Using ebonized wood as edge trim

I'd like to use ebonized walnut as edge trim (3/4 x 1) for the shelves in an entertainment center.

However, my experience has always been that there may be a few mil offsets between the trim and the shelf. Typically, a few swipes with a scraper or plane and everything's good.

This is fine with bare wood. Dyed wood, different story. The dye doesn't penetrate much more than a few mils and scraping may remove all color. Not a good solution.

I tried dry fitting the trim and cleaning the offsets up before dying and gluing. This almost works.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? The best would be "do this to get through penetration with the dye."

tnx

Reply to
cmattair

Maybe not a better solution, but something that will work. Put your first coat of finish on your shelf, but not your trim. Dry fit.

Attach the trim using your chosen method, and leave the trim only proud, not the shelf. If you slice off a piece of the "ebonized" material, you can touch it up with your dye and a Q - tip by carefully swabbing on the dye in the bare or discolored areas. The finish on the shelf will keep the dye off the wood, and therefore keep it from getting any dye.

Mind your first coat of finish. If it is shellac or sanding sealer, make sure you don't thin the dye with alcohol, or use a NGR (non grain raisings are usually at least part alcohol in solvency) dye that isn't water based.

Finish as normal.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41