OT: How can I killfile the idiot

Why in the world is that? Just because some idiot posts announcements of deaths in order to gen up sympathy for his anti-war cause? Why should you feel bad about trying to ignore pro-islamo-fascist propaganda? i.e, the fact is that he is using the deaths of these servicemen to promote his own political agenda. If he were to equivalently post the good they accomplished in Iraq, or other pertinent information, that would be one thing. When confronted by the likes of Pravda, Tass, or moveon.org, one is best off to ignore it rather than trying to separate the "truth" out of "News" or "News" out of "Truth".

Mark & Juanita

Good for you. I have a few approaches as well that require only minor tuning from time to time, but I'm sure not going to publicly broadcast them. That'd kind of be like telling the enemy the what and how of how you are monitoring their conversations, eh?

Mark & Juanita

Mon, Feb 6, 2006, 8:25pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@woody.com (2006.2252) doth burble: Your just a tired old man and I got out an E7 Sorry that you're so all alone and have nothing more in your life then sawdust and this NG!!!!

Ya see, Buttercup? Yer doin' nuthin' but proving my point. You don't swear, you don't know how, all you know how to do it repeat some bad words, over, and over, and over, and over, ad nauseam. And, what the big deal about getting out as an E7? If I rember right, I did too. But, I'm such a tired old man my memory isn't quite what it used to be. All alone? Must be talking about yourself, 'cause I've got a fambly. And, yeah, I think I do have one or three things more in my life other then sawdust and here. For one thing, bought another turbocharger today, be along in a few days. They'll eventually wind up on one of "the other" 350s - not a Chebby. But, I'm not going to carry on about my life, I don't think you could relate, because, it would seem you don't have much of one to relate with. It's like I said before Buttercup, your posts are dull, repetitious, and boring. Not interesting, not informative, not entertaining. Your command of the written word is virtually nonexistent. Your continual use of the same words, over and over, is about the extent of your communication skills. You don't give anyone anything to anticipate. Talk about bing alone, and nothing to do - that's "your" life. Buh by Buttercup. Time to go, cartoons are coming on. Can't say it hasn't been dull, and uninspiring. Be sure to eat recycled food, and have a nice next life.

JOAT Don't believe everything you think.

Reply to
J T

Because they acknowledge the fallen soldiers in Iraq, and "ignoring" what are nothing more than pastes from news releases isn't consonant with thinking about people dying in Iraq (i.e., devoting conscious thought to it as it is happening)?

Why is it necessary that he have an underlying agenda to support some organization you don't like? Why can't you just recognize that he doesn't want people dying in Iraq? Why? You disagree that the war in Iraq isn't legitimate. Fine. Why can't you be satisfied with that where instead you attribute some hidden agenda to his posts?

He is the worst possible spokesman for peace, as long as he doesn't merely post the news releases. I don't defend him for it when he does it, either. But he feels strongly about these people dying. He isn't alone. Why don't you just be satisfied with that, go on ignoring his posts, and let him disagree?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Magic? Just focus on the content: it's rather invariant.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Tue, Feb 7, 2006, 3:37pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@stick.com (2006.2257.261) doth now burble: and rec.woodworking is as appropriate

No, it's not, and well you know it. An appropriate venue would be some part of the government. You know, someone in a psition to actually do something. But, you "don't" want anything done, so you won't. Weak Buttercup, weak.

Reply to
J T

If you are using Agent as a newsreader, you can easily filter out him by using the following expressions:

from: {[0-9]+.[0-9]}

- Matt

Reply to
Matt Stachoni

What is the stated rationale behind the current policy? If they are doing it differently that they did during Vietnam, what are the reasons they are giving?

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

There was nothing hidden about his agenda during his earlier postings. He just devolved later from the "... until all our soldiers are out of Iraq" comments to nothing but expletives and poor attempts at ad hominem.

... snip

Mark & Juanita

The best way to killfile him is to ignore him. Reacting to him just feeds him. If everyone would just ignore him he would eventually just go play with himself.

Reply to
Tom

Tom,

You are exactly right. It is unfortunate that I view this newsgroup in Google and I have no choice but to see his drivel but it is easy to scroll beyond.

All in all, he is only an irritant--that's all. I understand how you guys that view this group differently can get pounded with garbage though.

This guy has never said in any constructive way what he thinks he can accomplish by doing what he is doing. Does he really think anybody in Washington gives a rat's ass about what is being posted in rec.woodworking or any other group? First off, we all have free speech and he is allowed that right, too. Problem is that the troops who are in places like Iraq are fighting for such liberties over there as well. Many, many servicemen have died to give this troll--and ALL of us--the ability to voice our opinion.

So unless this guy can express his concerns and what he is trying to do in a calm, reasonable manner, the only reasonable thing the rest of us can do is let him have his fun and ignore him. We are happy because we don't respond or read this nonsense and he is happy because he thinks he is getting under our skin.

I personally think this is quickly becoming a joke and not an irritant anymore.

I ESPECIALLY love the "Buttercup" references from JOAT--you the man!

Reply to
busbus

Actually, to be fair, he has on a few occassions expressed himself in a coherent and reasonable (as reasonable as he can get) manner.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Well, if he has, I missed it. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I this person is beligerent and their point is hidden behind a bunch of rhetoric.

the war, doesn't like Bush, and wants to keep us up-to-date on the people who die in the war thinking that by giving us information like their name, rank, residence, and how and when they were killed it will...do...what?

"Buttercup" doesn't seem to get the point that by doing what he/she is doing is actually hardening our hearts towards his/her cause and not doing a *damn* thing to help change things in the way he/she wants them to be changed.

Reply to
busbus

It's easy to miss. He spews forth such a large volume of idiotic horseshit that when he does put forth a relatively coherent thought, it's easy to miss.

I agree.

He has a lot of beefs to be sure. He re-posts casualty notices here because he wants to constantly remind the people of this group that soldiers are dying in an action he disagrees with. I don't think those efforts will accomplish anything and I'm pretty sure he doesn't think they'll accomplish anything either. Yet, for the time being, he'll continue on his mission.

And yes, these efforts are surrounded by a healthy dose of anti-Bush rhetoric and a massive amount of juvenile retorts.

Well, try not to let your heart become hardened because of some half- whacked usenet kook.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

... snip

I'd say he's closer to fully-whacked. But your advice is sound. Sometimes I think people respond to the trolls posts after having ignored them for a period of time because it is cathartic, particularly for those who aren't filtering, but having to page through or ignore the posts manually. Doesn't do a bit of good of course, but does make the respondent feel better that he has let off some steam.

Mark & Juanita

Hasn't this gone on about long enough? Even using Outlook Express, it only takes a few seconds to select his message, hit "block sender" & let it delete all his gibberish. When he pops up with a new set of numbers and BS, whack him again!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

What's the fun in that? One advantage to replying to this kook is to point out how lousy his life must be. It's comforting when examining are own miserable lives to see someone else who is so much further down the line that it can't help but make us feel better about ourselves. Compared to this dead soldier idiot, it's easy as hell to realize that I'm doing ok.

Reply to
Upscale

IMHO, I don't think this guy's agenda has a thing to do with honest protest or activism. I think he is using that as a vehicle to incite this group with his holier than thou rantings. I think he may have been a poster here who got flamed (maybe repeatedly). He may still be a regular poster here using an alter ego identity. I think he is all about trying to be intellectually dominant but, because he doesn't really have what it takes, inevitably fails and ends up resorting to his foul and angry outbursts. I doubt he was ever in the service or whether there is any truth to anything he says about himself. The way he acts, he may just be a teenager trying to piss off and mess with the grown ups.

The only way I know how to view this site is through Google on Internet Explorer. I see no way of screening or "kill filing". How do you view this group through Outlook?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Years ago we had a somewhat likeable, but quite loony poster in another group. Someone mentioned putting him in their kill file and he launched into a schpiel about reporting the threat to the proper authorities. He thought a kill file was some sort of hit list for death squads or something. Needless to say we ran with it and played with him a bit...

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Chuck, I assume your ISP(internet service provider) is gmail. You should be able to go through them for a news feed. My ISP is madbbs.com, and I go to news.madbbs.com, where I can get a download of all the newsgroups they carry, then select the ones I wish to participate in. Then my newsgroups show up in the "folders" list on the left side of the screen(along with Inbox, Deleted, Sent, etc.). When I open any of my newsgroups, it downloads any new message headers. If I'm interested, I click on a message and it downloads the message body, displaying it in the preview screen. If it's one from the "numbers" idiot, then I click on the "message" in the top toolbar, select "Block sender" from the drop-down menu, then follow my nose. Every time he changes his "numbers", I just do it again. Right now there are about

10 different versions of him in my blocked senders list.

I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions on news readers out there, and I'm sure they are all considered very good by the people who use them. I've been satisfied enough to stay with "Outhouse Express" as some like to call it. This is also influenced by my ISP, who I consider excellent. They run a program called "Viracom", and I receive almost NO spam, have not had a virus attack get to me in a long, long time. I run AVG, regularly updated & scan my system, and it hasn't found anything.

I'm sure this thread will now expand into a discussion of the different newsreaders group members use.(G,D&R)

Reply to
Norman D. Crow