OT - Hi Boys and Girls I'm Back

Page 1 of 2
Well, after a three year stint at trying to get a house built (Actual build time 1 1/2 years and a contractor that couldn't finish the job). A crashed computer with my restore disks stored somewhere in one of two storage sheds. And no time anyway because I had to finish what a crook contractor couldn't do at the price he said he could do it at. I won't even go into how may underhanded low down drug taking people I've met in the construction business. But, it's done to the point we can live in it. Some cabinets & molding work still needs to be done. But, Thanksgiving (of which we are very) and Christmas will be a real celebration for us this year.
Some may remember me, some don't. But on Usenet nobody cares anyway. I've been around since the internet was young. Before Al Gore claimed there was one. I was here when El Guapo was the talk of the town. I was here when JOAT was a 14 year old grummpy old man fresh on line with WebTv. How ya doing JOAT man? Tom Watson are you still telling your stories? I was here during the spammer attacks. But, it's good to see many of you are still here. I have come back home.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
Roy Neudecker

I don't remember you, but I really, really care.....ohwhatthehell..... *hugs*.

Yeuch... geeze - don't do that stuff in public. At least go out in the shed...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Welcome back. I don't have first-hand experience, but I know you can speed construction work by buying all the materials and paying the labor when the work is completed to your satisfaction. If one contractor refuses, there's always another that is willing.
Happy Turkey Day!
ROYNEU wrote:
... snip

Welcome back; sounds like a tough 3 years.

ROYNEU wrote:

Roy, baby...howzit??

Thanks, you too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
While you were gone
Dubya took out The Cabal.
Fundamentalist Insurgent Woodworkers are opposing the installed replacements to The Cabal
Shellac prices have, as you know, sky rocketed.
Wood is now being sold in BM (board meters) and prices are now quoted in Euros.
Canadians are buying up cheap American products now that the exchange rate has tilted so far in their favor. Their snapping up "cheap" Lie Nielsen planes by the dozens. They're also taking tool hunting vacations to US flea markets hoping to pick up Stanley planes and chisels for a song.
O'Deen is looking into getting dual citizenship and going through his change jar looking for Canadian coins.
Rumor has it that Lee Valley and Veritas are re- evaluating their business plan.
Purchasing a Festool tool now requires a credit check to qualify for 36 month loans.
Oh - and the price of a barrel of oil has gone from $60 to pushing $100 (US) - that's $70 (Can) to $45 (Can).
Katrina and Iraq needed all the plywood being manufactured - in the world - so ply prices went through the roof. Thankfully most of us don't use much copper in our woodworking projects because copper prices went vertical too. Nobody is even thinking of rewiring their shops. The folks worried about Static Discharge in their dust collection system ducts are now using silver wire since it's now cheaper than copper wire.
Tom Plamann has gone Pro - and built a HUGE phreakin' shop and finally got to make the "groined dome ceiling" he's been wanting to do for years.
http://www.plamann.com/groinedceilingforoffice.html
We got nailed by a pet owner whose dog ate something like anitfreeze. posted a question here and all hell broke out for months.
Bennett and Strickland got into it about precision and accuracy.
And that's about it. Sort of like soap operas. Watch two days worth after missing a few years and you're all caught up.
charlie b
charlieb wrote:

snip
Hey, I missed the dog story. Must have been while my N-Filter was set on "stun".
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Oh, Charlie I thought W was the head of the Cabal. See here all along I thought his strained speaking style was carring secret messages to the membership.
So does this mean we are officially a 3rd world Country? If we are maybe we can start sending all the work back to the people who live here.
Is O'Dean still selling shellac? Has he gotten filthy rich since the prices have gone up?
Roy
Thanks Charlie I needed that!
Hi Roy
Can't say as I recall your name (not that that means anything) but I remember all of the events that you have described. Welcome back! I can sympathize about certain contractors. My wife and I did all the internal construction on our own house after we got some very frightning quotes (many included above board and below board prices). It took us 2 years from start to finish (house only no landscaping) including the birth of our first child. But at the end we were both exhausted from 12 to 16 hour days seven days a week as we both had full time jobs. Ever wonder where Spokeshave went? Just unloaded my latest purchase, a decent table saw, posted a pic of it in the truck on A.B.P.W. under "The Beast".
George Anderson Montreal Canada
Clear skies and good health
ROYNEU wrote:

-
Hi George,
Thank you for the welcome back from you and everybody.
Sorry to read that about the hours spend working a job and on the house. That is where I was at. I've taken a few weekends off and I feel like a new man.
I do remember Spokeshave.He was certainly a good read. I know in the Spam wars a lot of guys got tired of the constant bombardment of garbage. Some change their screen names to avoid the attacks. I am happy to see it has calmed down.
I work for a Canadian company. Maybe you know the name. QuebecorWorld, Inc.?

I wonder where the Duke of URLs is and how he's doing. And I miss Paully (RIP) and David (Pauls friend and Chief Lizard keeper. Tom
The "Duke" stays over in a forum that he helped create.
http://www.owwm.org
I don't believe he has been back here in a few years now.
I also miss a number of the old timers myself.
Tom Bunetta wrote:

Tom,
Help me remember was Paully the gent from Down Under (Australia). The Jara King. He was the inventor of the term "Piney Wood" wasn't he? Has he trully died? Or, just gone?
ROYNEU wrote:

No. The Aussie gent is Phully who lives in western Australia and makes fine (really fine) furniture for a living. Some of his Jarra stuff will take your breath away.
I'm not sure where "piney wood" came from although Phully and Jim McNamara (Jummy) had a long standing dialog. Jummy is a musician who makes rather nice stuff from pine when he doesn't have a gig. Hence pine became Jummywood. As an afterthought, I added the term Western or Pacific Jummywood (doug fir) since that is what you buy at the borgs here in lala land.
You might want to google Phully. He does have a website.
    mahalo,     jo4hn

Thanks, John. Good to see your still here, too.
Yes, Phully.I believe I remember the story was that Jim had gone to Australia and visted Phully. I believe bought some of his stuff. When he got back Phully was playing with Jim about using that old piney wood. I can't remember when the Jummywood began. It might have been right around that same time. It's not all that important as to where it came from but I really liked the play on words between the two of them.
Roy
Paul was the teacher of shellac (and finishing in general) before O'Deen went into the business, He and David hosted Spokeshave in Florida for a spokeshave making class... He also told the tale of making his workbench from bowling alley wood he, David and I went down to haul away (main reason I didn't bother with mine). Paul also presented me with my very own Klown Hammer, a most prized possession. I met the Duke around the same time, at Paul's funeral after (as a joke) sending a piece of cherry VIA UPS to him as he was enamoured (very publically) with it ( and rightly so). Tom
wrote in message

Well, I don't remember the piece of cherry. But do remember well the Klown Hammer presentation and the bowling alley wood. It seems to me you were very supprised with how many fasteners it had in it. I am still having trouble placing Paul though. Although I seem to remember Spokeshave going to Florida. I guess my memory is being selective.
Roy
OK my poor mrmory of names is gonna embarass me again... Paul Radovich; Radanovitch? Paully Rad was more common. Dave's sig was Another Jewish carpenter.

BTW - O'Deen turned over the shellac thing to someone in Ohio. don't know if it's still the same people, but Shellac.net is still around - with the same selection of shellacs plus some shellac related stuff. I've run out of dewaxed garnet and almost out of Platina. Guess it's time to order some more - hopefully packaged in stronger baggies. I LOVE shellac - the grinding, mixing, stirring - WAITING - shaking and swirling the mason jar and then discovering the lid isn't on quite tight enough, ... And when the wait is almost over, almost because I always want to use it before it's really completely ready. Then the Shellac Miracle as the first - and the next ten coats - take the wood from "interesting" to "WOW!"
ANYWAY, you can still get shellac flakes from in case you're going through shellac withdrawl and the In The Can stuff just ain't good enough.
http://www.shellac.net
charlie b