OT: Just got a juicer

Page 2 of 3
On 4/3/2010 6:12 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Yeah, yeah; I think we've all heard those "just give a sideways glance at a bottle of vermouth" prescriptions. (By the bye, didn't Herb Caen tell this same story?)
Myself, I'll use gin or vodka as I please (but prefer gin), and mix the drink in the proportions of a little vermouth:a lot of gin/vodka.
A frosted glass is always a Good Thing. And it should be a classic martini glass, not a tumbler or a Coke glass or a wine glass.
My personal recipe (not original to me, but given by some friends, Joe & Kirsten):
Obtain a cocktail shaker. Mix gin (or vodka) and vermouth in your preferred ratio. Put in 2-3 good-sized ice cubes. Shake the hell out of the shaker.
The drink is considered done when your hand starts sticking to the shaker.
The resulting ice crystals in the martini make an exquisite drink.

- a Usenet "apology"

The BEST 'martini' (yup, that's what they called it) was a crew of demolition guys, hired to tear down 6 store-fronts on Queen West in TO, and it was HOT HOT HOT that day. They had a formula... and it fit exactly; a job-site cooler, which took the following: 2 x 40 oz of Boodles gin. 3 x 1.5 liter bottles of Schweppes tonic. ONE whole bag of ice. and one pint of lemon juice. . . . it was 106F that day. There were 8 of us...we refilled that sucker twice. We were intoxocuted.
"Robatoy" wrote: -------------------------------- The BEST 'martini' (yup, that's what they called it) was a crew of demolition guys, hired to tear down 6 store-fronts on Queen West in TO, and it was HOT HOT HOT that day. They had a formula... and it fit exactly; a job-site cooler, which took the following: 2 x 40 oz of Boodles gin. 3 x 1.5 liter bottles of Schweppes tonic. ONE whole bag of ice. and one pint of lemon juice. . . . it was 106F that day. There were 8 of us...we refilled that sucker twice. We were intoxocuted.
------------------------------------------ Went to a co-op school in Cleveland right down the street from the Cleveland Clinic.
My room mate had a co-op job working in the Clinic pharmacy where a supply of grain ethyl, all 190+ proof of it, was maintained.
Once and awhile, a bottle of "grain" would show up on our desk.
Time to hike 3-4 blocks to the local grocery for some cans of Hawaiian Punch.
Mix the magic elixirs together and place on outside window sill for 30 minutes.
(When you are 13 floors up looking at Lake Erie in January, it's cold outside.)
Ah the memories.
Lew

I enlisted in the USAF in Cleveland. Spent my last night as a civilian there.
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Back in the days when I would partake a martin-eye or two, would keep a bottle of "Shine" in the zero degree freezer.
At 190+, that stuff would get your attention, as QUICK.
Made no difference your normal preference, gin or vodka, a sip of that stuff, and all you wanted was water.
Lew

When I was stationed at Montgomery, Alabama, we'd buy mason jars of shine at a roller rink in Columbus, Georgia.

Screw the lid off a pint of 100 proof Tangueray gin, pitch lid out car window, after much discussion with your drinking partner, mark the halfway point with your thumb, drink down to the marked point and pass to partner, they discard empty bottle out the other window.
Perfect martini.
basilisk

They make 100 proof Tanq gin!!?? On what planet and how much are tickets?
nb
On 4/5/2010 11:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

Nahh, that's just gin. For it to be a martini you need a picture of a vermouth bottle in the car.
On 4/5/2010 1:56 PM J. Clarke spake thus:

I believe the standard prescription is pouring the gin while looking at a portrait of Lorenzo Schwartz, the inventor of vermouth. So just tape a picture to the dash.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 19:12:52 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

But then you have the moonshine martini, you just stick a few pine needle in your mason jar of hooch for a minute, remove needles.
Mark
On 4/3/2010 8:08 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Seven and you're a banker.
Ten and you're a legislator,
15 and you're President, Premier, Emir, or Potentate.
On 4/3/2010 8:49 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well... I have no objection to vodka in its place, it's just not a martini. Gin must be (or should be, anyway) consumed with discretion, taste, and restraint, or the old adage will kick in, "Gin makes you sin". I have a lovely relationship - restrained and disciplined - with Hendrix, a particularly fine example of Ginophage.

These are children's drinks wherein the intent is to get mentally rearranged and never taste the instrument of one's destruction. For such people, I recommend straight Sterno.
P.S. I have few rules about living, but one of them is ironclad: No alcohol before power tools, firearms, or women - mixing any of the aforementioned will cause one to lose life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim Daneliuk snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /
On 4/2/2010 2:37 PM Tim Daneliuk spake thus:

Hmmm; not bad for a right-winger. Have to try that sometime.

- a Usenet "apology"
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Courtesy of one of my customers who advertised it as "Best Bloody Mary on the West Side", a reference to the West side of Cleveland.
You never wanted to call on this side until late in the day, but it sure was a good way to get your veggies<G>. ------------------------------- Andy's Bloody Mary:
1, 750 ml, 100 proof vodka 1, Large can, Campbell's V8 juice 1 ,8 Oz Cup, Lea & Perrins Worchestshire Sauce 2 Tbl, Celery salt.
Gently stir above, serve over ice with stalk of celery to stir.
Lime slice optional.
Cuts to the chase, no mess to clean up.
Lew
On 4/2/2010 9:30 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's missing one thing: 1 tbsp pickle juice.
On 4/2/2010 8:44 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

You are deeply confuse - I'm not even close to being a right winger... I just can't stand the left.

So, you're with MLB?

Major League Baseball?

.
Ahh. I get it. Different kind of juice. ;^)