OT - Humour or Insight

Page 2 of 2
TeamCasa responds:

Yeah, well that's not as big a problem as figuring out what kind of person would spend the treasure chest equivalent of a not-so-small country and work his, or (and soon) her, ass off to get such a job, one that most of us would, to be polite, shy away from.
It's a little bit like the humorist who claimed that he would refuse to belong to any club that would accept him as a member.
My first lesson in what it does to people was when I got a look at Ike in, IIRC, late '59, after seeing him on TV a few years earlier (b&w TV for the early view may explain part of it, of course, as people look different in person than they do even on color TV): he looked like hell, even though he was smiling and cheerful sounding. Facial lines, worry lines, all sorts of sags in the face. It may have been health, it may well have been lack of sleep, but it was fairly obvious that the worry of the Presidency had worn him down as nothing had before. Carter, in just four years, aged more than he has in the succeeding 20. Even Clinton the carefree aged more than the eight years he was in office.
The job is a killer and there are no real thanks in the century in which the person filling the job lives.
I wouldn't care to work hard enough to get elected, never mind put myself through all the minute-by-minute tensions of such a job.
Charlie Self "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
On 10 Nov 2004 18:27:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

You've also noticed the aging ? The one exception I can think of is Regan.