, I'm not out much.
basilisk

Ditto the shorter rounds for my SKS. Wolf is fine ammo but isn't match grade.

You have a known bad barrel and you complain of MN's accuracy? Shame on you. Blame your known defective gun, not the rifle in general, as it appeared to be in your first statement. MNs were used very effectively as sniper rifles during their heyday.

Yeah, there's no need to replace it if that's all it's used for.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On Wed, 25 May 2011 08:43:59 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yep, Wolf it is, the brand name had slipped my mind.

Sure, MN's were never as accurate as the German Mauser and the actions are more prone to failure.

in production than the common infantry rifle.

basilisk
On Tue, 24 May 2011 17:08:12 -0700, Larry Jaques

Australian Cattle Dog would easily take a grounded squirrel, as I'm sure would a hundred other varieties.
On Tue, 24 May 2011 17:08:12 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Squirrel dog primer:
Disclaimer, I can only speak for what I have experienced in the South.
Squirrel dogs are typically Feist (closely related to Rat Terriers) although any so inclined dog can serve as a squirrel dog. They serve three purposes, one to get a squirrel on the ground to take to the trees, alert you to the presence of said squirrel and its current location and to circle the tree to bring it around into view where it can be shot.
A good one will bring you the squirrel with trying to eat it first.
Squirrels although otherwise disgusting arboreal rats are quite tasty.
basilisk

On Tue, 24 May 2011 16:25:44 -0700, Sonny wrote:

Nah, you can't get off that easy, it isn't as common as it used to be but businesses in the south were sometimes in odd combinations, (you already know this) a couple of recent examples off the top of my head were "Game room and notary public" and "Ed's chain saw repair and beauty salon". Which begs the question, What would Robatoy use for an appropriate font for such a sign.
Wonder do the dogs and squirrels know they're Cajuns?
basilisk

Man, and here I thought a "squirrel dog" was bred for hunting Cajuns....
My so-far favorite combo shop was in a stop on the road in Utah , something like"Weber Bridal and Model Rocketry Store".
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

On Tue, 24 May 2011 18:28:03 -0700, Edward Hennessey wrote:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
basilisk

On Tue, 24 May 2011 18:28:03 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

Har! Are you sure it wasn't "bridle", though? Or was it a man and wife combo store?
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On 05/24/2011 04:25 PM, Sonny wrote:

boudin?

Mais cher, that's easy! if the dog barks in French, that squirrel is in big trouble.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On Tue, 24 May 2011 22:23:30 -0500, Swingman wrote:

I can mentally hear a dog bark in french, but finding a way to spell it elludes me. :)
basilisk