Garage conversion

Hi all Quick question If I may Due to expanding family I would like to convert the garage to an office. The garage is brick and adjoins the house along 1 wall. The outer garage wall is single brick and has 1 window. The room is tiled and slopes upwards at about 50°. I cannot remove the front garage door and brick up and window due to planning permission. The plan is to split the garage with a partition wall then put a skylight in the sloping roof ( done by a pro.). Now my question is on how to insulate the single brick walls (cheaply). Would it be ok to build a wooden fraw, insulate between with roll or insulating polystyrene. hardboard over and plaster ??? I obviously dont want to create a fire hazard, but would like the challenge of having a go myself. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

dave

Reply to
davex

Basically I'd go for a wooden frame, using 2"x2" or 3"x2" timber, positioned 1" away from the existing wall (ie not touching it), and fill in the studwork with 2" thick Celotex or Kingspan insulation boards. Plasterboard (certainly not hardboard) over that, and skim plaster.

There's lots in the archives of this ng on more details of how to do this.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Just done this as described above except 60mm kingspan tp 10 I used vapour barrier Plasterboard. HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Just done this as described above except 60mm kingspan tp 10 I used vapour barrier Plasterboard. HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Just stick (dot'n'dab) Kingspan K17 boards on directly to the wall, then fill joints or skim.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Oh c'mon - someone should have posted a witticism by now!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why not put the partition up against the garage door or brick up behind the door ? Then you could use the whole garage as an office.

I've a feeling you'll need to conform to building regs (not positive though) so "cheaply" may not be an option

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton