OT: Haulin' with the 'gate down...Was Trucks

Page 1 of 3
One caution about hauling lumber that is longer than the truck bed by leaving the tailgate down.
I did this once. Had about thirty carefully selected, straight KD twobys in the PU. Lashed those babies in with lots of rope and trucker's hitches. They weren't going anywhere.
Came to a stoplight and I'm in the left of three lanes. An eighth mile ahead I need to be in the right lane to get on the interstate. No problem, I'll just out drag the other two cars and change lanes. Light goes green and I take off.
In the coefficient of friction v. acceleration contest, acceleration wins and a bunch of twobys start dropping on the street. So I slam on the brakes and scoot what's left of them back into the truck.
Now to make a U-turn I have to go under the interstate to the next light and turn around. As I do I can see in the rearview that some good Samaritans have parked their truck on the side of the road and are dragging the lumber out of the traffic lanes. Whew, I can relax.
When I finally get back to the scene, the "good Samaritans" have loaded my lumber in their truck and left the scene.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Mar 8, 2005, 1:34pm (EST-2) n7ws_@*yahoo.com (Wes Stewart) laments: <snip> When I finally get back to the scene, the "good Samaritans" haveloaded my lumber in their truck and left the scene.
On the bright side, they got a nice gloat out of it. LOL
βœ–
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:47:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

So did Wes, as he didn't get a visit from a cop wanting to talk about improperly secured loads, vehicle damage, and witness accounts.
DAMHIKT, but it wasn't me.
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
I watched this happen at a traffic light. Guy emptied the bed of his jacked up Ram of a whole stack of deck materials, (2x's and 1x's). They landed in the intersection in a perfect pile just like they were in the bed. I stopped laughing long enough to get out and help a bunch of people help him reload it all.
SteveP.

Add pictures here
βœ–
lucky for me I have backroads where I can take my time (and do)...love it better in the NYC area where the BMW/Lexus/Accuras get the plywood/lumber/shower stalls/you name it tied to the roof, drive like they usually do (picture a donkey) and then learn all about the aerodynamics of flight (they should pay a little more attention to the Discovery Channel). Good shopping (cheap) along most roads anywhere near a HD around here if you have ever played the video game Frogger.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Highland Pairos responds:

up Ram of a whole stack of deck materials, (2x's and 1x's). They landed in the intersection in a perfect pile just like they were in the bed. I stopped laughing long enough to get out and help a bunch of people help him reload it all. <<
Years and years and years ago, I gave my brother some sheet siding, heavy stucco look stuff from Masonite as it was then, to cover an old shed my mother had. He showed up in his ratty work pick-up, with no tailgate. It was one of the few times in the past three decades I didn't have a truck of some kind. So we loaded the 20 or so sheets of, IIRC, 9/16" or some such, and I offered to tie it into the bed. He refused. Not necessary. Didn't want to waste any more f***ing time. All that good brotherly love stuff. He drove into downtown Bedford, heading for route 43, turned uphill at the light and stepped on it. The entire package slid right off the bed.
One more reason for not following too closely, even in a city (in Virginia, small towns are cities if they want to be).
A decade or so ago, my brother made the statement it was my f***ing fault.
Probably so. I should have tied a single sheet at a time to the top of my Mustang II coupe and driven each of them the 25 miles over to Mom's.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ohmygawd! I can't believe you said that in a public forum... I had a Vega GT wagon years and years and years ago, but least it twernt no Mustang II...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Now wait a minute! I had a '74 Mustang II and it was an absolute kick in the pants. It had a crank open sunroof and my best buddy and I would go down by the beach and sit on the roof with our legs inside and enjoy the tunes and a cool beverage while scoping the "scenery". It was easy on gas and handled nicely. Overall it was one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned. Sold it to go to college.
OWWR (sort of) - it had a fake wood dash.
--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass
βœ–
Tim Douglass responds:

Now wait a minute! I had a '74 Mustang II and it was an absolute kick in the pants. It had a crank open sunroof and my best buddy and I would go down by the beach and sit on the roof with our legs inside and enjoy the tunes and a cool beverage while scoping the "scenery". It was easy on gas and handled nicely. Overall it was one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned. Sold it to go to college.<<
One thing my MII wasn't was easy on gas. Little 302 V8, with an oversized carb and 4 speed kind of brought on the urge to move. Trouble is, that short wheelbase wasn't made for speed, nor for low speed traction in the wet. That thing would spin out on a gob of spit.
Add pictures here
βœ–

[Charlie]

I had the 4 cyl. with a little bit of hotting up. The 302 was too heavy for the car and made it handle like a pig - but it was *much* faster in a straight line. I was more into curves in those days (on the road - now I look for curves elsewhere[1]) and the MII was a good match with my motorcycle. I tuned the suspension and put good tires on it and just drove it to death.
[1] on furniture, of course. What did you think? ;-)
--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass
βœ–

That's more than "worked the engine over" - more like a transplant.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sorta like Chevy did with the Corvettes. They took the 265 cid in the '56 'Vette like I once owned (Damn I wish I had that car back) and turned it into the 427 cid LS7 in the new Z06. Hey, it's still a "small block."
And they haven't even raised the price. A new Z06 is ~$75K and a nicely restored '56 just went for $75K at auction.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Wes Stewart notes:

'56 'Vette like I once owned (Damn I wish I had that car back) and turned it into the 427 cid LS7 in the new Z06. Hey, it's still a "small block."
And they haven't even raised the price. A new Z06 is ~$75K and a nicely restored '56 just went for $75K at auction. <<
I got curious last night, after spending parts of two days staring at a '57 Bel Air coupe last weekend, so ran some Google searches on '57 Chevs. Restored '57 convertibles like the one I had in '57 are selling in the high 70s, low 80s. Coupes are selling for 60 or so.
Not a single cherry unrestored version like the one I saw, though. Someone had a '71 Mustang that was similar, but of less interest to me.
At the show, I discovered that over the years, at least around here, it is not uncommon for people to buy new cars, drive them home, put them on jackstands and wait. If they pick the right car--and given what I saw at ths show, it is hard NOT to--they've got a decent retirement package. According to the owner of the '57, it gets started every month, and run through the gears (on the stands).
Add pictures here
βœ–
.

Charlie... stick your money in almost any mutual fund...hell of a lot better ROI
In my garage right now (and they will not come out to play until April fools day...my traditional start of my driving season) are : 68 SS 396 Chevelle 62 , 64, and 72 Corvette Ragtops 76 79 & 95 Corvette Coupes... all equipped ...most the right way and all were "shown" last summer...
YES they are worth some good money... BUT if I had to raise some money quickly I would be in a world of hurt.. I would most likely make a few bucks...BUT over the years I had to "invest" in Insurance, had to invest in licence fees, had to fix and repair them and on more then a few occasions had a hell of a time finding "correct"....(very important word)... parts ...Friend of mine just forked over $2,000 bucks to replace the radiator in his 58 Vette of course everything including numbers build date etc were "correct" Hell Pep boys sold a radiator that would fit for under a 100 bucks..and the car WAS an original fulie.. to buy an original fuel injection unit NOW would mean spending between $5,000 to $7000 bucks..depending if everything "had" to be correct. He plans on keeping the Carburetor on it for a few more years...
You DO NOT invest in a car.... You ENJOY the damn things.. You DRIVE them. AND you measure your return on investment in smiles per mile..
Getting 6-7 miles per gallon on hightest gasoline at todays prices can make "tooling" around town a little expensive... Sure you can pussy foot the things and get 9-10 miles per gallon...BUT what THE HELL.. Plant right foot...smile... !
I can relate however to wishing to still own a car...when I married my wife in 1965 she drove a 55 Chevy Be lair hardtop, V8... while I was driving a VW beetle .... Shortly after we were married "we" sold the Chevy (no place to park it & it burned oil) and kept the VW....
Bob Griffiths .
Add pictures here
βœ–
Fri, Mar 11, 2005, 2:26pm rg327_remove snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Bob G.) claims: <snip> 76 79 & 95 Corvette Coupes... <snip> If they have removable parts of the tops, they ain't coupes.
βœ–
Bob Griffiths notes:

wife in 1965 she drove a 55 Chevy Be lair hardtop, V8... while I was driving a VW beetle .... Shortly after we were married "we" sold the Chevy (no place to park it & it burned oil) and kept the VW.... <<
Yes, well there ae two cars I'd like to have back. My first new car, '57 Chev with dual 4s, Duntov cam, close ratio 3 speed, 11-1 compression ratio (be fun paying for gas for that baby today). The other was my girlfriend's car after I got back from the service, a '59 or '60 Lark. Not for the car, but for the memories. Miserable car and she traded it on a Plymouth Valiant.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Tell you what Charlie, I'll sell you my 59 Lark; it's still parked on Dad's farm. ;-)
βœ–
Mark & Juanita responds:'>>Yes, well there ae two cars I'd like to have back. My first new car,

Tell you what Charlie, I'll sell you my 59 Lark; it's still parked on
Dad's farm. ;-) <<
As I said, not for the car, but for the memories. Or maybe to be that age again.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Probably just as well; my aunt (mom's twin) who sold it to me when I was in high school probably would still be upset with me if I sold it now. Her dad gave it to her, and she drove it all the way to 1976.
Must be something about Larks and memories.
βœ–
If its close to Dallas I'd be interested!
Grant
Charlie Self wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–