OT: No more Twinkies???

Page 1 of 2
Another American-Icon hits the dust:
Hostess Brands is Closed.
http://hostessbrands.com/Closing.aspx
On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:53:34 -0500, Bill wrote:

Never fear, brand and trade mark rights will be sold and production outsourced to union free China.
basilisk

On 11/16/2012 2:53 PM, Bill wrote:

The knee jerks will automatically blame it on the unions, but their products are arguably outdated in a time when the results of empty calories are becoming apparent.
Besides, most kids no longer take their lunches to school. :)
We weren't allowed them as kids (considered an expensive frivolity by parents who were themselves children of the depression), so I never got the habit.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

sponsored all of the Peanuts shows (Charlie Brown Christmas, etc.)!
Swingman wrote:

We were "allowed them", my mom just wouldn't buy them...
I think there is a "run" going on right now to get the last boxes. How much will the "World's Last Twinkie" will go for on ebay? :)
On 11/16/2012 5:44 PM, Bill wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Boxes-of-TWINKIES-/160923795415
--
Froz...

"Bill" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

We were "allowed them", my mom just wouldn't buy them...
I think there is a "run" going on right now to get the last boxes. How much will the "World's Last Twinkie" will go for on ebay? :) ==========================================================================What are they going to do in the birthplace of the deep fried Twinkie (Seattle)?

Mike M

popular acclaim, and the notion spread to other state fairs across the U.S., as well as some establishments that specialize in fried foods.[13] Fried Twinkies are sold throughout the U.S. in fairs as well as ball games, and in various restaurants." ...Wikipedia
A couple more twinkie facts.
Originally they were a sponge cake filled with banana crme. They were cooked in shortbread pans. It was an effort to use the pans year round. Apparently the pans were used of a single event/holiday. But world war 2 happened and rationing was in effect. So they made a cheap knockoff and the rest is history.
Also, some folks are now making up batches of "gourmet twinkies" to sell in some local markets. Which raises the quest, what exactly is a "gourmet twinkie"? And how much money will be charged for this "culinary" item. (And who pays big bucks for a "gourmet twinkie"?)

guy. He said that an iconic, empty calorie treat could be marketed very well. They could offer limited runs, different flavors, etc. Do the nostalgia thing, with a few modern wrinkles. Depressingly, he is probably correct.
Only a marketing guy would consider empty calories to be a good thing.
On 11/16/2012 6:17 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Like putting caffeine in Cracker Jacks ...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/11/16/cracker-jacks-adding-coffee-caffeine/1709179 /
Folks are so farking stupid and gullible these days that marketing works.
NPR had a call-in show yesterday for folks who had been caught shoplifting ... to hear those folks who called in, and to think that they are allowed/encouraged to vote, is all you need to know about the societal end game being played out.
Basically, game over ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/16/2012 9:39 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/11/16/cracker-jacks-adding-coffee-caffeine/1709179 /
It's been game over for a while. A few years ago I thought it was bizarre that parents were doing their kids homework for them so the kids could play or do whatever. I realized at that point that the parents were the problem, not totally the schools fault.
How about parents giving kids the money so that someone could take the SAT's for them.
When the moral's are not taught from the parents, where would you learn from?
Everyone wants an advantage.
wrote

Some people (not you, Karl) simply don't understand what education is supposed to do. Kill off teaching and/or the desire to be a teacher, and kids won't learn (with a few exceptions). Then it is really game over.
I heard that Christie and Booker have brokered a new teacher contract in Newark. I was more than half asleep this morning when I heard it, but even the teachers' union was on board. Of course, Mark Zuckerberg's money helped a lot.
When Christie, Booker, Randi Weinstein and others can get to an agreement, Utopia has become reality, or I am dreaming. But, let's see what my teacher kids have to say ...
<http://preview.tinyurl.com/bomc3s9
--
Best regards
Han

That is part of it, but the company is an overall fiscal mess. CEO salary triples, upper management salaries up 80%, yet the Teamsters agree that a 10% worker cut is needed. Unfunded pension payments due too
I'd not be surprised if the company is sold for fifty bucks and opens under a new name. Need a job? I have openings for your old position at 40% of your previous salary.

Sales have been declining for years now. I'm sure the brand and recipes will be sold and the bakeries will be downsized, but they will re-open under the new company at 75% of former pay for employees.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How does that work, do they screw the stock-holders and the bond-holders, or just the stock-holders? It seems like we've seen this play a few times before with K-Mart, Sears, and GM, at least.
Bill wrote:

Well, the two largest investors in Hostess, venture capitalist firms run by Democrats, are out some $200 million.

On 11/16/2012 8:08 PM, Meanie wrote:

nationalize the Twinkie industry:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/nationalize-twinkie-industry/cJz0ngJR