OT: How can I killfile the idiot

I can build a boat and drive it, I can build a car and drive it, but I don't know how to killfile this dumbass that keeps posting the Iraq casualties. Can someone help me. I'm running Outlook express 6. I know its OT but I'm sick of it.

Reply to
Rich

You will have to killfile him constantly. Becaause, like most trolls, he changes his addy constantly.

Just click on the message, then go the Message menu on top of the page. Click it, the drop down menu then shows Block Sender. Click this. A popup box asks if you want to clear this sender out of your files, I usually click yes.

I have done this in other newsgroups with a trollor two and had the number of messages drop dramatically.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'm using a variety of filters that are mostly effective, but I don't use Outlook or Windows, so can advise on specifics.

Filter on common words in his subject lines, and IP address, is what I do.

For instance, filter on "died when","killed in", "killed when", "has been killed","DoD identifies", "death of", etc.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You have to do this over and over again. He keeps changing so you can't block him.

Reply to
CW

Sorry to butt in. I missed the OPs 1st message.

I find, using Free Agent [or Agent] that I can click on the top of the header window and select "Subject" for the order. Then, with all the same headers lined up likes ducks in a gallery select them all, and delete. It takes a couple of seconds with practice.

Reply to
Guess who

Give us something to respect. Tell them to post in another newsgroup that doesn't begin with "Wood".

Reply to
Guess who

MoveOn.Org, after the last election, found themselves awash in money, (from Soros), but no place to go. MoveOn.org, formed to support the candidateship of Gov Howard Dean by two California activists, proved to be eye-openingly successful and probably can take some credit (responsibility?) that the Governor made it as far as he did. After the election, they mutated into a political action committee, and enlisted the aid of some of the more computer savvy activists in their ranks.

Usually classified as part of the Democratic Party's far Left "Progressive" movement wing, they are the mirror image of the far Right evangelical movement that pulls the Republican party from time to time. And every bit as annoying, too.

Utilizing some time honor methods, updated to the virtual world, they now supply mailing lists to their far flung cadre that, in turn, posts them to various popular newsgroups. If you want to read every anti-Republican, anti-Bush editorial written in any newspaper, blog, or leftist think-tank, (no matter how insignificant) just get on their mailing list.

They are not trolls in the usual sense, but are trying to create a groundswell anti-war movement.

Mainstream Democratic activists would like to "turn them off" since their continuous stream of polemic postings are now becoming counter-productive, in effect, mobilizing and hardening the anti-progressive forces.

I have no idea if "our" poster is associated with the movement or not, or if he's just trying to demonstrate his relevance to the world by annoying everyone, even those that might otherwise agree with his position.

***************************** At any rate, in Outlook go to... Message Create Rule from Message Under #1 Select Conditions for your rule, I recommend that select the limitation of this NG, in case some of the other NG's you might frequent would have legitimate use for some of the code words

Then, you might check, "where the subject lines contains specific words"

Under #2, check "delete the message"

And then in the open space below, insert the specific words. Caution. Think carefully about the words you use. You can use and number of words, along with Boolean operators.

It's not terribly difficult once you see the procedure for yourself.

********************** Then again, you can just "block sender". He has infinite numbers, but I've never reached any limit that Outlook might have, and I've never noticed any appreciable slowdown, even with hundreds of blocked senders. ********************** The ONLY way a killfile works effectively is if you actually use it.
Reply to
Amused

In Outlook Express 6

Click on "Tools", then "Message Rules then News".

Click on "New". Select "Where the subject line contains specific words" in box 1

Click "Contains specific words" in box 3

Type in key words he uses then click "Add"

I use : Iraq, soldier, killed. etc.

Only problem is if someone legitimate types in a message like "My shop Dog was Killed" you WILL NOT see it.

Reply to
stoutman

Also

Pvt. Cpl. Sgt.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Download a copy of Nfilter (aka NewsProxy) from my site at

download a copy of my filter file for it (see my sig line).

Once you get that up and running, you won't see any of that idiot's posts again. Comments at the beginning of the filter file provide more information, and I and others here (notably Robert Bonomi) can give you help setting this up if you need it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

He's not a troll. Trolls can be reasonably healthy, but with little time on their hands. This cookie is seriously disturbed.

The best way [I'll be there after this message] is to use a "filter", starting on the headers. You won't even see his trash. He won't be around without someone to feed him.

Reply to
Guess who

It must be a miserable existence when you take such delight in irritating people.

Reply to
Tom

Well it does not really bother me and I feel a bit bad about trying to 'ignore' the posts tbh.

In any event his replies sure show he has some kind of issues. Its easy enough to scroll past them to the next topic. But as others have mentioned you can use keywords since I assume there is something specific about the postings you dont like that you should be able to textually identify.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Mon, Feb 6, 2006, 2:56am (EST+5) this= snipped-for-privacy@putter.com (2006.2237.98.000) doth burble: Keep your head up your ass...... you'll eventually solve the problem. I ain't maken' em moron, but try to show some respect....

Well, hi there Buttercup. I see your phoney e-mail is changed again; and, your command of the written word is still mediocre. Kinda ironic isn't it? I mean "you", telling someone "else" to show respect, when youself shows absolutely no respect, to the fallen, or their families. You must feel so fulfilled. Ah, well, such is the nature of trolldom. Sad really. Well, keep doing your bit to preserve our national resources - eat recycled food, and have a nice next life.

JOAT Have a nice day! Someplace else.

Reply to
J T

Use Newsproxy and he's gone forever. Works for me.

Reply to
bob

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

There are a couple of very simple magic incantations that will catch everything the idjit has posted so far.

I'm not going to put them on public display -- that would allow him to circumvent them. *sigh*

Anybody can e-mail me about them, and *IF* i recognize you as a constructive poster in the newsgroup, I'll share.

Robert Bonomi snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Mon, Feb 6, 2006, 12:19pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Sweet=A0Sawdust) doth state: At least give your real name if you are not ashamed to so, I would be if I were you.

But, if he used his real name, then he wouldn't be anonnymouse anymore. I just call him Buttercup.

JOAT Don't believe everything you think.

Reply to
J T