OT - How Unique!

Page 2 of 3
Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Don't know that we know...
Just got this from a embedded systems consulting guru whose newsletter I subscribe to. His take at the moment--

Excerpted from

... [snip] ...

Tacoma frame rust-out.

Ford in China too has suspended production and sales of their larger vehicles. Apparently CTI located in Elkhart IN is the maker of the pedals with the problems. I would not rule out other auto makers in the near future. Apparently the Pontiac Vibe has the pedal also.
Toyota has been denying it. They had a smaller, quieter recall last year for a related issue. Supposedly the rugs were catching the gas petals.
Isn't that president supposed to commit harry carry after a major embarrassment such as this?
RonB wrote:

How have they been denying it???? I was informed by Toyota last year of the problem as was all of the other owners with affected cars. Do you own an affected Toyota? Because the recall has not made the news does tham make Toyota quilty of denying?
All of the auto makers have campaign recalls on going most all of the time, that is not news.
While we are at it, lets take a moment to honor the king of the Detroit disposables.
The Chevy Chevette
Yes, the Vega was a contender but they didn't build enough of those to fill salvage yards like the Chevette. Most of the Pintos burned.
We did a floor-up restoration of a 67 Camaro during the late 80's and I was frequenting a couple of local salvage yards for pieces. It dawned on me that there was an enormous number of Chevettes in these yards. I started looking at a few because the bodies and interiors on many looked pretty good. I was surprised at the number of them with odometer readings in the 40-50K range.
I mentioned it to one of the salvage yard guys. "Hell we could run this place on Chevettes. They are the ultimate throw-away car. You buy one and it's worn out in 50,000 miles. Then we get it and use it to keep the other poor bastards going for a few miles. Love 'em!"
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:32:51 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Toyota denying it? 2.4 million vehicles being recalled DID make the news, guys. I got my notice, too, but my pedal has 2.5" of clearance from my floor mat so it wasn't a life-threatener. We'll see what comes of it. My throttle feel hasn't changed in 2 years, and that's something I would have noticed.

Yes it is. It's bad news, every time, to somebody.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:17:36 -0500, Michael Kenefick

My 2006 Tundra was recalled in 2007. The Toyota dealer notified me and replaced the front ball joints. And then, sometimes the Toyota dealer can be a pest, trying me to trade for a newer model. Geez, my truck is barely broken in at 16,000 miles. Overall, it's a good solid truck and hope to take it to well-over 100,000 miles. If at the time I was truck shopping, if I did not cut a good deal, I was ready to look at Ford 150s where there are more choices and high demand. I think Ford makes a good truck, certainly better looking than a Tundra.

I hope you out last the truck... At the rate you are going you will have it 25 years before you reach 100K.
If at the

Ford certainly makes a good looking truck but IMHO they are spending more on looks than dependability and that is probably the single reason why the imports are starting to gain on the big truck market. I absolutely hated the looks of the new 07 Tundras. I shopped Ford, GMC, Chevrolet and Toyota. I have only owned GM trucks and was totally turned off by both GMC and Chevrolet. The backs seats were to up right to be comfortable and the back doors wiggled visibly on the highway. Our 97 Chevy was great but my wife could not get comfortable in the 07 GM trucks. I had about decided to not buy a new truck but went ahead and test drove the Tundra. I almost knew before getting out of the lot for a test drive that I would probably but the Tundra, it felt that much better. I wanted quality for a change, so far no disappointment.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:09:06 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

At 6k a year, my Tundra oughta outlast me, too.

Dittoes on all the concepts and realizations you stated above, 'cept I've never owned (and never will) a Chebby truck. <insert Robatoy Raspberry here for GM>
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
Snip\\

I did not have the incentive to continure with GM trucks this time aroundalthough the GMC I looked at was offered at $5k less than the Toyota. My employeer sold GMC when I bought GMC, great price, and I looked better buying what I sold, so to speak. My 97 Chevy was $3500. below dealer invoice using my bank of credit dollars on my GM CCard.

After years of driving Volvos (including the 1800S and ES!), I switched to Toyotas. We've been quite happy with them. Maybe not exciting cars, but certainly drivable.
Then I was seduced by a gloriously yellow ("DOT yellow") Chevy Colorado. I liked that truck -- it was the right size, had some amenities, and it was YELLOW! But there were some niggling little things, like the radio antenna. It was just about 1/4 inch too near the windshield for the wiper blade to clear when you scrubbed the windshield. And the parking brake peddle snagged my cuff EVERY time I got in the damn truck...
But the real kicker came in the three months immediately prior to the warranty expiration.
Month 3: replaced the heater blower motor (under warranty).
Month 2: replaced the heater blower motor (under warranty).
Month 1: replaced the heater -- bet you thought I was going to write "blower moter," didnt you? -- control switch.
Month 0: replaced the truck. I'm back in a Toyota. It's red.
Able to haul a lot of wood and machinery in that, too!
said:

The Colorado and Canyon days are numbered.

One of the parts that GM refuses to build better, I stocked at any given time probably 2-3 hundred blower motors.

Naw, LOL you were at your quota.
Given enough time you certianly would have replaced the alternator, I stocked close to 1K of assorted numbers. And the AC compressor, those were ordered by the hundreds per part number. When GM dropped the rebuildable A6 axial compressor and when with the radial in the mid 70's reliability failed.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:14:03 -0500, the infamous Phisherman

Perhaps, but I wouldn't trade my Tundra for ten F-series trucks. I ran my old truck ('90 F-150) for 17 years and was absolutely astounded when I drove a new one. What a difference! Then I tried the Tacoma (not bad, but hated the wimpy brake system) and the Tundra. I instantly fell head over heels for the Tundra. It didn't hurt that the vehicle I bought was $14k less than the equivalent F-series.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Yabbut...
I still recall fondly standing INSIDE the engine compartment of an old F150 straight 6 doing a complete tuneup including valve adjustments...
Deep sigh...
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:03:55 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Ditto, next to my 312 V-8 on the '61 F-100, my very first truck.
-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:03:55 -0600, Dave Balderstone

The bad news was that you *had* to do frequent tune-ups. Good riddance coils and points!

Anyone want to buy a used points file?
;-)
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:53:05 -0600, Dave Balderstone

How about a dwell meter and timing light??? Or a tachometer, even?????
I think my brother has my old timing light & dwell meter.