OT: Ooops! Now What?

Page 2 of 3

I have an old can of WD40 that won't hold a straw, so I figured I'd use it on this. Don't care if I use it up.

Dry in winter here, damp in summer, but it's in the house, so climate controlled.

Last time I used renaissance wax and it works great, on everything I've used it, including cleaning up a few swords for a friend who forgot they were metal and, well, you know.

Sadly, it's more than a little and I need the surface to be smooth to cut larger pieces w/o dragging or getting caught.

Have you seen the new cans of WD40?
I had an Ace Hardware Card recently and needed some WD40. The new WD40 cans have an attached straw. You put it down, it sprays. You lift it up, it shoots out the straw. It is all built in. You don't lose anything. I think it is quite clever.
By the way, another use for WD40. If you get mineral stains in your toilet, put some WD40 in the water and let it soak for awhile. Then scrub with a stiff, nylon brush. The problem is finding a brush that will fit into the small confines of the toilet bowl. I tried it recently on 5 separate toilet bowls. I had brushes to remove 3/4 of the stains. Looking for a short bristle brush that will fit into the small spaces. Then they will all become sparkling clean!
On 2/5/2013 4:02 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

LOL My NEW can of WD 40 is about 6 years old. I did not need any at the time but the NEW delivery set up was cool!
On 2/5/2013 4:39 PM, Leon wrote:

Likewise on the time frame ... the gallon I bought six years ago is about 3/4 full.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/5/2013 4:43 PM, Swingman wrote:

BUT! did your gallon can have the flip up and flip down straw? The regular sized can that I bought 6 years ago had the flip straw set up. ;~)
On 2/5/2013 4:47 PM, Leon wrote:

I don't use WD40 often. But when I do, I pour it. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/5/2013 4:47 PM, Leon wrote:

LOL, OK I'll do one even better. Way back in the very early 80's, probably 1980 I bought a case of 16 oz cans of WD40 for $1 per can from one of my vendors. Hell I probably saved $6. I was about 25 and WD40 was still the miracle fixer upper product much like duck tape is today. I was still living in an apartment at the time so the case went to dad's house. When we cleaned out his house to sell it early last year I think there were 3 cans left in the case.
On 2/5/2013 4:02 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Also great for cleaning stainless steel appliances.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/5/2013 4:46 PM, Swingman wrote:

Not to mention the pleasant aroma that lingers in the house.
Great for removing smashed bugs from the exterior of your car.

I use it to remove tractor grease from my hands. The soap won't touch it, but the WD40 gets it off and then the soap gets the WD40.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/5/2013 5:03 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Also remove stains from your fingers when the POS chinese nitrile gloves from Rockler tear when you look at them.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

The nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight (made in Malaysia, usually) are pretty durable, really.

Thanks for the heads up ... running low and need to resupply soon. My favorites, until they quit carrying them, were Members Mark, Sam's Club brand. I don't know if I just go a bad lot from Rockler, or whether they're just shoddy ... they also stick together badly in the box.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

"Swingman" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Find a safety supply house and get some "Canners gloves".
Yellow, cuff above wrist. About $7-$9/doz pairs.
I used hundreds of them laying up the hull.
Lew
On 2/5/2013 9:41 PM, Swingman wrote:

There are a few different weight gloves at harbor freight. Pick the MIL that fits your need.
--
Jeff

I've just been using the cheap ones, not the heavy-duty gloves -- haven't seen the need for it.

I think the HD gloves work better for me when putting them on. They don't tear so easily..

Where do you get yours?
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 2/6/2013 9:39 AM, Swingman wrote:

Originally from Lee Valley. I don't recall if I cared for them or not. Then I bought a new set on your recommendation from Sam's Club. IIRC I have torn both brands.
Typically I tear them when pulling them on for the first time. If they last past that I can reuse them.
Now an off note. I have on occasion scrubbed through the finger of both brands while applying and or removing gel stains.
Yesterday I applied an old 25+ year old oil stain to an old desk top. Way back when, I took a stain class at a bare wood furniture store. They recommended and I again used a chunk of "pantyhose" for applying the stain.
The panty hose holds but readily releases the stain from the wad. Basically most all of it comes out, not as much waste and easy to apply. And it does not absorb the pigment like towels or t-shirts will. Basically it was effortless applying the oil stain. I wiped off the still wet excess half way through with a blue Scotts shop towel and with a new Scotts shop towel wiped the area again. Great results.

I've had good luck with Woodcraft's Radnor brand.
Mike M