OT: Hand/Twist "Garden Tiller"

Page 3 of 3
Don't forget the Preen. You may never stop fighting the vines if they seeded the grounds...
Martin
On 6/23/2015 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:

On 6/24/2015 11:27 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I've never found preen to work. My wife would always swear by it, but we always worked hard at removing the weeds after.
--
Jeff

It is only for seeds. It inhibits germination. Roots keep growing.
Grass seed in gardens next to the grass is prime.
Martin
On 6/25/2015 12:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Add chickens if you want one more thing to worry about. Lay down a tarp to cut the sun light and nothing will grow.
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

True, nothing will grow, but the chickens will eventually begin to smell bad.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've got 3 large "hens and chicks" which I hope will colonize the area, at least a lot of it! ; )
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 1:10:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

Depending on the variety of Hens and Chicks you have, you may need to help it along if you want it to spread. Read more about it here:
http://www.youngs-garden.com/succulents/planting-hens-and-chicks/
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank you. That link is very helpful. I hope my soil isn't "too good" for them. Since they will be on a 10 foot diameter "mound"which is perhaps 1 foot high, that should help with drainage.
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 4:44:54 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

tarp

ell bad.

,

elp it along if you want it to spread. Read more about it here:

I can speak to drainage issues first, well second, hand.
SWMBO runs a greenhouse at a farm that is used as a day-hab for disabled ad ults. She has hens and chicks growing in an old sink as a decoration. She w as having problems with them until she realized that they were getting too much water from the timer-based sprinkler system. She moved the sink to a d ryer zone and they are doing quite well now.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

They should be happy here, if they don't mind the direct sunlight. It's raining here today, so I'll move them in within the next couple of days. My experience with hens and chicks has 2 elements:
- They grew well where I grew up in the midwest, which in retrospect had a somewhat sandy soil in general.
- Someone gave me a pot of them a long while back as a gift, and I enjoyed them as an apartment dweller in 3 states. I took good care of them and they grew well and they eventually outgrew their pot. So I bought them a bigger container and some "decent" potting soil which I mixed with some dirt. In a few days they turned to "mush" and I discarded them. Sort of hurt my feelings....
Each of these experiences are consistent with the link that you sent.
Cheers, Bill