OT - Now MY Truck Died Too

Page 1 of 2

Went out the other day, wouldn't crank. Radio, fan, lights, etc., worked fine. Starter solenoid wouldn't even click. So, last night got the younger son to take me to town, to check the mail, and all. He absolutely hates that. LOL
Today got under it, and jumped the solenoid, to see if that was it. Starter would spin, but wouldn't engage. WTF? Tried several times, just to double-check. Same same. The book doesn't cover that.
So, tonight when the younger kid came in, asked him to take me to town again. Instead, he asked for the truck keys. So, handed them over, and told him what had happened when I checked today.
About 5-10 minutes later, he came back in, and I could hear the truck nunning. Had to ask him what he'd done, he doesn't volunteer much of anything. Turned out the start interlock safety wire had disconnected. That was it. I figure it must have been hanging down and I hit it with my foot, while braking, disconnecting it, on my last trip home. A large relieve I don't have to toss any money at it. Heck, it's almost new, a '79 GMC, barely getting broken in, runs like a top. Yes, I did write "seventy nine",
At times like this, the kid comes in handy. Life is basically good.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:38:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:
[ top posted for your convenience]
I was going to email you the solution to the problem, but...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Truly the funniest damn thing I've read all week. I don't normally write things like "LOL", etc... but for the above crack you get a hearty LMAO!
And if you ask me, it is faster and more convenient for all. If you want all the story, look for it under my post.

Fri, Jan 6, 2006, 2:07am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (LRod) skipped in and chanted: [ top posted for your convenience] I was going to email you the solution to the problem, but...
[Bottom posted for understanding.]
Smartass.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
Anyone know how to get spewed coffee out of a keyboard?
(J T)

Anyone know how to get spewed coffee out of a keyboard? [That's the "belt and suspenders" approach.]
Jim Stuyck
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:38:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I bought a new Honda Civic to take over the commuting chores of the 1987 F-150.
I drive sixty miles a day plus the weekend load.
I figure, when I average the repair cost over the last three years, and the difference in gas consumption, this little thing costs me $94.00 a month, which ain't bad.
Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

Did you get the hybrid or conventional. I'm getting near the estimated 48mpg with mine if I drive conservatively and use the regenerative braking as much as possible. It's interesting how many people think they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up until you can't see their headlights. Joe
Fri, Jan 6, 2006, 7:44am snipped-for-privacy@musc.edu (JoeGorman) inforeth us: Did you get the hybrid or conventional. I'm getting near the estimated 48mpg <snip>
Scientific studies have found you can increase both your miles per gallon, and horsepower, but putting a large Maxwell House coffee can on the end of your exhaust.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
It's interesting how many people think

Funny, that usually has the effect of making me slow down.....
And gets their faces the most interesting shade of red too... Fun is where you find it.
Also Joe
A neighbor was in next lane when a young hot rod enthusiast RUSHED up[ behind us and BOTH of us slowed down to about half the speed limit. Half a block later he was allowed to pass and did so at a decent speed, surprisingly.
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:26:42 GMT, "noonenparticular"

Sat, Jan 7, 2006, 8:49am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net (nospambob) sppedily says: A neighbor was in next lane when a young hot rod enthusiast RUSHED up[ behind us <snip>
Around here, they're usually driving a Honda Civic when they do that.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax

Dumb.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Bill wrote:

I actually saw what was probably one of those cases last week.
While driving along @ 6:30 AM, a Jeep Grand Cherokee came whizzing by me on a two lane, 35 MPH road. I was waiting to turn onto the same road from a side street. I was initially pissed, but as he disappeared into the distance, I realized he had his flashers on and was headed in the general direction of our local hospital.
We have a paid fire department, so he wouldn't have been a volunteer fireman.
Illness, baby on the way, or late for work moron, I'll never know. In hindsight, I'm betting on either of the first two.
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 08:49:30 -0800, nospambob

Hmm, you and your neighbor's act of blocking the car seems ill-advised and dangerous. Unless, maybe, you knew the young person. Even then probably a bad idea.
... snip

... as long as you are in the slow lane. :-)

I bought the conventional model. I just wasn't convinced of the long term reliability of the newer technology.
"You can always tell the pioneers - they're the ones with the arrows in their backs."
Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Joe Gorman wrote: It's interesting how many people think

It doesn't make much sense in the slow lane, but it does work to snap a lot of people out of their stupor when they are going too slow in the fast lane. I find it works best when you are a little to the left so they can see you in their side mirror. Sam