OT: Here's to a man who needs a wheelbarrow to cart his balls around.

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Geez, hasn't Texaco heard of "call before you dig"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHol4ICeDoo

Good video with actual footage.
Steve
On 10/14/2010 9:49 AM, HeyBub wrote:

My dad did his Master's thesis based on gravity meter surveys of the Hockley Salt Dome in Texas. Guess who got to ride the bucket down with the instruments at the age of ten years ...
If you ever want to see a geographic representation of salt domes in this part of the world, take a look at any Gulf Coast area Tobin map.
Since many of these salt domes acted as hydrocarbon traps, the oil wells drilled to exploit these traps down through years, and their cumulative locations displayed on the map, neatly delineate the outline of each salt dome.
Every Tobin of the area shows these circular rings of well locations ... and you're right, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of them that fall in this category.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Heh! I, too, have been down in the Hockley mine. It's a hoot!
Interestingly, salt mines are not required to have ventilation shafts or multiple access tunnels. None has ever been known to cave, blow up, or say naughty words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Peigneur
Verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy Interesting!
Musta been a hell of a sight.
Had to be major scary for anyone close.
The list of the equipment that went down the drain is unbelievable. Do you know how big a drilling rig and eleven barges are. Gone as in disappeared.
I wonder if it was, "Oh, Shit!" or "Oops!"
Steve

LOL!! Best part of the story!!

I don't think that we need to worry about that. The capsule was only 21" in diameter! Most of us are too "hefty" to fit into that tiny enclosed space.
Isn't that a relief?
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

66" waist? Wowsa.

Nah, very broad shoulders, like Arnie but bigger :-)
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

There's two seats behind the motor on a Bell 213, also called a Huey AH1. They are wide enough for two "average" men. The door will knock you in the knees if you aren't watching when they shut it. An hour in one of those two seats with a "hefty" fellow passenger is challenging.
Steve

You know you're in trouble when your flight to Las Vegas calls for those needing assistance and everyone except you gets up - and there is a Bucket of seat belt extenders waiting for them ...

You'd be no good as a miner then!
It's also very dark in a mine, darker than you could ever imagine and never silent, little noises, creaking and groaning.

I know nothing about mining in other countries but in the UK where "deep mining" for coal was the norm, miners descended the pit shaft, up to about a mile deep in some, in a "cage" about 6ft square and packed in like sardines.

If you ask my wife ... the word heard all through the house, in MY voice was ....
"Down ???"
Amen.
Large, and .... most likely brass.
On 10/12/2010 9:23 PM, Robatoy wrote:

In addition, Hats off to the drillers, and the expertise shown by their company, who accomplished an astounding engineering feat in order to make the rescue possible.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

This Jeff Hart character is interesting. Used to drill wells, he's developed a 'feel' for his machinery. Word has it he just 'knows' what's going on at the end of his drill; feels it with the vibrations in his feet. The whole operation was fascinating.