OT: My first car accident...

Page 1 of 4
Morning everyone,
I left work yesterday afternoon to go to Harveys to pickup some lunch. On the way back, I was stopped at a red light (first car, curb lane) at a busy intersection here in London Ontario for about 10 seconds and then I heard a THUD and my Ranger moved forward (I had my foot firmly on the break).
Oh Fark I thought, I looked in my rearview and saw a red Dodge Caravan, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t I thought. I put on my four ways and got of the truck. I looked at my rear bumper and couldn't see much damage, looked like it was tilted under slightly. Caravan's license plate and cover is smashed in and the bumper is all messed up. I am in Canada, and it is cold and snowy, but the road was dry, this guy should have been able to stop. I head to the drivers window and he rolls it down, "Sorry Man", he says. I reply "Sorry does not quite cover it". I ask him for some ID, his license and insurance. There might not be much damage, but I want his info in case there are things I cannot see. My plan is to take the truck to the dealership and have them give it a through look over. Guy hums and hahs, says "Hey, there is no reason to get the Police involved". This guy is either drunk or very low on the IQ scale, he is not speaking very well. I hadn't mentioned anything about the Police, I should have paid more attention to this remark. He starts to get his wallet out and suggests we turn into the parking lot as we are holding up traffic at a major intersection (Clark and Dundas for any local people). I get out a note pad and pen and write down the make, model and license plate of the van. I then get back into my truck and turn into the parking lot. He does not. The third car does turn in and stops to talk to me. The lady asks, "Was he supposed to follow you in here?" I reply "Yes he was". "He left", she says. She asks if I got the license plate and gives me a note with her name, number and what she wrote down.
I go into a store to use the phone, I call the police. The police are there in about 15 minutes. I am with the police for about 45 minutes as they take a report. They show me a picture of the guy and ask if it is him, I say it is. He is known to them. He has no license and is under suspension. The dispatch a cruiser to his house to keep an eye on it to make sure he does not go out.
I am asked to follow the officer to the goof balls house and to wait nearby in case I have to identify him.
With two cruisers outside his house, I wait in a nearby parking lot about another 45 minutes. Finally the police come out and I speak with the officer. I am told they are calling him an ambulance as when they were talking with him, he was fading in and out. They cannot charge him with DUI because he was home alone for a period of time and could have started drinking when he got home. He does have 5 previous DUI's, a suspended license, no insurance, and was probably drunk at the time. He was charged under our Federal law with Leaving the Scene of an Accident, which is a pretty serious charge. I am told that I might be called to trial if this goes to court.
The officer was very nice, polite and courteous. He thanks me for waiting around and for the help I have been.
When I got home I called my brother (GM of a car dealership) to see when I can get my truck in for a full once over. There doesn't seem to be any damage, and if the guy had just given me any info, that might have been the end of it.
This ruined my Day. I never did have lunch yesterday and I hope there isn't anything wrong with my truck.
What an idiot.
David.

isn't
Surely, it wasted your day, but consider it from an optimistic point of view. A (probably over the limit) driver ran into you and you weren't hurt. There was negligible damage to your vehicle and you lost some time that could have been put to better use. Under very similar circumstances, a friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver three years ago. I wish she'd have been as fortunate as you.
Hope there's nothing wrong with you. Today will tell the tale in your back and neck, but sounds like you might get off free.
Lady in a bigass Chrysler (talking on the phone) took a shot at my current Ranger when he was new. Bent the bumper under and scratched it. If you need the bumper, with scratch, but straight, it's in the shed....

busy
isn't
Send the f*ckwit to jail, he could have run over a little kid, driving drunk at lunchtime.
I really don't mean to be a weenie, but I don't care what time of day it is, or who is walking around! They could just as easily run over my wife, my mother, or my son. I really do not understand this selfish act, but then again I do not understand smoking either. At this point of my life, I am glad to not have to understand them myself.
Chris Mooney
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 07:21:15 -0500, Cult of Nurse's

I agree completly.

I can't help but think what a miserable life he must have to continually do that. I also can't help but think he should be in jail where he might be forced to consider consequences.
Greg

If his life is miserable it is probably because he has made it that way. Unless proven otherwise he gets absolutely NO sympathy.

They cannot charge him with DUI

The modus operandi in Wisconsin in such situations is to ask the perp if he had been drinking since he got home. This is normally done is such a fashion as to suggest he'd be in a hell of a lot of trouble if he had. Once he answers "no", you slap the cuffs on him and ring up DUI #6.
He was charged

Yes, this is not nearly as serious in Wisconsin. In your scenario, he gets off with just a traffic citation, unless someone is injured, then he's f****d.

You're not hurt. Minor damage to your vehicle. No inoscent bystanders were hurt. Could have been worse. Think of this as one more incident that may lead to him getting real help, or real jail time. Either way, not a bad thing at all.

Yup
Joe

I was always under the impression that leaving the scene of an accident was considerably more serious than a traffic citation.
Personal injury versus property damage. Property damage <$400 does not even require policing here.
As to DUI, the only real hope, in my opinion, is to get video (invasion of privacy many places) of the individual while under. BAC means little to a jury, and you can bet the defense _will_ request a jury, because there's scarcely an individual in that jury pool who hasn't said "I shouldn't have driven myself home" the next morning. We've got a 3rd offense felony law in MI, but there are regulars at our jail with a dozen DWI - driving while impaired convictions.
Fortunately, the legal/psychological system has those alcohol classes they make 'em attend....

was
In Iowa, we want the BAC simply becuase anything over .08 is an automatic conviction. The only thing they could argue is if implied concent proceures were followed. Not having a BAC doesn't mean it's down the tubes, it just means the officer has to show through testimony and witnesses that the person was under the influence - not difficult, in fact - I've not heard of one lost yet.
Don

I should hope that in Iowa 'automatic conviction' remains unconstitutional, though probably an instruction to the jury that all the state must prove is that the defendant had a BAC of or above .08 while driving to prove DWI would pass muster.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@execpc.com (BIG JOE) wrote in

and what good will that do? They have already taken away his license and he has been charged with multiple drunk driving charges. It is time to:
1) make it illegal for him to own or operate a motor vehicle. If caught violating he should be sent away for 5 - 10 years.
2) Confiscate any vehicles that he currently owns.
3) Place him in forced rehab.
4) Cane him.
If after 5 years he is clean and has lived up to the rules he can petition the court to get his driving/ownership privelages back. But to do so he has to give up the consumption of any alcoholic beverage.
Joe Willmann wrote:

Just an idle thought, do you have an ice pick. Does he have tires or a gas tank? Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Joe, I couldn't agree more. In Wisconsin, we are more interested in lowering the BAC limit to .08 than cracking down on repeat offenders, who typically blow .20 or higher, and won't stop until they kill someone. I would move the lower limit back to .10, and create a minimum of two levels. You can then make .20 30 days in jail on the first offense, and a felony on the second. I would also up the penalties on repeat .10 offenders as well. Repeat offenders would also not be allowed to own a vehicle for five years, subject to random checks every six months or so.
Joe
BIG JOE wrote:

Just FYI, that may be a little difficult. For example, my name is on the title (and loan) for the minivan my wife drives.
-- Mark
[posted and mailed]

random
the
Then I wouldn't recommend that you allow her to drive your vehicles while under the influence or withou a valid drivers license. I would still pull the vehicle and confiscate it. After all it would be your fault if she was to drive it that way.
No sympathy from me here on this. Same for the parents of a teenager that gives their child the car to drive.
Joe Willmann wrote:

For illustration <g> it's highly unlikely she'd be the one with the -OH problem. <g>
-- Mark
They are working on .08 because if they don't, they'll lose a ton of Federal Highway dollars. It's all about the money.
Don