Converted Garage as Office - it's very cold in here

ok..one of the reasons I moved to my current address was the double garage which had been converted - this has become my office.

Summer - great - Winter - I am freezing my proverbials off.

I have insulated the loft area - but - the real problem (I believe) was the conversion was never done properly in the first place.

OK it looks nice but the walling (stud walling??) attached to the garage brick work is just that - i do not think there is any inuslation between the wall and the brick work - hence the massive loss of heat.

Is it a massive job to pull the wall (stud?) of the brick work - rebaton - stuff with insulation material and the put the wall back again - amateur at work mind you.

OR..

any other suggestions to keep the heat in this garage conversion???? (I'm sitting here with a woolly hat on and several layers..great my office)

Thanks for any suggestions

Reply to
LongYP

Is there any heating in the space?

Reply to
htmark98

Well apparently 8 minutes ago it was "bloody freezing", so at least it sounds like things are warming up a bit now.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can you gain access from the loft area to the stud gaps? Then you could pour down vermiculite or slide in high performing foam insulation like Kingspan.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Draughts? What's covering the garage doors? Hope you haven't got a through path for gales...

Reply to
Adrian C

No need to remove woodwork, just remove PB. Fit rockwool or similar and replace PB. Either tape the joints and paint, or if you want it nicely finished get it skimmed by a plasterer.

May be worth doing the floor too, apply a layer of insulation then wood over it.

If there is any access, a fill with polystyrene balls is always an option. You wont get rigid sheet insulation in there of course.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Reply to
LongYP

Thanks for the replies.

Adrian C - Garage Doors are good - been bricked up and window and door put in.

Doctor Drivel - I will check the loft space and see if I can gain access to the gaps - like the sound of this idea.

Reply to
LongYP