OT Gloat

Page 1 of 2
OK, this has absolutely nothing to do with woodworking or the wreck, but I had to share it with someone and the audio groups all officially suck.
Test-riding a new bike yeseterday, when I happened to go past a house which had put out its recycling for pickup the next morning.
On top of the plastic nut buckets (Costco things--recognise 'em a mile away) and the carefully washed tin cans was a chunk of audio gear. Pulled out a shiny, clean, VERY well-kept Marantz 2238B receiver, circa 1978.
Works a treat--not even a burnt out bulb. Hmm. Maybe I'll put it in the shop--that would almost make this an official woodworking gloat.
Colin

throw out some of those big ole humongous speakers we were prone to use in the 70's to go with it.
Colin B. wrote:

You suck!

Damn!
That would bring hundreds of bucks at the local retro stereo store.

He'd get $150 or so for it on eBay...not bad for trash! I bet some kid advised grandma to get rid of the junk that doesn't even play MP3s or get satellite.
Colin B. wrote:

Harmon Kardon Amp. What a beauty.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Colin B. wrote:

Cool, although by this time it might need some caps replaced. However if it works then that's a score for sure.

Yeah, I'll give it a quick once over, clean the pots as necessary, but if it's been used regularly, the caps should still be in good shape. From what I remember (and it's been a while!), electrolytics die mostly through disuse.
Colin

COOL!! (As I sit listening to the Saturday morning show on KVMR, on my Fisher 220).
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

One does wonder what they replaced it with.
--John

Probably a Sony 7.1 surround sound "800 Watt" (really less than 10WPC RMS) do-everything-poorly home theatre receiver.
Or maybe I'm being cynical, and they've replaced it with something more like my main stereo.
Colin

I love old audio gear like that. But I like TOOOBS!

Knowing your warped mind, you may be thinking of something else when you say "TOOOBS!", but my first thought when I was his message was to wonder what the tubes would sell for.

Nope, nothing sinister. Just a kick-in-the-nuts-grade reminder that trading a Marantz 7C for a pair of Bryston 4B's wasn't the best move I ever made, but HAD to as the 7C wouldn't give me adequate sound levels through the electrostatics I was using at the time. Collectors pay silly money for TOOOBS from justabout any manufacturer of that vintage.
Do you recall Ring Audio on Irwin, there, Dave?

Irwin Ave is only four blocks from where I live. I can't remember ever seeing a Ring Audio there, but there is a Ring Audio near Queen and Broadview. I've been in there before, but never had the money to buy. It was always fun to window shop though.

Ring moved from Irwin and Bay to Queen and Spadina (approx. across from that big fire) in the early 80's. Then closed shop and the repair department moved to Queen & Broadview. The whole CD generation kinda wiped out those fringe lunatic audiophiles who needed to spend $ 1800.00 on a phono cartridge made out of solid piece of unobtanium hand rubbed with the vaginal juices of a young Newfoundland virgin, a rare commodity indeed.

Whew. Still holding out for the 4B in my system.

I shared some manufacturing space with the Russell brothers (Bryston) for a while and got to know them well. Bryston builds one the finest transistor amps in the business and they're just a great bunch of people who are a role model for anybody who wants to build an electronic equipment business. Value for money and superb service.
http://www.bryston.ca/4bsst_m.html
From Abbey Road Studios to Lucasfilm and everyone in between... http://www.bryston.ca/user1.html

Yep. I've alwayas liked the fact that they're one of the very very few audiophile gear manufacturers who don't rely on unstable electronics, secret parts, fairy dust, or outright magic to create their mystique. Instead, they massively over-design, over-engineer, build precisely, and then publish their schematics! Gotta love it.
Colin

A lot of the philosophy behind their designs was confirmed by the findings of Dr. Floyd E. Toole. All well designed POWER amplifiers sound the same, until driven into distraction. Input over-load, complex impedance on the output drivers, output overload etc. Some manufacturers stabilise their shoddy amplifiers by applying gobs of feedback resulting in odd-order harmonic distortion (a component of THD). Properly designed amplifiers all sound the same when operating in their envelope.