OT: How can this be?

I just got the news that Tim Russert died. Just 58.... that's it.

In the mire of journalistic bozos that are unashamedly biased, but more important, just plain stupid he was a real bright spot. I like that fact (even though I may not have like the questions) that he asked intelligent questions on an impromptu basis, and it wasn't about the horse crap issues the talking heads dwell on.

I watched him almost every Sunday with my coffee in hand when he was on NBC. I liked the fact that he seemed pretty even handed. After he left, I quit watching the political shows altogether. I don't need the agitation of listening to sensationalizing idiots looking for a sound byte to further their careers..

I liked the fact he wasn't embarrassed or ashamed to be an American. I listened to him dig into the knotty problems of all that has gone wrong over the last several years in the US domestically and in our foreign affairs, and never once did he intimate the self loathing from being an American that the talking heads do.

Apparently he was a great father, husband, son and family man. In the interviews I have seen of him, his biggest source or pride was his family. He really seemed to me to mean it, too. To me, that alone makes him a special kind of guy.

So long, Tim. You will be missed.

Do yourself a favor, and don't look down to see what kind of moron they find to put in your place.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I don't think I have watched 'Meet The Press' more than a dozen times in the last umpteen years. I have seen Russert interviewed and I have seen him offer his opinions when asked as part of a 'panel'. I can't say he ever bothered me, made me feel talked down to, or felt he was arrogant. He came across as a professional, doing his job, and if a personal opinion was included, he'd say that.

But...... shit... 58. With his health-care package, non-smoker, only a little over-weight, dropping dead like that is not a bad way to go..albeit WAY too soon. (I am one year older, ffs.)

Who's next? Can they find another Bill O'?

Reply to
Robatoy

Just turned on the tube and got the news.

Felt like I had just taken one between the eyes.

My immediate thoughts were of my father who cashed in at 54.

After that his son, I was about his age when my dad died.

Then his father followed by his wife.

No one expects to bury a child.

As I type this, I remember the advice given at a sales training course many years ago.

"The meter is always running."

No point in going to bed at night with unsettled petty grudges.

You never know.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

RIP, much too soon!

**
**

B A R R Y

In a world of sensationalized entertainment posing as new in a world of talking heads who, without an earpliece telling them what to say, couldn't utter two consecutive sentences on any thing substantial in a world where arguements and shouting matches are billed as informative in world where advancing one's career trumps honesty and integrity in a world changing at an accelerating rate there was this guy Tim who did his homework and asked the important questions and kept at it 'til he got an answer, without being rude or obnoxious

This guy was a really good example of a gentleman.

A good son a good husband a good father a good friend to so many an honest journalist and interviewer

By his example perhaps "the news" folks will get embarassed and get back to reporting - not "entertainment".

When a guy like this goes so unexpectedly and so relatively young - the first impulse is to rage against the unfairness of things. A little reflection and the realization that we had the opportunity to see a wonderful example of how IT can be done

- son, husband, father, friend, journalist and gentleman - in the turist sense of the word.

Reply to
charlieb

...yep While he may have leaned somewhat left, he had the journalistic integrity to ask tough questions of either side -- that's a trait greatly lacking in others in the media.

He will definitely be missed; thoughts and prayers for his family.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

A glaring contrast to the current trend of big lipped/big titted, ex-lawyer bimbos gushing what passes for commentary.

Reply to
Swingman

I think what made him likeable and credible was his genuine interest in what he was doing. Most all people on TV delivering the news and their views these days are simply drones.

Reply to
Leon

That's the point, Mr Russert was best at asking questions, not mouthing off opinions. He let other Talking Heads mouth off, he just controlled the conversation.

RIP, you done good.

Reply to
Phil Again

He didn't lean left - he leaned Catholic :-).

And yes, we'll all miss him. I was looking forward to his attempts to keep Obama and McCain honest. Won't be half as interesting without him.

At least he went quick - I hope I go as quickly.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yup, I don't want any advanced notice of my demise either. Quick is good. I don't have to get my affairs in order. I have no affair going at this particular moment in time. Of course, that would be another quick way to go... I just tell Angela I have a girlfriend..LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Pat Barber